- Monday, August 5, 2013MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay -- Two gay men who have been together 14 years become the first same-sex couple to register to marry in Uruguay on Monday, just hours after the country's marriage equality law came into effect.
- Tuesday, May 7, 2013MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay — Uruguay's President Jose Mujica’s has signed the country's marriage equality bill into law, making the South American country the 12th nation in the world and third in the Americas to legalize same-sex marriage.
- Wednesday, April 10, 2013MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay -- Uruguay's lawmakers have voted to legalize same-sex marriage.
- Tuesday, April 2, 2013MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay -- Uruguayan lawmakers have voted in favor of a proposal to legalize same-sex marriage.
- Wednesday, December 26, 2012Amid heavy political controversy, Uruguay’s Senate on Wednesday unexpectedly postponed a vote on a marriage equality bill until its next session in April.
- Wednesday, December 12, 2012Uruguay moved a step closer to legalizing same-sex marriage on Tuesday after lawmakers in its lower house of Congress approved a single law governing marriage for both heterosexuals and homosexuals.
- Wednesday, September 9, 2009The Miami Herald. Uruguay, long-regarded as one of the most progressive countries in Latin America, set a standard for the region by allowing same-sex couples to adopt children with a bill that passed the Senate on…