Whitewood v. Wolf
Whitewood v. Wolf (orig. Whitewood v. Corbett) is a federal court challenge filed July 9, 2013, in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, by the ACLU on behalf of 23 plaintiffs — 10 couples, 2 of their children, and a widow — seeking to overturn Pennsylvania’s 1996 statutory ban on same-sex marriage. On Nov. 15, 2013, U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III rejected the state’s motion to dismiss the suit, and set the trial date for June 9, 2014.
- Tuesday, May 20, 2014PHILADELPHIA -- Gay and lesbian couples are racing to pick up marriage licenses in Pennsylvania after a federal judge threw out the state's ban on same-sex unions.
- Tuesday, May 20, 2014HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Pennsylvania's ban on same-sex marriage was overturned by a federal judge Tuesday in a decision that legalized the practice throughout the Northeast and sent couples racing to pick up licenses.
- Tuesday, May 20, 2014PHILADELPHIA -- Gay rights activists should know within hours whether Pennsylvania's ban on same-sex marriage will be overturned.
- Tuesday, April 22, 2014HARRISBURG, Pa. — Gov. Tom Corbett is now asking a federal judge to decide a constitutional challenge to Pennsylvania's law banning same-sex marriage without a trial.
- Monday, April 21, 2014HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Gay couples and others challenging Pennsylvania's 1996 law banning same-sex marriage asked a federal judge Monday to bypass a trial in favor of a quicker ruling in the case.
- Wednesday, January 15, 2014HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Federal court decisions to overturn bans on same-sex marriage in two conservative states may not have an immediate effect in Pennsylvania, the only northeastern state that does not recognize gay marriages.
- Tuesday, December 17, 2013HARRISBURG, Pa. -- A federal judge hearing a challenge to Pennsylvania's law banning recognition of same-sex marriages is keeping the case on track for trial by preventing an appellate review at this stage.
- Monday, December 16, 2013HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Lawyers in a federal court challenge to Pennsylvania's law that bans same-sex marriage on Monday accused the state's lawyers of using delay tactics and making unreasonable and intrusive requests for information from their…
- Friday, November 22, 2013HARRISBURG, Pa. -- The trial of a lawsuit challenging Pennsylvania's gay-marriage ban will be held in June, a federal judge said Friday.
- Friday, November 15, 2013HARRISBURG, Pa. -- A federal court challenge to Pennsylvania's 17-year-old law banning the recognition of same-sex marriages took an important step toward a trial Friday when a judge rejected two different attempts to block the lawsuit.