U.S. conservatives form global coalition to encourage anti-gay laws abroad

Friday, February 21, 2014

WASHINGTON — Two longtime opponents of the U.S. gay-rights movement on Friday announced formation of a coalition that will seek to persuade more countries around the world to follow Russia’s example in passing laws that restrict gay rights.

Scott Lively

Scott Lively in Russia in October 2013.

The activists, Massachusetts-based evangelical lawyer Scott Lively and Peter LaBarbera of Americans for Truth About Homosexuality, praised two recently enacted Russian laws that have been assailed by gay-rights supporters worldwide. The protests have intensified amid Russia’s hosting of the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

One law seeks to prevent gays and lesbians from adopting children, while the other — a ban on so-called gay “propaganda” accessible by minors — is seen as a deterrent to public expressions of gay-rights sentiment.

“By taking these steps in the face of intense criticism and hostility … the Russians have demonstrated the high value that they place on their children and the natural family model of society,” the newly formed Coalition for Family Values said. “We believe that God will bless the Russian people for their faith and courage.”

Lively and LaBarbera said the new coalition will encourage allies abroad to lobby their own governments to follow Russia’s example.

“While the LGBT agenda has seemed like an unstoppable political juggernaut in North America and Europe, the vast majority of the people of the world do not accept the notion that sexual deviance should be normalized,” their statement said.

The formation of the coalition was assailed by the Human Rights Campaign, the largest U.S. lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization.

“Americans aren’t buying the hate these anti-LGBT extremists are selling, so they’ve been forced to take their take their dangerous rhetoric abroad,” said HRC president Chad Griffin. “These radicals are now traveling from country to country advocating for the persecution of LGBT people under the guise that they’re saving children.”

Among the groups joining the coalition were Lively’s Defend the Family International, the American Family Association of Pennsylvania and Mission:America.

Lively conducted a 50-city speaking tour of Russia in 2007, and says the gay propaganda bill — enacted last year — reflects policies that he advocated at the time.

Lively is being sued in U.S. federal court by a Uganda-based gay-rights group, accusing him of persecuting gays in that East African country.

The suit contends that he was a key figure in consultations in Uganda that produced tough anti-gay legislation in 2009. A version of that bill is expected to be signed soon by Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni.

© 2014, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers, [ Trending ]

1. Wtaf

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:36pm
  2. When are we going to hold these people accountable for the abuses they cause?

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:36pm
  3. Go live somewhere else moron…..the USA is for equal rights and treatment for ALL….if you dont like that…LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:37pm
  4. move to Russia! No, wouldn't want to wish that on them either!!! The south pole maybe!!!

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:09pm
  5. Actually them conservative fuckers would fit right in in Putin's Russia lol

Replied on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 1:51am
  6. ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:37pm
  7. To hell with them, and quickly!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:38pm
  8. I can’t even fathom such evil.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:38pm
  9. I thought this was illegal under US law

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:38pm
  10. Are these people fucking stupid???? take one step forward and 20 back….what the fuck is wrong with people? We could just throw them all out of this country because this country belonged to the Native American people first and just be like see ya bitches!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:38pm
  11. OK, now that is just too much. Do we not have some really SERIOUS problems? Work on that idiot

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:38pm
  12. It blows my mind what idiots these people are. What the hell does it matter to them? This shhhhit is upsetting. We’re in 2014 let this be a world we all can live in. Be yourself and love everyone else!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:39pm
  13. There always has to be a group for these frightened souls to hate…if they don’t have something or somebody to discriminate against they are not happy…..

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:39pm
  14. I think that if they aren't changing the focus to someone else, the people will probably focus on them and all the hate and death they've caused since the dawn of their current mythological disaster (Christianity)

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:03pm
  15. I am calling for a global revolution by gays to confront homophobes and set them down by any means !

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:39pm
  16. Set them on fire like the witches they are.

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:41pm
  17. two wrongs don't make a right... we all just have to realize that different doesn't mean wrong!

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:45pm
  18. I agree, violence is not the answer (unless it it in retaliation to violent acts against us). However, if your beliefs are ignorant (like anti-gay nonsense) then you are wrong not because of difference, but because it is ignorant.

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:48pm
  19. What is the answer? How long are we all supposed to sit around talking about it while gay people are being beaten to death across the world? I do agree that violence against these religious psychos will solve nothing but enough is enough already. Something needs to be done.

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:02pm
  20. Billy Phelps is right.

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:03pm
  21. Revolutions are most effective when they address issues that touch almost everyone. Human rights, global warming, child slavery, etc.

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:05pm
  22. David Green, careful about your use of the word 'witch' as a religious slur. I am just one of many Witches in the LGBT community.

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:03pm
  23. we could Try to have protest against them like every one in the world who is LGBT or Supports us,(that can with out being killed or arrested) just gather in their towns, or city, gather at some where and have signs with their, pictures, and any other homophobe in the news, and just stand there with the signs. I am sure there are millions of us the news would have to take notice, and ask what was going on and we would tell them about these mens hateful acts, and then just maybe someone would look at what they are actually doing. and then they can answer to the world why they are so hateful.

Replied on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:06am
  24. Then they also need to form a coalition to encourage anti-christian laws.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:41pm
  25. Can’t they be sued for interfering in foreign states’ affairs without the permission of the U.S. government? Or do they have it?

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:42pm
  26. Absolutely ridiculous.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:43pm
  27. A lawyer specialized in Foreign Relations could explain if what they do really is legal.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:43pm
  28. And this is why we have no leg to stand on when we criticize Russia…

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:44pm
  29. They’ll soon be in hiding.

Imo, self-deportation would be a good thing for them to consider soon.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:45pm
  30. Whats wrong with this people. They need to be stop .

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:46pm
  31. They’re wasting their time, the gay movement is on a roll. Equal rights is gonna happen sooner or later.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:46pm
  32. You’re a dying breed, you’re shelf life of bigotry has an expiration date!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:47pm
  33. This man and all the member should be tried at the Hague, for crimes against humanity and Murder for all the gay men and women that were killed in support of his coalition.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:47pm
  34. We would be justified too do the same thing to bigoted governments that the people of Ukraine are doing organize protest and occupy government offices to fight for freedom for gays!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:48pm
  35. Why are they being called Conservatives when Religious Fundamentalist would be more accurate?

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:48pm
  36. Because conservative, as a term, means to be regressive, to want things to stay the same. They fear equal rights for gays and lesbians which would be a change. They are social conservatives.

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:52pm
  37. This man, Scott Lively, is the Anti-Christ and from Hell…

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:48pm
  38. Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:49pm
  39. they should move to russia or uganda. i’ll help them pack.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:49pm
  40. I just wish these people would move to the shithole paradises they are building in Africa. They’d be so much happier than here.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:49pm
  41. This is one reason why this country is FUCKED UP. Hiding behind religion to Hate

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:51pm
  42. These NAZI homophobes are violent they are responsible for many deaths of gays time to organize mass protest to end this evil!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:52pm
  43. One of them has been sued in the US by ugandan gays, LGBTQ Nation has reported in another post.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:52pm
  44. Who are these sad twatwaffles and why do people listen to them? Are people really THAT deprived of their own ability to form an original thought? Do they even have LGBT friends or family or associates? SMH.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:54pm
  45. it´s time for a revolution.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:55pm
  46. Rise up , and kill these hate mongrels.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:56pm
  47. Scumbag vermin! How is this even legal!?!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:57pm
  48. At first I figured this was an Onion article.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:59pm
  49. Sadly not!

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:02pm
  50. We need to legally sue them for ensuing hate and violence and have them stopped. Or we need to take out the trash permanently!!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:00pm
  51. No no no we must put them all in JAIL NOW we can not allow this at all they dont have a right

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:00pm
  52. Yup…I thought I recognized that obscene Prick-In-The-Closet Scott ‘pastor’ Lively! He is a pathetic excuse for a human being and most decent folk keep hoping that someone will send him on a one-way trip to another planet.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:00pm
  53. It’s time for LGBTI and our straight allies to establish our own coalition of resistance. So much talk on sites like these is a release for the immediate emotions, but how many of us use this energy to fight back in a more productive way? We have so many resources.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:00pm
  54. The next one that says progress progress progress I’m gonna bitch slap in the nose!!!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:01pm
  55. Move to Uganda and take Beck, Rush, Bachmann, W Bush & family, and all others I did not name.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:02pm
  56. We should ship them all to an Island and nuke it

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:02pm
  57. Allies too . . . this is pure unadulterated BS . . . the last deep and dying breath of stupid . . .

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:03pm
  58. I don’t see their point or what they are so afraid of. It certainly have nothing to do with God. Dose God need the help of these kinds of people to get his massage out? I think not.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:03pm
  59. I’d like to make a suggestion. (And I’m going to act on this, although I’m not sure how yet.) LGBT people (myself included) should start working more with global issues like hunger and climate change. The more good we do, the less bad press we have against us.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:04pm
  60. It doesn't matter how much good we do. People are gonna hate us no matter what!

Replied on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 1:50am
  61. How do we stop these assholes.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:05pm
  62. Finally, we found a topic on which American conservatives and totalitarian Russians agree… hating gay people. Remember when these same dingleberries went on and on about how bad the Russians were and how pissed off God was at them?

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:06pm
  63. Promote Hate, Racism and Violence is their motto I guess. Insanity.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:06pm
  64. Undoubtedly he will be a point of reference for future generations, comparable to historical accounts of Jim Crowe.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:06pm
  65. Crimes against humanity… I hope to see charges filed on them someday.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:07pm
  66. Two ugly ass fucking idiots. Neither one could get laid even if they paid for it.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:08pm
  67. They’re all domestic terrorists that went global a few years ago. They all need to be treated as such by the U.S. government. Tax their churches. Why should my tax dollars go towards giving them tax-free status and thereby PAYING for discrimination against myself???????

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:09pm
  68. crazy

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:12pm
  69. Crazies

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:13pm
  70. I agree let’s all donate time and financial resources to groups like HRC.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:13pm
  71. Criminal

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:16pm
  72. hateful people

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:17pm
  73. We need to keep an eye on these bigots and their bad deeds. I think we need and app so we can track their influence and actions in the US and abroad.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:18pm
  74. What creeps. Nothing’s for nothing, assholes!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:20pm
  75. Where’s the US government? Influencing foreign policy this way is against Federal law.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:23pm
  76. We don’t have to visit or put up with Russia. Let their closeted leader do what he pleases. They don’t need our $.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:24pm
  77. 2 more ‘haters’ have crawled out from under a rock; I can only assume that they support execution of LGBT members since one of these men were active in working with the Uganda government

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:27pm
  78. yes scott lively, and the man who funds his hate trips, is the man who owns chick fil a. so if you eat there this is what you are supporting.

Replied on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:09am
  79. Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:27pm
  80. This guy is wack

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:28pm
  81. This religious group has no other place to thrive since evangelicals are dying off here in the US…. So they can spread their hatred and fears to third world countries and suck money….

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:30pm
  82. I think that people perpetrating this type of legislation abroad should not be permitted to return to this country after doing so.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:39pm
  83. I don’t care who makes what law and when, I am gay, I was born gay, I will always be gay, I will never change or stop being gay, I will continue to be gay and do gays things regardless of the law, regardless of the lawmakers, regardless of what country I’m in or who is in power at the time, I will refuse to “suffer” any consequences that zed lawmakers say I should “suffer”. I will never agree to your anti-gay laws, nor will I ever bow down to those who make them. I will give blood, illegally or not, I will marry my partner, illegally or not, I will adopt children with my partner, illegally or not, and I will always consider myself equal. I am just as equal to everyone else in this world and I will except nothing less. Everyone in this world is equal except those who do harm to others, who treat others differently, who are homophobic. I will always disregard those types of people as equal to me, because I am better than that, I will always be better than they are. I am gay, and I love myself, regardless of what you think of me, I am here, and I’m here to stay!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:47pm
  84. It’s these bastards that the world is so fucked up with their bullshit religion.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:49pm
  85. I hope Scott Lively dies a painful death, soon.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:49pm
  86. My question is what does anyone sexual preference or who you marry doing at the fore front of world news when we have wars and terrorism and climate change and people that are homeless and starving. What does who someone sleeps with have to do with any of that. We don’t get to chose who we love the heart wants what the heart wants.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:53pm
  87. Evil hate mongering bigots, you should be so proud.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:54pm
  88. Alarming. Disgusting. Low-brow. But, oh ever so Christian.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:06pm
  89. These fuck heads are totally crazy!!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:08pm
  90. Assholes!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:09pm
  91. Don’t you have other things to do like healing the sick and feeding the poor!!! (@%$$#$%#)

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:09pm
  92. Refuse goods and services to these fucks!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:10pm
  93. This is scaring the crap out of me!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:24pm
  94. Enemies of humanity. These conscience-perverted dinosaurs need to go extinct, and no decent nation or coalition of nations should tolerate their influence. They are the sanctimonious face of evil accepted and tolerated by far too many ‘believers’ in this world….what they are /not/ is followers of Christ.

(…who would be whipping them soundly for the arrogant control-freak Pharisees they are.)

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:26pm
  95. karma is a bitch!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:30pm
  96. Pathetic! They mess up OUR nation…then try to do same at others!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:31pm
  97. They are unable to spread hate in the US so now they’re exporting hate.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:44pm
  98. Evil

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:46pm
  99. this has been going on for years and some laws like in Uganda were backed by the boys from K Street!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:53pm
  100. Damn nazis

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:54pm
  101. They should all live in Russia.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:56pm
  102. I hope these people look back at their life on their death bed and realise the pain and suffering they have caused and I hope it is their last thought!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:04am
  103. They have finally found a way around the establishment clause – they will do their murderous work abroad (in the name of Christ who didn’t write Leviticus, BTW).

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:07am
  104. Okay, he needs to die..quickly.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:19am
  105. These people should be prosecuted for hate crimes against humanity.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:25am
  106. Void their passports.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:31am
  107. American religious right: exporters of hate and ignorance

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:47am
  108. I WISH, these two, would just die, already!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:50am
  109. That is very short sighted and offensive. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:53am
  110. We arent gping away people. We are here we ate queer and fcuk you.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 1:18am
  111. Is it wrong not to kill these guys? I’m serious? Is it our moral obligation to try and kill them?

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 1:25am
  112. what pigs here in America should be charged with treason!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 1:40am
  113. They are just as much murderous terrorists as as Islamist extremists, & Hindu, & Biddhist, & Jewish, ad nauseum !!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 1:41am
  114. What else is new? I hate conservatives!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 1:49am
  115. Religion can be Gods curse if I wasn’t an agnostic!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 2:07am
  116. It is truly time for the war these bastards want from the LGBT! We need to unite and end this..once and for all…from the hallowed halls of justice to the holy halls of religion…we must never cease to let it be known we are NOT second class citizens and we are NOT going away…and they asked for this battle… with dollars, control, power and vision…we have the advantage…we do not have the hate.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 2:13am
  117. Stonewall Rising !!!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 2:29am
  118. Shameful! They’re promoting hatred which is not an American nor a humane value!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 2:47am
  119. and Scot lively’s hate trips are partly funded by the owner of chick fil a, he donates a lot of money to him so if you are still eating there this is what you are funding.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 2:58am
  120. Everyone of these hate mongers has deep dark secrets waiting to explode out of their closets. They all get caught sooner or later. Until they are exposed, We must continue to fight them by not spending our money on anything or in any store that’s owned by bigots. That’s the only thing they understand. Loss of revenue.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:08am
  121. Hate will eat their soul

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:10am
  122. These people seem to be setting the way for the next civil war. And the first one to die should be the one who starts it.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:30am
  123. What kind of person would do nothing but spread hate? Evil personified.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:34am
  124. American churches have been in Africa for years fomenting this kind of intolerance. How nice of them.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:35am
  125. How did someone so f-ing stupid get into office?

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:36am
  126. Their has to be something we can do to stop these people from becoming self mortars in the name of God. Its sicking how they use God as their tool to spread hate and violance amongst Gods children. Disgusting and revolting they should he ashamed and asking God for his forgiveness.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 3:39am