Views & Voices

Arizona – Why You Gotta Be So Mean?

Friday, February 21, 2014

why-so-mean

It’s been awhile since I’ve had the emotional strength to sit and write a scathing piece about anyone or anything.

Not so much just scathing … I couldn’t even find the inner strength to write a piece that makes one take a review of where they may stand on an issue.

I’ve found since my parents have both passed away within the past 2 years, I needed peace and love and some sort of inner quiet. I didn’t want to be angry or create turmoil around me, I needed and wanted to surround myself with “the good” that this life has to offer.

I discovered yesterday as I was reading about what was happening in Arizona that it was time to write – time to express, time to admit that perhaps “the good” isn’t quite as “good” as I really wanted it to be.

For what is happening in Arizona is a travesty to anyone — gay, straight, transgender, black, white, Latino, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Atheist — anyone who lives in the United States of America. Any group, any people, can be targeted.

Bills can be drawn up and signed into law, and there you have it – it’s legal to target and discriminate on the basis of religion or whatever they decide.

To give license to discriminate on religious beliefs is against everything that we believe in as Americans.

We believe in the Freedom of Religion, but that freedom doesn’t give you free reign to discriminate and alienate for the sake of said religion. Like it or not, the United States is a nation that’s supposed to have equal rights for all of their citizens. Not just for those Christians who really believe they are the only ones with the answers.

It’s not just the LGBTQ folks who should be upset by this hideous Arizona law. Every American should be concerned that by simply being who you are you can be refused service, refused a place to live, refused a job, refused anything if someone believes that to give you said thing or service would violate their practice and observance of their religion.

And what sort of religion would encourage anyone to discriminate? You either believe that love and peace is for every human being or you do not.

The more same-sex marriage and human equality gain momentum in the courts and in the states, the more we will see this push for discrimination in any form the haters can find. Don’t be surprised by anything.

Life is short, and it should be filled with love and laughter and joy. At the end of our lives the only thing that will matter is how we treated one another.

Let us rise above the madness and be kind and loving and fight for what is right and just. Fight in your own way – protest, call your senators, write letters or simply live your life with the person you love and show the world what love and commitment is all about.

Ever vigilant my friends, we must be ever vigilant.

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. again how you gonna prove it? do I have to blow someone in front of you? cause I will

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:24pm
  2. Lmao!

Replied on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:21am
  3. ok Richard looks like I`m gonna keep us out of Dennys

Replied on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:27am
  4. #Bad4AZBiz

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:25pm
  5. WHAT NEXT ????

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:27pm
  6. :P

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:30pm
  7. Does that new law mean you can refuse service to christians because your personal beliefs do not support hate and bigotry?

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:30pm
  8. I swear wear a cross or a saint christophers medal and I`m gonna say hell no

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:39pm
  9. WELL A PIZZERIA DID LOL

Replied on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:40am
  10. That is just crazy, I’m from Canada & just can’t believe this shit still happens in the good O’l US of A wow smfh!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:36pm
  11. I wish there was a way to ask the Arizona Legislators WTF were they thinking? It is about as stupid and as backwards as anyone could get.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:36pm
  12. Here’s an idea….kick them out of the US and all the federal funding they receive!!!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:38pm
  13. I honestly think we could get rid of the debt AND the deficit by selling off all four A states to the highest bidder.

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:42pm
  14. great idea James!!!

Replied on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:43pm
  15. If paying taxes goes against my religious beliefs can I use this law as a defense when I don’t pay taxes?

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:39pm
  16. Christian restaurant owner owner refuses services to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddihists, Latinos, Native Americans, Asians, Africans, Europeans, Australians, Canadians, Orthodox Greeks because it’s the law. Goes out of business. Surprise!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:42pm
  17. This is just like ‘whites only’ services.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:44pm
  18. If this law is not vetoed by the governor, the LGBT community in Arizona needs to declare a strike and walk off their jobs – and the LGBT community world wide should stop doing any business with Arizona.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:49pm
  19. of course we should be concerned. Think 1950s and 1960s in the south.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 9:51pm
  20. I just hope this bites them in the butt. it really is a poorly written law that is so ripe for abuse.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:07pm
  21. AN ugly state with absolutely NOTHING going for it.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:09pm
  22. Everyone should read this! I mean EVERYONE!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:23pm
  23. Because there are so many churches full of bigots. Literally, just by where I live? There are nine churches in a four mile radius…and a tenth being built as we speak!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:38pm
  24. This isn’t a new law, it’s a revamp of segregation and these people should be outlawed for even suggesting this kind of law get passed

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 10:58pm
  25. This is so UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:19pm
  26. I sincerely hope that every LGBT person and business refuses to serve every legislator who voted for this as part of their deeply held personal, religious views.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:19pm
  27. So much for spending my vacations and my hard earned money there! Have been there several years for a yearly vacation but it definitely won’t happen again.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:27pm
  28. the main reason they fight this is they have secret urges or hidden past they don’t want anyone else to find out about, they should open their own closet before trying to close ours.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:35pm
  29. Well written and right on.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:35pm
  30. Well they just match Indiana.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:39pm
  31. I can’t believe I am from and living in such a terrible state!!!! I never thought I’d have to say this.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:42pm
  32. Because it’s overflowing with old, scared white people.

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 at 11:55pm
  33. Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:02am
  34. Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:05am
  35. Well I guess we WON’T be going to Phoenix this October after all.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:15am
  36. However, I love that sign that just went up in a Tucson restaurant refusing service to AZ legislators! :D What goes around, comes around!

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:20am
  37. This law is so dehumanizing can the state be sued by gays?

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:27am
  38. I would like to find a list of businesses that are considering moving their operations to Arizona (Apple for instance). I think the best way for Arizona to get the message is when the dollars stop rolling in. One business has already said that it has dropped Arizona for consideration based on this legislation. Lets let other businesses know that consumers are watching.

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 12:47am
  39. Protesters rally at Ariz. state capitol to demand governor veto anti-gay bill – LGBTQ Nation http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/02/protestors-rally-at-ariz-state-capitol-to-demand-governor-veto-anti-gay-bill/#.UwgFbyRyQrE.twitter

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 2:04am
  40. Ariz. governor asked to veto bill allowing religious discrimination against gays – LGBTQ Nation http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/02/ariz-governor-asked-to-veto-bill-allowing-religious-discrimination-against-gays/#.UwgFsxVqlpk.twitter

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 2:04am
  41. I suppose they got tired of hating on Latinos. Or is this just a smokescreen to hide other crap?

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 2:47am