- Tuesday, March 29, 2016A cultural shift is happening, helped by the presence of U.S. Ambassador James "Wally" Brewster, the first openly gay top diplomat the United States has posted to a Latin American country.
- Thursday, December 3, 2015Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez of the Archdiocese of Santo Domingo, told gay ambassador Wally Brewster to "stick to housework, since he is a man’s wife.”
- Thursday, January 1, 2015The statement comes two days after the British embassy tweeted that a Dominican man and his British partner had exchanged vows in its Santo Domingo offices.
- Wednesday, December 31, 2014Same-sex marriage is banned in the Dominican Republic, but a British national married his partner in the first ceremony of its kind performed at the British embassy in the conservative Caribbean country.
- Friday, August 22, 2014SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — The Dominican Republic government commission that oversees public performances is banning a Sept. 13 concert by Miley Cyrus on morality grounds and for allegedly inciting lesbian sex. The National Commission of…
- Friday, November 15, 2013WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Senate has confirmed James “Wally” Brewster to serve as the country’s ambassador to the Dominican Republic.
- Friday, October 4, 2013WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Senate on Thursday conducted a confirmation hearing on the appointment James “Wally” Brewster to serve as the country’s ambassador to the Dominican Republic.
- Wednesday, July 3, 2013SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- President Barack Obama's choice of openly gay nominee, James “Wally” Brewster as Ambassador to the Dominican Republic, has touched off a firestorm of criticism including from Catholic Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús…
- Friday, June 28, 2013SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Religious groups in the Dominican Republic said Friday they are outraged by the nomination of a gay U.S. ambassador to the conservative Caribbean country.