Boy Scouts of America
The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is one of the largest youth organizations in the United States, with 2.7 million youth members and over 1 million adult volunteers. Since its founding in 1910 as part of the international Scout Movement, more than 110 million Americans have been members of the BSA. The Boy Scouts currently prohibits “avowed” gay and lesbian children and adults from participation, citing its principle to be “morally straight.” On May 23, 2013, 61% of the 1,400-member BSA National Council voted to remove the restriction denying membership to youth on the basis of sexual orientation. The resolution will go into effect on January 1, 2014. Scout leaders who are “open and avowed homosexuals” are still prohibited. Gay rights groups hailed the decision, but vowed to press on until all gay members are accepted.
- Tuesday, August 4, 2015His brutal decision affects eight Boy Scout troops and Cub Scout packs.
- Tuesday, August 4, 2015But getting it approved and running may be an uphill battle in the conservative state.
- Tuesday, August 4, 2015Last week, Klingenschmitt had intimated that lifting the ban on gay Boy Scout leaders would "lead to child abuse."
- Monday, August 3, 2015Mark Lawrence of Restore Our Humanity says his organization is working on an application for a troop charter and hopes to get it approved by the Scouts this fall.
- Thursday, July 30, 2015Were the church to follow through, it could financially impact the BSA quite dramatically, as the LDS is the organization's largest Scouting sponsor.
- Wednesday, July 29, 2015The children are in danger," he says.
- Tuesday, July 28, 2015The contrasting reactions followed the BSA national executive board's 45-12 vote on Monday to lift the nationwide ban while allowing church-sponsored Scout units to continue excluding gay adults.
- Tuesday, July 28, 2015Why did the Boy Scouts of America ban LGBT adults in the first place? Matt Baume debunks the flimsy lies that kept the discriminatory policy in place.
- Tuesday, July 28, 2015What instigated this sea change? Here are five key ingredients that helped lift the BSA ban.
- Monday, July 27, 2015The new policy, aimed at easing a controversy that has embroiled the Boy Scouts for years, takes effect immediately.