Latta v. Otter
Latta v. Otter is a federal court case challenging Idaho's constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and corresponding statutes, as well as state recognition of out-of-state marriages, and was filed Nov. 8, 2013 in U.S. District Court in Boise by the National Center for Lesbian Rights on behalf of four same-sex couples. [ Case files. ]
- Friday, February 6, 2015The legal team that successfully fought to overturn Idaho's ban on gay marriage has filed paperwork seeking an additional $300,000 in court costs.
- Thursday, January 15, 2015Idaho's Constitutional Defense Fund committee has approved the latest round of legal bills in Idaho's court fight over same-sex marriage.
- Friday, January 9, 2015The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has denied Gov. C. L. "Butch" Otter's request for a review of the court's ruling last year that overturned Idaho's ban on gay marriage.
- Friday, January 2, 2015Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter's main argument is that defining marriage as between one man and one woman is better for children.
- Monday, December 22, 2014U.S. Magistrate Judge Candy Dale on Friday awarded an amount that is about 10 percent less than what the lawyers requested.
- Wednesday, December 17, 2014Gov. Butch Otter says the Supreme Court should wait until it receives arguments from Idaho before deciding a case involving same-sex marriage in the U.S.
- Thursday, November 20, 2014BOISE, Idaho -- Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter wants to file additional arguments in his attempt to have an 11-judge panel review the three-judge ruling that overturned Idaho's same-sex marriage ban.
- Thursday, October 9, 2014BOISE, Idaho -- Four Idaho couples who sued over the state's gay marriage ban are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to allow same-sex marriages to begin in accordance with a lower court's ruling earlier this week.…
- Tuesday, October 7, 2014BOISE, Idaho -- A federal appeals court declared same-sex marriage legal in Idaho and Nevada on Tuesday and followed the ruling a few hours later with a mandate allowing the Idaho marriages to start immediately. The…
- Tuesday, October 7, 2014SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal appeals court on Tuesday upheld gay marriage in Idaho and Nevada, saying bans on the practice in those states violate same-sex couples' equal protection rights. The U.S. Court of Appeals for…