Oregon school district settles lawsuit over anti-gay bullying

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

EUGENE, Ore. — The Eugene, Ore. School District has paid $5,000 to settle an Oregon lawsuit that accused it of failing to stop students at a middle school from bullying and harassing a boy they perceived as gay.

bullyingThe suit was filed in federal court. It said the Cal Young Middle School student was subjected to slurs daily in the sixth through eighth grade.

It said he was diagnosed with depression, panic disorder and social phobia, and he moved to a private school where tuition was $10,000 a year.

In the settlement agreement, the district denied wrongdoing and said it settled only to avoid legal costs.

It said when the suit was filed that it has a strong anti-bullying policy and works to stop any inappropriate behavior.

© 2014, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Oregon

1. They piiss more than that away on grass fertilizer, aka shit!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 12:22am
  2. I’d just like to point out that we have two school districts here in Eugene. Cal Young is in the 4J school district. Unfortunately I haven’t seen anything on the news about this which sucks.

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 12:23am
  3. it offends me that they settled for that little amount, how will such a small settlement encourage the school to change the enabling problem of bullying?

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 12:24am
  4. $5 grand settlement for 3 years of torment resulting in seriously debilitating conditions. That doesn’t even cover one year of tuition at this boy’s new school. Incredible.

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 12:30am
  5. they should own the school district! NEVER STOP the bullies didn’t!

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 12:34am
  6. 100 times this fine is still not enough

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 1:12am
  7. If they’re so concerned about anti-bullying measures, how does $5,000 even begin to cover the damage they failed to prevent?

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 1:35am
  8. Better than me I got nothing but in those days it wasn’t considered a crime

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 1:45am
  9. Some schools side with the bullies and that is not fair at all because some bullies never learn they just keep doing it and hiding behind their parents or school because they think they can get away with it and the school and their parents will believe them over the victims and that is so screwed up because when I was little I was bullied on the school bus and I did not want to ride on the bus again and the one kid that bullied me was about 15 and I was about 7 or 8

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 2:25am
  10. Yes most schools have a policy but not all teachers in force the policy that’s the main issue is that students get away with it because the rule isn’t enforced!!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 2:54am
  11. Sigh …

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 3:28am
  12. far to small for such actions…it will cost more that that for the couciling that child will proably require.

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 3:47am
  13. Sheesh! They shoulda thrown the kids outta school and sent them to a school that’ll teach them to respect LGBTQ people!!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 5:59am
  14. Then maybe the guys at Columbine were on to something…

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 8:35am
  15. Bullying sucks! I know all these morons that babble on about political correctness and free speech. They babble on “No one knows what to say anymore” that is such bullshit! I always tell them as long as you speak to all other people with respect and do not degrade them with hateful slangs or say offensive things it’s a no brainer.

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 10:44am
  16. Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 11:35am
  17. Meanwhile, America wonders why they aren’t making the grade.

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 1:38pm
  18. Throwing money at a student doesn’t fix the larger problem. I agree its a step but as an openly gay teacher for more than 20 years, I can tell you that the problem is not going away. I have been harassed, students are constantly harassed….$5000 is not even a beginning. We need swift action on a societal level.

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 2:27pm