Transcript: Ariz. governor Jan Brewer’s statement on vetoed bill

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Editor’s note: The live feed has concluded, following is a transcript of the statement read by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Wednesday regarding her veto of a bill allowing religious reasons for refusing service to gays:

Good evening and thank you all for joining me here this evening.

I’m here to announce a decision on Senate Bill 1062. As with every proposal that reached my desk I give great concern and careful evaluation and deliberate consideration, especially to Senate Bill 1062.

I call them like I seem them despite the cheers or the boos from the crowd. I took the necessary time to make the right decision.

I met and spoke with my attorneys, lawmakers and citizens supporting and opposing this legislation.

As governor I have asked questions, and I have listened. I have protected religious freedoms where there is a specific and present concern that exists in our state, and I have the record to prove it.

My agenda is to sign into law legislation that advances Arizona. When I addressed the Legislature earlier this year, I made my priorities for this session abundantly clear. Among them are passing a responsible budget that continues Arizona’s economic comeback. From CEOs, to entrepreneurs, to business surveys, Arizona ranks as one of the best states to grow or start a business.

Additionally, our immediate challenge is fixing a broken child protection system. Instead, this is the first policy bill to cross my desk.

Senate Bill 1062 does not address a specific or present concern related to religious liberty in Arizona.

I have not heard one example in Arizona where a business owner’s religious liberty has been violated. The bill is broadly worded and could result in unintended and negative consequences. After weighing all of the arguments, I have vetoed Senate Bill 1062 moments ago.

To the supporters of this legislation, I want you to know that I understand that long-held norms about marriage and family are being challenged as never before. Our society is undergoing many dramatic changes, however, I sincerely believe that Senate Bill 1062 has the potential to create more problems than it purports to solve. It could divide Arizona in ways we cannot even imagine and nobody could ever want.

Religious liberty is a core American and Arizona value. So is non-discrimination. Going forward, let’s turn the ugliness of the debate over Senate Bill 1062 into a renewed search for greater respect and understanding among all Arizona and Americans.

Full coverage of Brewer’s veto is here. [ Veto letter. ]

Coverage archive of SB 1062 is here.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Arizona

1. good…. now maybe some of my gay brothers can go in and give her a makeover…

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 3:58am
  2. Don't be a dick.

Replied on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 3:59am
  3. because she is not a racist, homophobic right winged nut that is undeserving of that comment? At least I didn't stoop to name calling... I guess some of have more integrity than others.

Replied on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:02am
  4. There aint no fixing that bat shit crazy

Replied on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:28am
  5. Just when you thought it was over… Arizona’s HB 2481 that was introduced just 3 days ago will allow Judges and Justices of the Peace to refuse services based on their ‘religious’ beliefs.

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 3:59am
  6. (y)

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 3:59am
  7. Religious reasons???? It was bigotry and discrimination from the get go … and she had no reason to wait before the veto (except to grandstand).

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:00am
  8. It took a little time to draft a mediocre response that would throw a bone to both sides without making a definitive statement against H8.

Replied on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:04am
  9. she did it because her state would lose money she didnt veto it for any good reasons

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:00am
  10. Absolutely accurate. No one wants to be the Governor that lost the $uper Bowl...

Replied on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:05am
  11. its still the wrong reason

Replied on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:05am
  12. Yep.

Replied on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:07am
  13. Take note, Oklahoma!

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:01am
  14. Good

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:01am
  15. tnx gov. you did well this time. :)

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:01am
  16. Nobody cares…

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:01am
  17. you think you speak for everyone when you dont you can only speak for your self

Replied on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:07am
  18. Love how y’all keep using this pic!

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:02am
  19. Awe Ariel, have you had your break today?

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:02am
  20. Jihan Jude

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:03am
  21. Thats not true ariel .people like me do care. And u see it more and more each time we bond to fight an.unjust cause

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:04am
  22. You have set a precedence, and we THANK you wholeheartedly across the nation! Let’s all hope the same for our states!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:08am
  23. Daniel, get a grip! YOU do NOT SIT IN JUDGEMENT!

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:09am
  24. Thanks Governor Jan :-)

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:11am
  25. People, come ON! Even your right wing nuts and tea baggers BEGGED her to veto this SB (Stupid Bill)!

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:13am
  26. Wow. I give her more credit than what I thought before reading it.

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:15am
  27. Corowe Roe, I agree with Daniel Alvarado. You certainly DO NOT speak for me. And you’re judging Daniel for not agreeing with you. She SHOULD have vetoed it immediately! She knew exactly what it said, she just had to kiss enough republican assholes before she gave her speech! So I think it’s YOU who needs to get a grip.

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:17am
  28. Well said!!

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:19am
  29. Redemption , common scenes …..hard to believe what she said. But respect level just went up.

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:19am
  30. She has no imagination, empathy, or convictions.

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:21am
  31. Stand back her jaw is about to unhinge,and i think her wig is on backwards

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:27am
  32. Guys calm down… I’m a lesbian. I support gay rights, I just hate the government.

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:28am
  33. Good fair call. Very well said.

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:33am
  34. She shucked the corn on them!

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:35am
  35. Excellent news. Congratulations Arizona & Jan Brewer for making the right decision

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:36am
  36. Jan Brewer did not veto this bill for anything as noble as the people who stood to be harmed by it. She vetoed it for the almighty dollar. If given the choice, she would have signed this BS into law without losing a second’s worth of sleep. And if she really honestly cared enough to veto it in the first place, why the hell did she sit on it for so long?

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:45am
  37. regardless of the reason, brewer needs to hear all the thank yous from all the people who care. say thank you and maybe she’ll begin to understand how big an impact the decision she just made on peoples lives. im think positive reinforcement and planting good energy.

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 4:51am