U.S. House of Representatives
The United States House of Representatives is one of the two houses of the United States Congress. The major power of the House is to pass federal legislation that affects the entire country although its bills must also be passed by the Senate and further agreed to by the U.S. President before becoming law (unless both the House and Senate re-pass the legislation with a two-thirds majority in each chamber). Each U.S. state is represented in the House in proportion to its population but is entitled to at least one representative. [ Website ] [ Wikipedia ]
- Wednesday, February 4, 2015Two more GOP lawmakers have signed on as co-sponsors of the Respect for Marriage Act, raising the total to four Republicans supporting a bill that would fully repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act.
- Wednesday, January 7, 2015Democratic lawmakers kicked off the 114th Congress on Tuesday by reintroducing the Respect for Marriage Act, a bill that would fully repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.
- Wednesday, December 10, 2014U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley announced plans to introduce a broad measure aimed at preventing discrimination against LGBT Americans.
- Thursday, December 4, 2014WASHINGTON -- A U.S. House panel on Wednesday rejected an attempt to pass a version of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) as part of the annual defense authorization bill. The Washington Blade reports that the amendment…
- Monday, November 10, 2014SAN DIEGO -- Republican Carl DeMaio on Sunday conceded defeat to incumbent Scott Peters in one of the nation's most hotly contested congressional races to represent a large part of San Diego, ending a bitter campaign…
- Saturday, November 8, 2014SAN DIEGO -- Democrat U.S. Rep. Scott Peters on Friday won a second term to represent a large swath of San Diego in Congress following a bitter campaign that saw his Republican challenger on the defensive…
- Wednesday, November 5, 2014Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney of New York secured a second term representing the state's 18th district in the House of Representatives Tuesday night, fending off a strong challenger in a close contest.
- Wednesday, November 5, 2014PHOENIX -- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona secured another term in the House of Representatives Tuesday, defeating her challenger in the race to represent the state's 9th Congressional district.
- Tuesday, November 4, 2014PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Rep. David Cicilline of Rhode Island was reelected to the U.S. House of Representatives Tuesday night, defeating Republican Cormick Lynch to secure a third term in the state's First Congressional district.
- Tuesday, November 4, 2014BOSTON — Democrat Seth Moulton has won the race for Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District, defeating openly gay Republican Richard Tisei.