Weir caught in a crossfire of ‘hate and scrutiny’ for not boycotting Olympics

Friday, January 17, 2014
Johnny Weir

Johnny Weir

LYNDHURST, N.J. – Champion figure skater Johnny Weir said Thursday he has been caught up “in a crossfire” for not supporting a boycott of the 2014 Sochi Olympic games in the wake of Russia’s anti-gay laws.

Weir, who will serve as a commentator for NBC’s coverage of the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, chided gay rights activists, who he said have a “pre-conceived notion” that the Olympics is “a place to fight for the LGBT community of Russia.”

“I’ve come under so much hate and scrutiny from within my own LGBT community for my views on the Olympics,” Weir told Reuters from his home in northern New Jersey.

“As somebody who watched my parents sacrifice everything so that I had at least one chance of making the Olympics, I could never boycott the Olympics whether they be in Pyongyang (in North Korea), in Uganda, in Iran or Mars.

“I would have competed there because my whole life has been about going to the Olympics. Being gay isn’t something that I chose, being gay is something I was born into.

[…]

“The entire Olympic team is not made up of LGBT people. It’s people who’ve sacrificed their livelihoods, it’s people who’ve sacrificed their parents’ finances and health and sometimes even marriages to get that one chance at glory.

“As an athlete who’s lived it, I could never turn my face to that. While equality is necessary all over the world, the Olympics is not the place for me to make a stand.”

Weir has been targeted by gay rights activists, including the group Queer Nation, who allege his participation as a commentator “in effect” endorses Russia’s anti-gay propaganda law, which prohibits the “promotion of non-traditional relationships” as either normal or equal to that of heterosexual relationships.

“I see the Olympics strictly as a sporting event and not a political event. I see the Olympics for what they are – it’s young people performing for their country and for glory. That’s how I see the Olympics, I don’t see them as a political protest,” said Weir.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers, Olympics

1. He’s getting criticized for his Russian worship. He’s got a weird fetish for the place and see it through rose-colored glasses. Which is great until he goes over there and gets his face based in by their crazy anti-gay thugs, kidnapped, or worse.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:09pm
  2. I’m sorry but he’s acting like a spoiled asshole.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:09pm
  3. he has a point, and it’s a valid one.. everyone should just let it go

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:10pm
  4. If the point of the Olympics is for personal glory, then his point is well-taken; but I thought there was more to the Olympic spirit, as expressed in Coubertin's Olympic ideals expressed in the Olympic creed: "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." Personal glory don't mean shit if you're willing to sacrifice your ethics and integrity to gain it!

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:17pm
  5. What about the hundreds of Russians detained for peaceful protest after they were beaten bloody by unrestrained mobs? Should they just let it go too? Look, the US is no poster child for gay rights and respect for dignity, but at least we follow laws of basic decency, and gay cleansing is the topic du jour in Russia.

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:26pm
  6. Yea, just let it go. Everything will be okay if we do what nice Mr. Putin says. o.O http://www.towleroad.com/2013/11/russian-homophobic-vigilantes-kidnap-torture-gay-south-african-student.html

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:36pm
  7. his opinion on the matter is NOT going to change anything, if anyone thinks it would, they are assuming he has WAY more power than he has. (and people, he isn't even competing)

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:38pm
  8. ignoring the problem and the consequences of that wont change anything either. SILENCE IS DANGEROUS!

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:58pm
  9. maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut completely.

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:59pm
  10. Anne Still U have your rights don't you? if you didn't you wouldn't just say let it go!

Replied on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:06am
  11. This man suffers from what I believe every gay person suffers from in their existence. We have the need, internal need, to prove we are as good as, equal as, etc, any straight person. So he would still work to go to the Olympics to do what he worked his life to do!! I understand his position but how he chose to describe it initially put him in harms way!!! Tell it like it is nobody can take that away.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:10pm
  12. Because Olympic glory is more important than life.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:10pm
  13. bitch gf,:* but if you win..please wave your queer myster :*

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:10pm
  14. His flamboyancy in Russia is a protest by itself

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:11pm
  15. bullshit, how about his working for the russian embassy and not wanting to hurt his income.

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:13pm
  16. ... humor

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:14pm
  17. His boyfriend is Russian. If he speaks out I’ll stop despising him.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:12pm
  18. I can understand how difficult it is for someone who has given (and gotten) so much to make a decision to give it up. All I can say is that there have been multitudes who have given much more than what he chooses to keep to improve my personal safety, civil rights and comfort.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:12pm
  19. If gay participants boycott, Russia gets what they want.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:13pm
  20. Maybe he just loves his country?

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:14pm
  21. He needs to get over himself. He is not that important.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:14pm
  22. I don’t agree with Weir’s choosing to ignore the boycott but I also respect his expressed reason for doing so although it does sound a bit weak when he says, “While equality is necessary all over the world, the Olympics is not the place for me to make a stand.” That leaves me a bit saddened because I really do disagree with that sentiment.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:14pm
  23. Hey if he wants to go let him go. Its his choice.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:17pm
  24. sporters should not boycot the Olympics but the poleticians should.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:17pm
  25. He is right, the Olympics is a sporting event not a political event. Leave him alone.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:17pm
  26. attention whore/who cares

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:17pm
  27. Hitler hated black people, yet we still sent Jesse Owens to Berlin where he proceeded to kick some serious ass.
    Anyone else see the point I am trying to make here?

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:19pm
  28. I think our people should do a Jesse Owens and SMEAR those damn bigots.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:20pm
  29. Jack ass!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:22pm
  30. He has worked so hard to get where he is, it would be stupid to boycott Russia. Instead, win a gold and tell Putin to shove it!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:24pm
  31. He isn't competing. He is going as a reporter for a news station...

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:36pm
  32. really, well he likes $$$

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:40pm
  33. I don’t understand why people are so upset about him going to the Olympics. If every gay athlete and gay non-athlete went from all over the world Putin would have a he’ll of a time trying to stop all of them from speaking out. Fly our flag with pride and don’t hide from closed minded hypocrites that are just as gay as we are but don’t want anyone to know it.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:24pm
  34. He is right, so all of the great LGBT athletes have struggles and sacrificed for nothing… I say show up in numbers, and have some great security!! they did it in Nazi Germany! Do not let the tyrants win!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:25pm
  35. I think its brave of him to attend. Maybe a statement of saying oh well I’m gay, and fuck you, see you there says more than staying home. Rosa Parks didn’t boycott the bus, she sat up front proudly

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:26pm
  36. If he had not worn the Russian outfit, I would be more supportive…..now he is just a has been looking for publicity

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:28pm
  37. No…he’s pretty much a self-involved dick.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:29pm
  38. Johnny, you make a clear point as to what Olympics mean to you. Nobody can change that, don’t let anyone change that! Do your thing!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:30pm
  39. I agree with him. It’s a sporting event, and athletes really do sacrifice so much to get there.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:30pm
  40. What he has failed to understand all along is that it’s his defense of the Russian Gov’t that has people up in arms. He’s free to work for whomever he chooses, go wherever he wants, and if that gets him in hot water with the LGBT community, those are his choices. I think what we’re critical of is how he’s failed to acknowledge the atrocities being comitted there. He’s fame whore through and through, so screw you little Johnny, you reap what you sew.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:30pm
  41. Go girl. Show them phobes what you can do!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:31pm
  42. Here’s the problem: Weir is basically saying that the glory-seeking opportunities of a tiny number of pampered, privileged athletes is more important than calling attention to the systemic abuse of hundred of thousands of people.

And that is just wrong.

And anyone who thinks politics and the Olympics aren’t inextricably linked is an idiot.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:32pm
  43. Being gay should not determine your entire life, it is not all you are. Human rights is about you being able to be who you are no matter what. To say he HAS to because he is gay makes you just as controlling and bias as the opposing party.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:34pm
  44. Sorry, but the Olympics is about inclusion, not exclusion. The problem is that he is selfish and while I understand that it takes a good deal of sacrifice, if enough nations joined in the boycott, then the Olympic Committee would have to move it to a location that everyone could agree upon. So it’s not like that effort would have been wasted.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:34pm
  45. Oh give me a break. He is his own person. Win it for all of us.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:35pm
  46. And what would be wrong with a flamboyant out gay man commenting on ice skating? It is his life and what he decides to do is his biz. Putin is the One that should be criticized. I for one look forward to his commentary. And hopefully…hopefully some boy or girl out there will see him and think that being gay IS okay.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:36pm
  47. That’s correct, Brandon. Just like being a member of ANY minority is not all that you are. But when even a part of you is legislated against, the rest of you is not free.

And seriously people, he’s not competing. He’s not going to win anything for anyone.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:37pm
  48. That black bird’s nest he has on his lapel? I have a Christmas ornament just like it, but it’s purple. hehehe (totally irrelevant comment)

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:37pm
  49. And Harold misses the point entirely.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:37pm
  50. yes because money and fame are more important then self love and pride thanks for putting the community under the bus wheir. oh and the whole dame oplompicks should not even exist it is all look at me I am so dame great. it really showes just how dumb we are as a nation think of what that money could do foe education and the poor but no we just remain complacent because what it is a sporting event.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:37pm
  51. but yes we cannot run scared from those that opress us or they have won.

Replied on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:38pm
  52. So many gays are completely oblivious to the political realities and battles of the world. Please just go back to your gay ghetto bar scene where everything is about meth, unicorns, butt plugs and fairy sparkles.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:39pm
  53. He worked his ass off for years, why the hell should he boycott?

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:40pm
  54. They need to cut him some slack.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:43pm
  55. John, I just wonder how old you re…The point is this. He is gay and out there. Haven’t gay men and women suffered enough? How many must die without having a face put to them. He has made a statement…he is out there and in the news and pushing buttons. And guess what..it is his life not yours. He is happy and healthy and doing what he wants to do. And…again..his biz not yours mine or anyone else’s so if you are angry. Don’t watch. Your loss.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:45pm
  56. Johnny isn’t going there to compete, he’s going there as a commentator

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:46pm
  57. he should do whatever he fells like he wants to!! good for him not to act like the “sheeple” of the U.S !!!!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:46pm
  58. He obviously has a Russian fetish, I say Boycott.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:47pm
  59. i believe the olympics are about sport and should be kept that way…look back to the 70′s with the massacre that happened, all because politics was brought into the olympics…and the 80′s where so many potentially world class athletes couldn’t compete because of political boycotts…fight for the rights of everyone, but not in a sporting arena…i support Weir for standing up for his beliefs & opinions

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:50pm
  60. Its not a political event…it’s a money maker event.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:52pm
  61. Boycotting the Olympics should be a personal choice. I may disagree with his decision, but I respect and admire his courage and talent. For that reason, I can say I’m proud he will be representing the US.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:55pm
  62. Don’t boycott the games, just Russian companies and products.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:55pm
  63. And what agonizingly awful show did he have on Logo? Definitely self absorbed.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:57pm
  64. so what you are mostly saying is that he has no freedom of speech or original thought? Leave him alone and let him stand up for what he stands up for. Thanks Johnny!!! Rock it buddy!!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10:59pm
  65. He’s a cool cat.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:04pm
  66. I say we just not have the Olympics in Russia.we all know they makin money.so why have all those pep go there risk there life’s. And the pep that hate them will make money from this event.Hell No!!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:06pm
  67. True, he is a “Flame” that will light up the darkness. Brave beyond measure.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:06pm
  68. I personally already boycotted the Olympic’s. Every gay person is at High risk in that country for being arrested or detained by that country. Boycotting and a embargo against that country is the only answer!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:12pm
  69. I don’t blame him for not taking a stand. This is his life, his dream and his decision. Get out of his face. He is out as a gay man. Let him take a stand in his time and in his own way. We have the world on our backs and criticizing us. We don’t need to attack each other.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:12pm
  70. It’s not for not boycotting his role for NBC for the Olympics that I’m upset it’s how insensitive he is to the Russian LGBTQ community and their safety!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:18pm
  71. Very well said. His commentary thus far indicates an appalling lack of compassion for the suffering and abuse heaped upon the Russian LGBT community. He gives the impression that he believes Russian LGBTs are criminals and deserve to be punished. "Don't have anal sex in front of public libraries" what a total misrepresentation of the real effect and scope of the bigoted anti-gay laws in Russia.

Replied on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 2:25am
  72. I still don’t think the Olympics should be boycotted either. Athletes have the right to be there. Their presence speaks volumes. Recall when the Black runners beat the Aryan Nation back in the day.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:21pm
  73. Just go. they already know who is out. That should be enough

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:24pm
  74. This whole thing reminds me of the rise of Hitler and it is really disturbing. If we don’t stand for something, we stand for nothing and ANYTHING can happen.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:25pm
  75. I agree- go and let them know that Olympians are also gay! Forget their hateful government and protest this time by being there. I will boycott by not watching!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:25pm
  76. Putin is going nuts…..more LGBT Americans at the games..I love it

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:31pm
  77. suck it Weir!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:32pm
  78. Leave him alone. I think it’s a brave act. He’s out there instead of hiding.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:50pm
  79. This asshole even looks guilty in the picture above… He knows he’s straight wrong! What a money grubbing piece of shit!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:54pm
  80. he can have his opinion-but i think it SUCKS BIG TIME!!!”im all for fighting-unless i can get a medal”- screw that!

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 11:56pm
  81. If he goes to Sochi and gets arrested for being gay, he’s got no one to blame…

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:01am
  82. It’s not so much his refusal to boycott – many athletes are participating and we shouldn’t place the burden on their careers – but his outspoken and unapologetic defence of Russia that got him in the cross fire.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:01am
  83. why is he still receiving so attention? he is by far the only gay person on the planet defending Russian government. WHY??? who in their right mind would ever support a country that jails lgbt people, takes their children out of their homes, and allows beating and murders to go unaccounted for. I’m sorry, but “olympic pride”; I think not. Pumping billions of dollars into Russia is such a foolish thing to do, and quite despicable.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:01am
  84. he is doing the right thing by showing those russian assholes that there is nothing wrong with being gay!!!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:05am
  85. At least ONE American is doing what Russian gays want us to do which is to NOT boycott the Olympics but support #GayPrideSochi

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:08am
  86. It’s the 1936 Berlin Olympics all over again, he’s doing the right thing by getting in there and showing them they’re wrong just like Jesse Owens did in Berlin. I don’t oppose a boycott, but I personally don’t want to boycott.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:17am
  87. I don’t hate him for that, I hate him because he wears fur..

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:29am
  88. Russian politics have to be changed by the desire of the Russian people. Unfortunately, it’s just not there yet. Hell, it still hasn’t quite happened here yet either!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:29am
  89. Putin wants his people to be on the look out for people ‘acting gay’ Step right up comrades! See the pink blinking beacon otherwise known as Johnny Weir!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:35am
  90. Rember Russia thinks you’re a pedophile if you’re gay. The President said so.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:41am
  91. Traitor.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:56am
  92. Weir is weird!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:00am
  93. The people protesting haven’t spent their entire lives preparing for the Olympics. They need to STFU.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:01am
  94. You better us wow us off the chart with your costumes! Over the top!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:05am
  95. I cut him some slack but i think he is blinded by his boyfriend and he has been in love with russia for some time… like the time he wore a russian military outfit for a interview …

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:16am
  96. if Russia made Christianity illegal, would all still be so open minded about Sochi? i don’t think so. or what if they were persecuting blacks or Jews?

fuck Johnny Weir. if there a term equal to Uncle Tom within the gay community, that would be him.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:19am
  97. We are all entitled to our opinion. I support his. Face it, he will be walking among the lions while he is there. I say he’s got guts.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:20am
  98. the olympics are not a political event? say that to the afrcan amercan sprinter Jessie Owens who ran during the 1936 Berlin Olympics….

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:43am
  99. Obama sending Billie Jean King as his official delegate to the Olympics is one of the coolest moves he has made.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:49am
  100. It’s not the Olympics we need to boycott; it’s Putin. He is responsible for human rights violations and suffering, why are we not sanctioning that fascist!?

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:52am
  101. It’s not his job to boycott. It’s his job to perform in the olympics or to support his team. His sexual preferences do not come before his job and it’s not his place to be our boycott spokesman. People need to grow the hell up and start doing things themselves instead of having expectations of others.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:56am
  102. yes Johnny the personal is political. we have known this for a loooooongg time.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:57am
  103. Being put on the same plane as a pedophile is unacceptable.
    Being marginalized based on sexuality is unacceptable.
    I don’t think boycotting will help the Russian LGBTQ community.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 1:59am
  104. So, personal glory is more important than how we treat others?

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 2:17am
  105. “I didn’t ask to be a public figure” Are you kidding me?

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 2:28am
  106. Boycott!!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 2:32am
  107. He shouldnt hide, why back down to your bullies?

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:15am
  108. Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:32am
  109. I would say exactly what he said only in support of boycotting the olympics. It’s a sporting event. Participants are in it for glory. Gay people are fighting for basic human rights. Gay people are being killed in Russia. I’d say that kind of trumps all.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:33am
  110. So over him.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:38am
  111. While I agree with his sentiment- I wonder if he is not a little biased- based on his love of Russia— however, the US did not Politicize this- Russia did by their atrocious human rights record.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:03am
  112. He explained his position MONTHS ago and I support him!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:08am
  113. Get the fuck over it

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:14am
  114. They will arrest him on the grounds his body is gay propaganda

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:26am
  115. He’s an athlete not an activist. And still he’s making a point by being openly gay and in Russia.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:50pm
  116. He is free to do as he pleases. Take a lesson you fucking sissys! Stand up to your bullies and do your best to shine! He has a passion leave him the fuck alone!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:50pm
  117. He’s not wrong.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:50pm
  118. Boycotting is the easy way out. If you want to make a statement, go compete or represent your nation with pride!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:52pm
  119. I agree Edgar. I think its better go there and show Russia that LGBTQ individuals are not criminals, deviants, or something to be feared/hated. that were just like everybody else.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:53pm
  120. His safety is more important . He is doing the right thing .

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:53pm
  121. I don’t think Gays give a shit nearly as much about him and his stance on this as social media (or he) claims.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:54pm
  122. If he doesn’t see the Olympics as political, he needs to wake up. Every host country has used the Olympics as a political tool. I would say that with the number of other international competitions every year, the Olympics has lost a lot of their luster, besides saddling the host country with crushing debt they can never get out from under.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:54pm
  123. Go for the gold!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:55pm
  124. I find it funny that we(LGBT community) are fighting for the FREEDOM to make are own choices and have those choices be legal in are country and around the world but as soon as somebody next choice that does not support us (LGBT community) we are all so quick to say how wrong that person is, kind of like how the religious conservative groups are so quick to say how wrong we are. it was his choice can’t you just accept it the same way you want others to accept your choices?!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:55pm
  125. I can appreciate the feelings on both sides. But I do like to think, as Edgar and Betsy say, that there is a lot of power in showing up and representing us. I support him. I also wanna see him in the Olympics!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:57pm
  126. Please ask him to stop. And stop fostering his whining.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:57pm
  127. Luis Hernandez

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:57pm
  128. There are many ways of acting positively for the LGBTetc. community with regards to Russia and the Olympics. One is to boycott vociferously. Another is to show up and dominate as out queer athletes.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:58pm
  129. He is sooo far up Russias ass. This fiesnt surprise me.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 3:58pm
  130. Everybody have seen the pic of jesse Owens at the nazi Olympics. If he had decided to boycott then the picture would not exist.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:00pm
  131. Under the law in Russia anyone is allowed to be prosecuted while spreading gay propaganda.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:01pm
  132. First, Weir isn’t going to Socchi as an athlete – he’s a commentator. Second, he will do far more good as an out gay man in an expert public role than he would sitting home boycotting. Third, those planning to boycott this huge, international event will not be missed. Finally, STFU and let this man make his own choices and live guys life in peace. Isn’t that what LGBT equality is supposed to be about? The right to be left alone?

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:04pm
  133. I would respect his views more if he was not paid by the Russian Embassy and his boyfriend wasn’t Russian or he hadn’t worn the Soviet Military Uni to a interview … I dont like boycotts either they might sway some greedy company out of fear forthe bottom line… but politically Peaceful protest is the only way.. and that means going to the game and showing your true colors.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:06pm
  134. He’s only about him. Stop playing victim and step up

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:07pm
  135. I have mixed feeling about this boycott. In allot of cases I would say boycott but in this case I kind of want LGBT competitors to pull a Jesse Owens story and have them all win a metal. Then say F you Russia. Boycotting the Olympics may not do a thing but Boycotting Russia can do allot. Don’t buy Russian and don’t visit Russia.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:07pm
  136. Johnny you know all to well when you open your mouth what will happen. Be careful what you wish for, it might come true!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:07pm
  137. “‘I see the Olympics strictly as a sporting event and not a political event. I see the Olympics for what they are – it’s young people performing for their country and for glory. That’s how I see the Olympics, I don’t see them as a political protest,’ said Weir.”

He has been treated less than human in his lifetime. He has hidden in the closet so long that the dark is more important than the light. ‘Country and glory’ trump humanity and respect, to him.

Human rights is a ‘political protest’?! To put it mildly, he’s fucked up.

How will he feel when he’s locked up for being gay? If not Russia, some other country he visits, unaware of that country’s stance. He degrades the work and suffering of those before him who opened closet doors. He talks as if suffering for a sporting contest is more important than suffering for equality.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:08pm
  138. Thank you, I agree with all of this.

Replied on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:14pm
  139. Anyone who thinks that the Olympics are not a political event are living in a fools paradise. The countries who host the games a doing so for there own political gain in the world. There has been political protest at all the games. Jesse Owens in 36 was a snub to Hitler who used the games to promote the NAZI party. The tragedy at Munich in 72, China silencing political opposition before the Bejing games. Putin freeing political prisoners prior to this years games. All political.

Replied on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:29pm
  140. This shouldn’t be about politics- it’s the lives of human beings on the line and the fact he thinks that it’s just a political issue is kinda sickening.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:12pm
  141. Gay opinions on this subject are wide and various. Therefore, the more input he gets the greater degree of non-consensus he’ll get. He’s not being pulled anyway. Because he’s the arbitrator of his actions. Whatever you do you’ll have haters so make your peace with that and do what you feel is best for you.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:14pm
  142. Honestly, who cares. The LGBT community have so much up in arms moments that its annoying. They were mad about South Park making gay jokes, but they joke about everything. People are too freaking sensitive.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:14pm
  143. I agree with Johnny Weir…. there’s a time and place… this is not it!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:15pm
  144. Michael G., pardon your sensitivities. Lest I offend your WHITE MALE PRIVILEGE, I block thee!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:16pm
  145. Actually no, Johnny. You’ve been targeted because you’ve said some really stupid things about anti-gay laws and protests in Russia. Go and make us proud and let’s hope all the GLBT athletes make us proud too–that’s the best way to deal with the Russian idiots. Boycott is silly.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:16pm
  146. Johnny is a money grubbing asshole with NO backbone.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:16pm
  147. I’m sure however, he is an athlete, he has trained his whole life for these few Olympics yes he is a gay athlete but an athlete I think just as he is and was born gay.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:17pm
  148. Weir is weird !

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:18pm
  149. These athletes have worked their whole lives for this moment and made great sacrifices in their lives. Go and hold your head up high.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:19pm
  150. I think he’s right. I think EVERYONE should go and compete and KICK SOME RUSSIAN ASS!!! Boycotting is an easy silence, standing up for what you believe in and continuing screams volumes!!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:22pm
  151. Johnny Weir is a whining, self-important, tacky little bitch. Nothing more. A good competitive skater, but never close to great. Never a natural or effective showman, no matter how many sequins and fur collars he added to his schtick.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:22pm
  152. His opposition to a boycott is not why he's being vilified in some quarters. His outright pandering to Russia throughout all this is why.

Replied on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:24pm
  153. ahhhhh…social politics strike again.

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:26pm
  154. Putin said in an interview, within the past day or so, something to the effect of ‘we welcome gays to visit Russia, so long as they don’t talk to the children (under 18) of Russia about being gay or anything about the lifestyle’
    Pretty sure this Facebook page shared it.
    There will always be a group of people who hate or don’t agree with another groups’ lifestyle.
    Everyone has their own free will … and all who use that free will have to live with themselves, their decisions and face whatever Maker they believe in and deal with their own personal Eternity.

Let us not hate on our own group … are we not hated enough?

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 4:28pm