- Monday, May 4, 2015The court rejected an appeal from a convicted murderer who has been seeking taxpayer-funded sex-reassignment surgery in prison.
- Monday, March 16, 2015A federal judge in 2012 ordered the Massachusetts Department of Correction to grant the surgery to Michelle Kosilek, but that ruling was overturned in December by the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Tuesday, December 16, 2014Michelle Kosilek has waged a protracted legal battle for the surgery she says is needed to relieve the mental anguish caused by gender-identity disorder.
- Friday, January 31, 2014BOSTON -- Massachusetts prison officials on Friday said they will appeal a decision that would force them to provide taxpayer-funded sex-reassignment surgery for an inmate serving a life sentence for murder.
- Friday, January 17, 2014BOSTON -- A federal appeals court has upheld a judge's ruling granting a taxpayer-funded sex change operation for a Massachusetts transgender inmate serving a life sentence for murder.
- Saturday, March 2, 2013BOSTON — A federal appeals court will hear arguments in April in an appeal of a judge's ruling granting a taxpayer-funded sex change for a Massachusetts transgender inmate.
- Thursday, November 22, 2012BOSTON -- A federal judge, who earlier this year ordered that convicted murderer Michelle Kosilek be allowed taxpayer-funded gender reassignment surgery, ruled Tuesday that he would suspend his order until an appeal of his ruling by…
- Friday, October 5, 2012NORFOLK, Mass. -- Convicted murderer Michelle Kosilek — who was granted taxpayer-funded gender-reassignment surgery ordered by a federal judge — is demanding $698 in reimbursement for legal expenses for arguing her case from behind bars, and…
- Tuesday, September 4, 2012BOSTON -- A federal judge on Tuesday ordered the Massachusetts Department of Corrections to provide taxpayer-funded gender reassignment surgery to an inmate serving life in prison for murder, "because it is the only way to treat…