As of June 26, 2015:
To date: 23 countries have legalized same-sex marriage: Argentina (2010), Belgium (2003), Brazil (2013), Canada (nationwide 2005), Denmark (2012), Finland (eff. 2017) France (2013), Greenland (Oct. 2015) Iceland (2010), Ireland (eff. TBD) Luxembourg (2015), Mexico (nationwide, eff. TBD) Netherlands (2001), New Zealand (2013), Norway (2009), Portugal (2010), Slovenia (eff. TBD), South Africa (2006), Spain (2005), Sweden (2009), Uruguay (2013), Untied Kingdom (England and Wales, 2014), United States and territories (nationwide 2015).
- Friday, April 3, 2015Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz are among 57 Republicans in Congress who are calling on the Supreme Court to uphold state bans on same-sex marriage.
- Friday, April 3, 2015The Arkansas Supreme Court could avoid having to resolve the sex-marriage debate after justices decided a separate case is needed before they can hear it - a move that will likely push the consideration until after…
- Thursday, April 2, 2015Most Americans support allowing businesses to refuse wedding-related services to same-sex couples on religious grounds, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll conducted earlier this year.
- Tuesday, March 31, 2015The U.S. Justice Department is appealing a federal judge in Texas' temporarily blocking federal rules that would have expanded medical leave benefits to married, same-sex couples.
- Tuesday, March 31, 2015With a landmark vote by the assembly of Tokyo's Shibuya ward, the district famous as a mecca for trendy youngsters became the first locale in Japan to recognize same sex partnerships as the "equivalent of a…
- Sunday, March 29, 2015An agreement announced Friday calls for the state to pay the American Civil Liberties Union, which represented eight couples who sued to overturn Wisconsin's 2006 constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
- Friday, March 27, 2015“Don’t always look to Washington to solve anything. In fact, the moral crisis we have in our country, there is a role for us trying to figure out things like marriage..."
- Thursday, March 26, 2015The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana says a religious objections bill that Gov. Mike Pence signed is a backlash to same-sex marriage in the state.
- Thursday, March 26, 2015The U.S. Supreme Court will hear same-sex marriage arguments this summer. The bill aims to ensure that, regardless of their ruling, same-sex marriage would face challenges in Texas.