Melvin G. Talbert
- Tuesday, January 6, 2015A church statement says the case against retired Bishop Melvin G. Talbert is ending with a settlement that the denomination calls a "just resolution."
- Friday, March 14, 2014BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- A retired United Methodist bishop who performed a wedding ceremony for two Alabama men after they were refused permission to marry in the church now faces formal complaints over the ceremony.
- Sunday, February 9, 2014NEW YORK — The dispute among United Methodists over recognition of same-sex couples has lapsed into a doctrinal donnybrook, pitting clergy who are presiding at gay weddings in defiance of church law against proponents of traditional…
- Friday, November 15, 2013LAKE JUNALUSKA, N.C. -- The United Methodist Council of Bishops on Friday said it plans to file a complaint against a retired bishop who performed a wedding for two gay men in Alabama.
- Saturday, October 26, 2013BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- A retired United Methodist bishop performed a wedding for two gay men Saturday in Alabama despite opposition from other church leaders.
- Monday, October 14, 2013BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- A retired United Methodist bishop from Tennessee said Monday that he will perform a wedding service for two men in Alabama despite opposition from the presiding bishop, who says the ceremony will violate…