Harris v. Rainey
Harris v. Rainey (orig. Harris v. McDonnell) is a federal challenge to Virginia’s constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, filed Aug. 1, 2013, in U.S. District Court in Harrisonburg, Va., by the ACLU of Virginia and Lambda Legal. The plaintiffs are two same-sex couples: Joanne Harris and Jessi Duff of Staunton, Va., and Christy Berghoff and Victoria Kidd of Winchester, Va. [ Case files. ]
- Sunday, April 6, 2014WASHINGTON — To some people in Virginia, the fight over legalization of same-sex marriage echoes a decades-old battle over the state's 1924 law banning marriage between white and black people. But opponents of gay marriage reject
- Tuesday, April 1, 2014HARRISONBURG, Va. -- A federal judge has put one lawsuit challenging Virginia's gay marriage ban on hold while another makes its way through the appeals process.
- Monday, March 10, 2014RICHMOND, Va. — The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit on Monday granted a motion filed by Lambda Legal, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and the ACLU of Virginia to intervene in Bostic…
- Friday, January 31, 2014HARRISONBURG, Va. -- A federal judge in Virginia has certified as a class action a lawsuit challenging the state's ban on same-sex marriage.
- Sunday, January 19, 2014Almost overnight, Virginia has emerged as a critical state in the nationwide fight to grant gay men and women the right to marry. This purple state was once perceived as unfriendly and even bordering on hostile…
- Monday, December 23, 2013RICHMOND, Va. -- A federal court on Monday rejected a motion from the Staunton Circuit Court Clerk seeking to dismiss a lawsuit challenging Virginia’s ban on same-sex marriage.
- Tuesday, October 29, 2013HARRISONBURG, Va. -- A federal judge heard arguments Tuesday on whether to certify as a class action a lawsuit challenging Virginia's same-sex marriage ban.
- Thursday, August 1, 2013RICHMOND, Va. — Two couples from the Shenandoah Valley filed a federal lawsuit Thursday challenging Virginia's same-sex marriage ban.
- Tuesday, July 9, 2013RICHMOND, Va. — The ACLU of Virginia says it will file a federal lawsuit challenging the state's gay marriage ban.