Des Moines IA
Des Moines is the capital and the most populous city in the U.S. state of Iowa, and the county seat of Polk County. Its five-county metropolitan area is ranked 88th in terms of population in the U.S. with 580,255 residents (2011 census bureau estimate). The city proper population was 203,433 at the 2010 census. [ Wikipedia ]
- Saturday, April 25, 2015A West Des Moines Catholic high school that came under fire recently for refusing to hire a gay teacher, has approved a request by students to form a school-based gay-straight alliance called "One Human Family."
- Friday, April 10, 2015The Des Moines Police Department says 49-year-old Eric Reese Wiethorn, of Ames, was charged Thursday with first-degree harassment in connection with the letter sent to Blazing Saddle, a gay bar.
- Thursday, April 9, 2015Students and alumni staged a walkout Wednesday in protest of a West Des Moines Catholic high school opting to not hire a substitute teacher full time after learning he was gay.
- Wednesday, June 11, 2014Which U.S. city is most friendly toward LGBT residents? Which big cities don't even make the list? What's the gayest city in "red state" America? Which metro area has the highest percentage of out politicians? Where…
- Monday, February 24, 2014DES MOINES, Iowa -- An Iowa man is suing a convenience store chain he claims fired him because he's gay, and alleges in court documents that he was chastised by his former boss for "feminine behavior."
- Sunday, February 12, 2012Here's the wrap-up for Sunday, February 12, 2012, and a preview on some stories making news on Monday.
- Friday, February 10, 2012DES MOINES, Iowa -- A suburban South Des Moines, Iowa church is under fire after its Pastor Mike DeMastus posted the message “Gay is not okay” on the church's marquee sign.
- Thursday, December 15, 2011DES MOINES, Iowa -- GOP presidential hopeful and front runner, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, on Thursday attacked the LGBTQ community, first on the subject of same-sex marriage, and then on the topics of sexual orientation…
- Monday, November 14, 2011DES MOINES, Iowa -- A lesbian couple in Iowa -- where gay marriage is legal -- was caught off guard when the baker they approached for their wedding cake told them that she is Christian, and…
- Monday, August 8, 2011Republican presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann, who recently sidestepped reporter’s question about her views on gay marriage — calling it a “frivolous” matter — sure does love herself a good ole, Bible thumping, anti-gay sermon.