New York

Suspect arrested in brutal beating of NYC gay journalist

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

NEW YORK — Police have arrested a suspect in connection with the attack and brutal beating of a gay journalist on a New York City street.

Randy Gener

Randy Gener

They say Leighton Jennings was arrested without incident at a residence in Queens shortly before midnight Tuesday. The 24-year-old faces felony assault charges.

Police say that Randy Gener, 45, was on his way home from a party in midtown Manhattan in the early hours of Jan. 17 when he was attacked, brutally beaten and left for dead in a pool of his own blood.

The attack occurred just one block away from his apartment.

Police did not include additional hate crimes charges against Jennings, but police said the possibility of anti-gay bias in the attack is still under investigation by the NYPD hate crimes unit. His wallet, phone and gold necklace were not taken.

Gener underwent brain surgery as a result of injuries sustained in the attack. Relatives say he remembers little about the attack and faces additional surgery.

Gener is an award-winning arts journalist who has worked for several national media outlets including the New York Times, the New York Daily News and other major publications.

Associated Press contributed to this report.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: New York

1. So happy to hear this!

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:21pm
  2. Hope they throw the person off of the Empire State Building to see if they can fly.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:23pm
  3. When does the violence end? How about justice rather than vengeance.

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:26pm
  4. Naw... Stop warehousing murders. Violent will end when all of the criminal say uncle or six foot under...

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:27pm
  5. Kirk is right, we shouldn't use violence and be as bad as them. But the violent offender should definitely be punished to the full extent.

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:28pm
  6. For 1 murder with a 20 year sentence = $320,000 living cost on avg if the inmate is healthy. Do you have $320,000 to pay for 1 person???

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:29pm
  7. People would be amazed that in SC.. It takes over $600 Million dollars to house 28000 inmates.. If USA would legalize marijuana, SC prisons could free up around 3,000+ beds. SC could shut down a few more prisons and reduce cost across the board.

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:34pm
  8. I hope he's punished to the full extent of the law.

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:45pm
  9. Can they beat him the same way?

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:23pm
  10. Only if he's Black .

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:34pm
  11. can they beat him the same way

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 11:39pm
  12. YES!!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:23pm
  13. That sh*t isn’t going to fly in NYC. Remember Stonewall!

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:24pm
  14. YES!!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:25pm
  15. I remember when being gay was cause for cops and investigators looking the other way — after all, he must have done something to “deserve” it. I am happy to see that we are evolving — hate crimes and rape are not to be ignored nor tolerated.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:27pm
  16. Violence against the gay community as it stands today will not end. Its better that if you walk down the street you don’t walk alone. Always in groups like the bashers did to him.
    But violence is no answer to combat violence.
    I’m glad they caught one of the suspects. But from what I understand there was more than one person involved in the beating?

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:33pm
  17. So violence will not help? Yes it will...give him what he gave. Some people only understand violence. And others will take note and not repeat the same flipping incident because of the fear of what will happen to them...Shall we all just get together and hug and expect things to be ok? Bleeding fucking hearts...These kind of people do not deserve anything less than what they gave. make an example

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:49pm
  18. Fucking sad to hurt anyone over something like this..wtf is wrong with people?

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:44pm
  19. I hope he gets 2o years in prison and raped every day!!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:52pm
  20. Can’t wait to see justice done.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 5:15pm
  21. Angie Arthurs then you will agree to go to jail for a crime that was hateful in the first place? Did you ever hear the saying “2 wrongs don’t make it right!”
    I’m 58 years old and have seen a lot of violence in my time, that made no sense. Some of that violence started wars against innocent people that had nothing to do with the act of the law breaking offenders in the first place.
    I demonstrate a peaceful solution to combat violence against people who is anti gay in Russia, India, Nigeria… displaying a peaceful Boycott.
    So far no violence other than one threat that was sent to me from a man in Ohio.
    If you knew me, I laugh at stupidity, and have faced danger in the eye, without any violence against me in other tours I have done in the past.
    Violence doesn’t solve a thing. Let the law handle this matter. Its the only way that other people don’t suffer the wrongs of others for revenge.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 5:16pm
  22. I’m glad they caught one of them but hopefully they will catch the others in involved in this attack

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 5:42pm
  23. Do the Same To Him

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 6:04pm
  24. Good he needs justice recovery and support !

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 6:26pm
  25. String him up.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 6:44pm
  26. Good. I know it’s not nice to wish evil on him, but can I say.. I hope he gets his karma evened out?

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 7:41pm
  27. Humm, and some people call that love. Whatevera//

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 8:07pm
  28. I’m so sick of people judging other’s that are gay. The prejudice in this Country, toward Gay people is really sad.In my opinion they are the one that has the problem with their sexuality, not us. If they didn’t then they wouldn’t have a problem, now would they???

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 8:10pm
  29. This is A Shame.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 8:13pm
  30. Put his azz in jail.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 9:50pm
  31. Cowards afraid of their own feelings abound; some possess such fear that they become violent. Pitiful and tragic.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 10:10pm
  32. Horrible!

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 10:46pm
  33. I wish this poor victim and beautiful man a full physical recovery, because mentally he is scared for life. My heart is with you.

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 12:54am
  34. God bless him. I pray for his speedy recovery.

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 2:10am
  35. Get that bastard!

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 2:37am
  36. Geez.

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 3:09am
  37. He’s a Filipino-American. So sad that this happened to him

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 4:55am
  38. Hope they file federal hate crime charges.

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 5:02am
  39. Weeheeee applause!

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 5:56am
  40. Good !!

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6:12am
  41. I wish people would stop the hate!! If he did this crime he should fry

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6:49am
  42. Great!!!

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 10:10am
  43. If it were me, I’d brutally beat him

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 12:39pm
  44. The man arrested was young, a person of color. And I wonder why or where he learned this bias. And if you don’t like gay people why on earth would you come to Hells Kitchen New York?

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 12:41pm