LGBT rights are human rights and civil rights, although legal protections and laws affecting LGBT people vary greatly by country or territory. LGBT rights laws include, but are not limited to, the following: government recognition of same-sex relationships (such as via same-sex marriage or civil unions), LGBT adoption, recognition of LGBT parenting, anti-bullying legislation and student non-discrimination laws to protect LGBT children and/or students, immigration equality laws, anti-discrimination laws for employment and housing, hate crime laws providing enhanced criminal penalties for prejudice-motivated violence against LGBT people, equal age of consent laws, and laws related to sexual orientation and military service.
- Thursday, April 7, 2016"Why being different is bad and sex is scary."
- Wednesday, April 6, 2016"It’s just not right that anyone should suffer.”
- Sunday, April 3, 2016Stung by setbacks related to their access to public restrooms, transgender Americans are taking steps to play a more prominent and vocal role in a nationwide campaign to curtail discrimination against them.
- Saturday, April 2, 2016The CEO of PepsiCo, Inc., has joined the growing list of company heads and municipal officials voicing opposing to North Carolina's new anti-LGBT law.
- Saturday, April 2, 2016Despite mounting opposition from top business groups, some Missouri GOP legislators say they will continue their efforts to protect businesses that deny services for same-sex weddings.
- Saturday, March 26, 2016Insurance companies in Delaware will be prohibited from limiting health care coverage for transgender individuals.
- Saturday, March 26, 2016Mayor Ed Lee said that residents in the city with a large gay and lesbian population "will not subsidize legally sanctioned discrimination."
This trans woman was forbidden to use the ladies’ restroom at her local bar. And she filmed the whole exchange.Thursday, March 24, 2016Joanna, a trans woman, claims the bar's owner has given staff strict instructions not to let transgender people use the bathrooms.
- Sunday, March 20, 2016Lawmakers wrapped up the 2016 session this month without advancing two measures in the Senate that addressed LGBT civil rights protections.
- Friday, March 18, 2016"I like helping out young people."