Views & Voices

In 2 minutes: Why you should boycott the Olympic sponsors

Anything But Coke
Saturday, February 8, 2014

From Anything But Coke:

“By now, most people have heard about the LGBT activists protesting Sochi and the Olympic sponsors. But not everyone knows why, or what they can do to help.”

Watch:

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Vlog

1. Wish my bank wouldn’t use Visa on its debit cards. But almost all of the local banks here do. And this credit union I’m with is the smallest of all evils. :-/

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:36am
  2. see if you can get a debit mastercard :)

Replied on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:39am
  3. They only offer Visa, take it or leave. :-/

Replied on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:40am
  4. Are you kidding, less than that. Seeing these corporate logos is enough,I know of their malpractices.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:36am
  5. If our athletes couldn’t boycott the Olympics, why shouldn’t the American corporations support our athletes. What Putin is doing is outrageous… yet we have eight states that currently have similar laws…we need to take care of our own house first…

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:41am
  6. Yes, we do need to take care of our own houses, but that doesn't mean we should ignore nationalized hate against our brothers and sisters in other countries.

Replied on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 4:12am
  7. I have not even bought a GE light bulb in years because they have not paid taxes….

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:41am
  8. Done!

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:41am
  9. Um I do believe the Usa has an openly gay athlete on the team and he is allowed to participate

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:43am
  10. The gay athletes were told to stay away from and do not touch children…really??? Smh….

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:47am
  11. Coke used a gay family in its ad and got a lot of flack for showing diversity. The sponsors are helping our athletes.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:49am
  12. Coke stands behind Russia arresting LGBT activists.

Replied on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:09am
  13. The Coke ads were only shown in America. I'm not sure how that's helping our athletes in Russia.

Replied on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 4:13am
  14. Seriously? We’re still fighting a battle in our country and we are suppose to be the land of the free. I won’t boycott the Olympics because many of our LGBTQ community are there competing and I will support them. Just sayin. If they can’t effect this country what makes you think they can’t change a communist country?

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:53am
  15. I have been boycotting Olympics.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:53am
  16. Nonsense … we are bigger than this!@

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:57am
  17. Stop International Homophobia Now!!!

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:57am
  18. Russia is not the US. These companies do not have the same political power there as they do here. It is naive to think that these US based companies would be able to influence Russian policies. These companies are there to give financial support to the athletes. These athletes have sacrificed & worked there entire lives for this opportunity & deserve the right to see it to fruition.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:58am
  19. Let me tell you why this is absolute horse shit. It is not the responsibility of a Corporation to enforce “laws of equality” nor are they in a real position to fight a foreign dictatorship, but to sit there BITCH about them not doing what you want, you’d have to be shoved so far up your ass you can’t see. I’m pansexual, but I also took Economics, Government, and a Business class, I understand their reasoning for not doing anything to stop the inequality. Most of the reason was tolerance to ignorance, and the need to remain as a WWC, they’re a business. Ask yourself this I’ll put it in terms a 2nd grader could understand; Is it your washing machine’s responsibility that you wear clean clothes? No, it’s not. It’s your responsibility and you need to do it and stop relying on “things” a business is a “thing” does it contain people, sure, but it functions like a machine and a machine is indifferent to who ever uses it.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 2:59am
  20. I am boycotting the Olympics, there is plenty to do without watching it and i object to the venue, the country chosen, which is openly anti LGBT. not to mention they are also slaughtering stray dogs like they are cockroaches….you can’t fix stupid and you sure as hell can’t fix evil. Russia is pure evil.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:00am
  21. What do you say to those athletes who have spent countless hours, for years, training to represent the US at the Olympics? To those who aren’t able to “wait til next time”?

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:03am
  22. The Olympics would go on even without the sponsorship. The boycotts are to hit Russia in it's pocketbook, not the athletes.

Replied on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 4:16am
  23. Whatever idiot wrote this pathetic video should be boycotted… Not the Olympics

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:06am
  24. I love how most of these sponsors are very supportive of gay marriage. But because Russia (which just happens to have anti gay laws) was chosen in a lottery years ago to host them, we have to boycott them. Sorry, but no.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:08am
  25. Should we also hate everyone that goes to Russia too and hate t.a.T.u? I’m sorry but I am not gonna boycott coke or McDonald’s or any of the following. Because what good what that do? Not only that they are gay friendly. Only thing I do not support is the anti gay law in Russia.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:09am
  26. :)) I am the customer of non :)

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:12am
  27. Bryan Lloyd Baker I couldn’t have said it better myself!!!

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:12am
  28. Makes it a bit hard to boycott McDonalds when I work there :/ haha

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:18am
  29. I am a very out lesbian and ALL about LGBT rights and equality. But seriously, the Olympics are not about gay rights. They are about athletes that have trained almost their entire lives for this moment. Is it really necessary to make every single thing a gay/lesbian issue? Neither Coke nor Pepsi are giving money to organizations that fight against giving us equal rights here in America. In fact, they give to organizations that fight FOR our rights. This isn’t about us, it is about the OLYMPIC ATHLETES!

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:20am
  30. If what was happening in Russia was happening to us, I think you'd be a bit more concerned about whether the Olympics are about gay rights. The right they're fighting for is the right to even exist as a human being.

Replied on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 4:15am
  31. The olympics are just another enterprise anyway…

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:23am
  32. The only protest that would have really sent a message is for entire countries to not participate. Protesting companies that have been sponsoring the Olympics for decades will not do anything.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:27am
  33. Support the athletes competing in the Games

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:40am
  34. I am very torn by what to do. Coca-Cola had the balls to feature a gay family in an ad during the Super Bowl. I have 2 VISA cards. The other 3 – don’t eat at McD’s a lot, don’t think I patronize GE in any way, and think that Dow Chemical is Satan on earth. Olympics – at the very heart of the institution – is about the athletes. Not about where they are held. Yes – I think that Russia, and it’s archaic laws and persecution of gays – should be nuked in some way. But I’ve run out of things to boycott…and choose to actively promote change – locally – toward all of these companies – which ARE represented locally, after all – they ARE global companies. Would it be nice to have these companies – and NBC – and the US – tell Russia to fuck off and go away? Yes. But I can’t blame them for not doing that either.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:43am
  35. I don’t drink Coca-Cola because I have ulcer and Mcdonalds disgusts me so yeah, i’m not buying any of their products… I don’t use credit card so scratch Visa from the list and GE has a bad quality so I don’t use it… And what the hell is DOW???

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 3:45am
  36. People cant enjoy. Quit bitching about everything. I support the gay community but I’m not gonna complain about everything that’s unfair in life.

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 4:21am
  37. You do realize they are sponsors of the US Olympic team and not of the Sochi Olympics right? There is a big difference. Why would we want to boycott the US Olympic Team?

Posted on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 4:25am