In both crime and law, hate crimes (also known as bias-motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group. Examples of such groups include but are not limited to: race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- Friday, May 15, 2015Paul Wettengel has been charged with third-degree assault and a bias-motivated crime after police said he punched and groped a man who is transgender.
- Wednesday, May 6, 2015The beating came after the attacker lobbed several gay slurs at the couple.
- Wednesday, May 6, 2015Steward Butler was arrested early Wednesday on battery charges alleging that he beat a same-sex couple.
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015Suspect Kenneth Morgan Stancil III shot his victim on the campus of Wayne Community College on Monday morning. The victim is a gay man and Stancil is suspected of having white supremacist leanings.
- Monday, April 6, 2015Police in Orlando, Fla., said a 32-year-old man who was attacked last month by two teenage brothers and several others was targeted because he's gay.
- Tuesday, March 24, 2015A Mississippi man accused of brutally beating a gay man says the attack was not a hate crime, and that the victim had threatened to expose his sexual orientation.
- Sunday, March 22, 2015Police in Corinth, Miss., say James David Scott, 23, of Tishomingo County, confronted the victim, Devin Norman, 26, of Corinth, in a Walmart parking lot on Friday concerning an alleged post made on social media.
- Wednesday, March 11, 2015U.S. Attorney Ronald Machen Jr. says Reginald Klaiber stabbed the 15-year-old transgender girl last July "solely because of who she is."
- Thursday, March 5, 2015James Dixon was arraigned Tuesday on manslaughter and assault charges in connection with the 2013 fatal beating of Islan Nettles, a 21-year-old transgender woman in Manhattan.
- Sunday, February 22, 2015An altercation outside a Phoenix record store escalated into a hit and run that was caught on camera, and the victim says the incident all started with a gay slur.