United Kingdom

London ban on anti-gay bus ad put in doubt by court of appeal ruling

Monday, January 27, 2014
Competing ads: Stonewall UK's message (top) that "some people are gay;" Core Issues Trust's ad (below) that some people are "ex-gay" and proud.

Competing ads: Stonewall UK’s message (top) that “some people are gay;” Core Issues Trust’s ad (below) that some people are “ex-gay” and proud.

LONDON — A ban on a Christian charity’s bus advertisements suggesting that gay people can “cured” was put in doubt on Monday by a court of appeal judgment.

The court ordered an investigation into whether London mayor Boris Johnson acted “for an improper purpose” when he ordered the ban, reported The Guardian.

The posters, which were to run on 24 buses, said: “Not Gay. Ex-Gay, Post-Gay and Proud. Get over it!” and were in response to a previous poster campaign by gay rights group Stonewall UK, which said: “Some people are gay. Get over it!”

The Core Issues Trust had claimed that Johnson unlawfully used his position as chairman of Transport for London (TfL) to prohibit the advertisement on buses to secure support from the gay community prior to his 2012 re-election campaign.

According to the court of appeal, there has been “fresh evidence” suggesting he may have done so.

Lord Dyson, the second most senior judge in England and Wales, said the new evidence consists of an email that Johnson sent to TfL, demanding the advert pulled down before the 2012 mayoral elections.

The court’s decision overruled an earlier decision by the UK High Court upholding the ban, which is now predicated on a fresh inquiry.

If Johnson loses the case, the ban will be overturned and, according to the court, it would be illegal for TfL to reinstate a new ban.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: United Kingdom

1. Brilliant :)

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:16am
  2. One side is based on science, the other is based on religious bigotry and anecdotal nonsense. Both sides of the argument do not hold equal weight. What next? We get schools to teach creationism in science classes, presenting it as a viable alternative to evolutionary theory? Purlease. This was a bad decision – bad for equality, bad for science and bad for democracy.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:17am
  3. Almost all advertising is based on anecdotal nonsense, but the difference is regular advertising discriminates less frequently. Many schools do already teach creationism alongside evolution. Christian zealots are dumbing us down so we can stay in the fucking dark ages. All of them want us to think they are relevant

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 4:05am
  4. It's already happening more than you think. http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/creationism_in_public_schools_mapped_where_tax_money_supports_alternatives.html

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 5:12am
  5. Pathetic

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:18am
  6. Apparently that makes being straight a choice, time to push that anti-straight bill

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:18am
  7. Looks like trademark infringement perhaps.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:18am
  8. advertising bullshit lies should be illegal

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:19am
  9. So we silence or support the silence of that which we disagree with…sounds like the LGBT community is just a bad as the religious one

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:20am
  10. this is about truth vs lies and no matter how bad we may get we will never equal those bible thumpers.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:24am
  11. Lies according to who? Prove that this person didnt choose to live straight. Hell it doesnt even matter if he is lieing people have freedom of speech. Oh wait its England no they dont. Sorry but If you support the oppression of people that disagree with you, you have no right to call yourself oppresed. Its crap like this that has made it so I've not sent a dime to any lgbt organization. Sorry me and my boyfriend tend to support freedom for all not just those we agree with.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:27am
  12. @Daniel ; live in your comfortable GAY life; many of us choose to fight for Gay children and youth dumped on the streets. Curious ; you GOP , Daniel? GOP wealth?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:40am
  13. Freedom of Speech is taking the feedback in the general population! I never need agree with a gay hater!

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:43am
  14. What is GOP wealth? Learn to type a coherent message rather then smacking your head into the keys to type buddy. Sorry I work to help ALL youth not just lgbt youth. But hey ya know priorites right? Also no I am not a republican. I am a Libertarian who believes all people have the right to live free of force. ALL people. Not just people I like. You see unlike you I am not an emotional cripple that must attack what I dont like legally with no realization that public opinion can swing the other way a screw me with the same laws I fought for.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:43am
  15. Daniel, do you also believe that the Ku Klux Klan should be allowed to promote their racist viewpoints? By your logic of free speech, they should be able to. Because these situations are hardly different.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:11am
  16. Yup I do. I believe they have the right to print, broadcast, and hold rallies all they want. The second they try to infringe on the rights of others via force then you get to punish them. Not before. I unlike most here it seems believe in peoples ability to see stupid and ugly for what it is. Silencing those that you didn't agree with is wrong. Its also dangerous to put a cork on idiots that already are likely angry. Let them vent via useless media or rallies or risk other more destructive outlets.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:15am
  17. I understand your point, but there is an extent that it runs to and a boundary that should not be crossed in your thinking that you have crossed. While it would be nice for people to have that type of freedom, the effects of THAT much freedom are not good for society. This goes not for just this situation, but for any situation. The reason is that in situations like this, where you have an obvious debate winner and debate loser, you should not allow the obvious debate loser to continue spreading their viewpoint as equally as those on the obvious debate winner side. Why should you not allow that? Because eventually when it comes down to it, there has to be someone make a decision that's generally better for the greater good, and you don't want that decision to be the wrong one. Otherwise, you have just likely created years of work for yourself to backtrack and fix the problem.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:31am
  18. No just no. You do not get to silence those that you disagree with. There is no fracking greater good that gets to dictate ANYONES life. We all get to live free of force against us or we do not its that simple. Any other method of governance is what has lead to all the ills of this world

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:35am
  19. It's not about silencing what we disagree with. Gay therapy has no proof that it actually works. All it does is make people feel shame and guilt about being gay. You can't change your sexuality, cause if you could. Than wouldn't break ups be easy, cause a person could just choose to not be attracted to them. Or wouldn't dating be easy, cause the person could just choose who they wanna be attracted to.Think about it.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:55am
  20. Ok Larry and what is your point. A soda is proven to be harmful too. I believe if an adult wants to advertise a worthless and potentially harmful service to other adults screw it let the idiots pay money to other idiots. We do not have the right to use force on those that are not using force on us

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:57am
  21. Quite a large number of people sent to gay conversion therapy clinics did not do so of their own will. They are minors sent there by their religious parents.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:11am
  22. Felix and I would agree with this being against the law. I do not agree with using FORCE against others.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:13am
  23. Whatever happened to the fight for ‘equal rights?’ I guess some people are just more equal than others?

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:20am
  24. I refuse to believe that there are ex-gays. It’s just “propaganda.”

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:22am
  25. Unbelievable, Bullshit, how Fucking christian of them, These people are the Worst kind of evil, the ignorant kind!

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:27am
  26. U leave us alone and we’ll leave u alone!

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:27am
  27. How can they ‘cure’ something which is perfectly natural?

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:28am
  28. I know right?!?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:34am
  29. Brainwash .....and FAIL!

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:39am
  30. lots of things are 'natural' that can be cured, so I wouldn't phrase it that way. But in this particular case, they can't. At best they mess people up in the head and condition them to think they're cured. Or they just pretend.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:56am
  31. What is the British stand on trademark law.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:30am
  32. There is no such thing as exgay. Now, i could believe that bisexual people may not act on their homosexual thoughts. That’s more likely what’s happening.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:30am
  33. I “Like” because the Court is striking down the ad. Do you read?

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:32am
  34. er, no. The court could be striking down the ban, thus allowing this kind of advertisement again

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:58am
  35. Missed the point--apologies.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:59am
  36. Daniel Lazzara, seriously, I’m calling you out, I am sick of that argument. We are not just as bad, we post what is real, what is scientifically supported, they spout religious bias, proven to be abuse. Telling someone that is gay that they can be cured is the same as telling a straight person they can be cured. Neither is true, ex-gay doesn’t exist unless a person was guilted into it. I know many LGBT people trying to be themselves, being disowned, told they’re wrong or being selfish. Having a billboard that supports a person and letting them be is 100% different then a billboard that supports not letting a person be true to themselves……..

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:32am
  37. Lies or not it doesnt matter people have the right to spread whatever idiotic message they wish. On top of that if a person of ANY sexuality chooses not to act on it or chooses to act contrary to it how is this failure to be true to themselves? It may be what they want. Sure I think its stupid and mentally unhealthy but who do you think you are to suppress this persons right to speak of it if they wish. By what right do you claim the ability to do this

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:50am
  38. Because they are coming from a place of abuse and hate, suppressing a persons right to be. A person wants to not be true to themselves, if their church or family tells them too. That is their choice, but those ex gay therapy places have been closed and proven to be abusive. What happens in a persons church should stay in a persons church. Separation of Church and state, I know that's England, but the same should apply.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:04am
  39. I have a feeling you are being a devils advocate

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:05am
  40. No I believe that a person has the right to live free of force. That means that you do not get to silence a voice no matter your opinion of it. You do not get to use the force of the government to silence anyone that isnt making a threat against your person that's all that's it.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:08am
  41. They aren't making a threat to my person, really?! Have you ever dealt with discrimination, have you ever been attacked, raped, lost a job, my apartment, was threatened with a gun, and other physical harm, due to the close mindedness of people just like these hateful bigots, so YES. I have every reason to shut them up.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:12am
  42. First of all yes I've experienced a lot of that. Sorry but the person that bought that sign is NOT those that attacked you. You punish a person for a wrong doing NOT a group of people. One can have shitty ideas and not be violent about them. Its sad that you lash out at a whole group of people for the actions of a few. Its NOT ok to silence people that have differing ideas then you even if they are shitty ideas. You are using an emotional experience to dictate law which is NOT ok nor is it how we ought write laws in any country.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:21am
  43. Those people that put up that billboard perpetuate this hatred. So stopping a perpetuation of this hatred is a GOOD thing. There are a WHOLE GROUP of people who feel that way are if we allow this what to stop the next billboard, that is FAR WORSE, so it is in fact OK to dictate hate speech is wrong

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:25am
  44. Nope you are using force against people that are not using force against you. Just because you feel its wrong does not make it so. Nor does it mean you get to shut them up. If you think you have that right you are no better then what Russia is doing currently.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:28am
  45. Really, you compare what's happening in Russia to me telling hateful people to keep their hate in their own church, because I know who I am and never asked for their "help" they are completely different things.......

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:33am
  46. Yes I am. They are not forcing there help on you, they are not coming and black bagging anyone. They are advocating what they believe thats all thats it. You wanting to silence what they believe because you believe it harmful is just as bad a Putin. We all get to live free of force or none of us do. Simple as that

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:38am
  47. It is not as simple as that, it never is. I am currently having a conversation with 3 different trans girls that are trying to come out to their families, and they are not being supported, GUESS! ITS RELIGION! they are being told we can fix you, you aren't right, but the church can fix you, and where are these ideas coming from, ADS LIKE THE ONE IN ENGLAND!

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:42am
  48. Ok and? If these people are not strong enough to stand and say this is me and I dont care about your ad or religion they are going to be screwed by life any how. As for the families not supporting them Im sorry but its there religious belief that is the cause not an add. No one is going to be ok with lgbt people one day and be turned by an add. The add only works on those that have the belief already or at least some alignment with it

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:46am
  49. But if the ad wasn't there they wouldn't try to "fix" them.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:48am
  50. You cannot prove that. Its impossible to prove a negative. People have been trying to "pray the gay away" long before these quacks started to advertise how the heck do you think they got the idea.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:51am
  51. By that same measure, wouldn't the world be better if they didn't?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:52am
  52. Maybe. But a lot of people think the world would be better if lgbt people didnt "advertise" in public.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:55am
  53. It's no different then straight people advertising in public

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:59am
  54. Nor is this any different then an advertisement for alcohol or other items that harm millions each day

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:03am
  55. The difference being a choice is made by the recipient, to drink alcohol, to eat a super size big Mac(with a diet coke, cuz that makes it all better) they all chose to consume them. If a person is in church and chooses to undergo "ex-gay" therapy, that is their choice, and all of those people have to deal with the consequences: a hangover, obesity, or lying to yourself. But, to advertise it outside of a church involves "well-meaning" parents who just want to "fix" their children, some of these "caring" parents aren't even religious, then the consequences are no longer controlled by the person who the therapy is affected. That is my issue, the abuses these ads will invariably cause

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:12am
  56. Ok and I could put forward that adds for fast meals and other items have lead to parents making shitty food choices for there kids causing the obesity epidemic we see now. Where is the rally to punish parents for this? I agree forcing a child into unwanted and proven harmful therapy is wrong. However baning the advertising will just take it out of the public eye and hide the damage parents do to there kids. Thus removing social pressure against it.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:16am
  57. Yet, when we as a community say, these are ads are wrong and harmful to children (using our social pressure) you tell me they have a right for such ads?.......

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:19am
  58. Yet, when we as a community say, these are ads are wrong and harmful to children (using our social pressure) you tell me they have a right for such ads?.......

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:20am
  59. No I am against you useing GOVERNMENTAL FORCE via the law. Want to boycott the company that allows the add DO IT, want to write angry letters to the companies sponsoring the adds DO IT. THAT is social pressure NOT using the force of the government.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:21am
  60. I used government force here in Mass, to force jobs, housing and people in general to not discriminate against me, I went to my State House, spoke to my representatives and senators etc, to help pass a law for equal rights. Was that wrong? Or should I have boycotted the companies discriminating against me, the landlords that wouldn't rent to me,etc?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:31am
  61. I used government force here in Mass, to force jobs, housing and people in general to not discriminate against me, I went to my State House, spoke to my representatives and senators etc, to help pass a law for equal rights. Was that wrong? Or should I have boycotted the companies discriminating against me, the landlords that wouldn't rent to me,etc?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:31am
  62. Im sorry but I will say that I do not believe anyone has the right to work anywhere or buy from anyone that does not wish to hire them or sell to them. So I do think this is wrong. People have the right to do as they wish with there companies and properties. Could this affect me negatively? Sure it is possible but I am not about to say that I have a right to what another person owns.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:34am
  63. Wow, really, then we have zero more to say to each other, I was discriminated against at a $23/hr job, when I transitioned on the job, after going through all the right channels, they said everything would be fine, then they turned on me when the transition was complete. I spent 6 months trying to work there. I eventually had to go to the commission against discrimination, I technically won, but was forced to leave my job. At the same time my landlords who knew of my plan to transition for years and were fine, then proceeded to force me out of my home, all while the downstairs neighbor, who I had to get a restraining order against did his marked best to frighten and threaten me. So, yes, when the Equal right bill went through the State House, I fought for my future. If you think any of those people had the right to take those things from me, then I, Sir, am done with you

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:43am
  64. Im sorry if you believe you have the right to force a person to give you a job or a house. Though I am also sorry it seems like you have had such a hard life. Frankly your downstairs neighbor could have used a visit from the law or baring that a few friends of yours.No one has the right to intimidate you for who you are. However you also do not have the right to make someone give you things via the law.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:46am
  65. I had the police come 3 times, after he pulled a gun on me I got the restraining order and began to work on getting a gun license. So, you're saying that discrimination is ok?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:49am
  66. I am saying that you have the right to sell to, higher, rent to whomever you wish to or not. Its not up to anyone to get to dictate what people ought to do with there business or property for any reason. Also I hope you get your firearms permit soon. If you have questions on it or any aspect of self defense I am open to whatever advice I have to give. Me and my boyfriend are both military veterans so I have a bit of experience in that field.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:56am
  67. In his defense, I constantly see stories from pro-gay blogs that are entirely fabricated / based on nonsense. The difference is, on their side, they have absolutely no rational (the anti-gay side). On our side, the rubbish is a nuisance and is unethical, because some of the stories coming out from LGBTQNation and AmericaBlog and Upworthy (LGBTQNation is better though) that I look into further are just WAY different from reported, to the point I think it's safe to call them lies.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:58am
  68. I guess the point that Sabrina is trying to make is that being allowed to spread hate contributes obviously nothing positive to society, but the point Daniel is trying to make is that even while that is true, the society we live in, doesn't care and everyone has "the right" to be hateful, the sad part is, that everyone preaches about how "we have our right" but if you have the right to speak, why make it hateful. Sure you don't agree with gays, but why worry about it, is the real question? What impact does it have on your sexuality? Having an opinion, hating someone and invading/protesting/debating on someone's life is another. So people can yell freedom of speech all day long, but no one is forcing you to be gay or trying to convince you that it's right, so why care? I don't like sweet potatoes, but I don't walk around protesting against how wrong and nasty it is to people who enjoy them. Why? No one is forcing me to eat them. I have an opinion on it yes, and if asked I will express it, but to take it far enough to go around yelling about it. No thanks. What would that solve? Nothing. I'd just look like a total idiot protesting something that isn't being forced on me. No one is forcing anyone to "support" gays. People mostly want the right to be left alone. Something is wrong when you have the "right" to say or do horrible things, but you don't have the right to marriage or privacy. Right to an opinion, fine. Right to be hateful, especially through actions, sad. (AND I SAY "YOU" a lot, not referring to the people commenting, speaking in a general sense) much love to all xoxo

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 6:15am
  69. *that's not to say though, that all gay people are saints and do nothing wrong. It's been bad on the other side too.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 6:19am
  70. Daniel, there's a difference between giving an opinion, and spreading bigotry. The homosexual community already has a problem with suicide and mental struggles due to homophobia from the people around them. How do you think this will make them feel when they see that homophobic banner when taking the bus? It could be the last nail in the coffin. Ex-gay ministries cause so much psychological damage to their victims. By giving out information of ex-gay sources, they are putting innocent people at risk. People who are already suffering with self hatred may be tempted to contact them.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 11:21am
  71. Going back in the closet does not make you ex-gay. It only makes you a self hating ass.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:33am
  72. What à shame

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:33am
  73. Start another campaign…PROVE IT with valid scientific evidence. Good luck on that…

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:34am
  74. Honestly, this story sickens me…….ex-gay therapy has been proven to be harmful not helpful. Not ok. That’s why they shouldn’t be allowed to advertise

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:35am
  75. So has drinking, fast food, soda and a billion other things far more people are likely to use daily. Want to ban those as well. Why just bubble wrap the world while you are at it

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:00am
  76. Daniel, your analogy lacks the factor of life between a human and drinking, fast food, soda, etc. Also you need to take into context what you are actually comparing. Fast food, soda, and drinking are pleasures to people that repeatedly ingest those items and yes, it's not good for them... However, that is something that actually IS reversible, or able to be ceased. Being treated to be "cured" is not something that has ever worked for anyone, not one single person. Those who claimed that it did work have eventually admitted to only have been suppressed into saying so. Science, biological studies and medical studies have proved that being gay is indeed not a choice, just like being straight is NOT a choice. If you want to dismiss that point of my argument, then I suggest that if you are straight, try to be gay for a year and see how it turns out for you. If you are gay, try to be straight and see how THAT turns out for you. The evidence in science is irrefutable.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:25am
  77. Bubble wrap no, but like I said, you wanna preach hatred do it in your church, not in public, I don't walk into your church and tell you what to do

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:28am
  78. First of all Steven guess what then you just proved that exgay therapy while harmful IS reversible damage. So what is you point again? What makes it any different then all the other dangerous and crappy items people use and advertise daily? What gives you the right to ban it again? Hey Sabrina you sound just like Putin when he talks about gay people.........

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:33am
  79. Daniel you are utterly insane to say that, I'm not saying they can't have their beliefs, not saying they can't be hateful, I'm just saying WE don't wanna hear it!

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:35am
  80. And Putin is saying he just doesnt want to see gay people in public, not that they cannot be gay...... where are you different? Its just a matter on what side you believe to be right

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:39am
  81. He's going to put them in jail and torture them. That's where I am different

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:43am
  82. I never said religious people that feel like ex gay therapy people feel can't feel the way they do, I'm just saying in has NO PLACE IN A FREE SOCIETY

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:45am
  83. Daniel Lazzara , you can't drink until you're 21(in the US) And gay therapy does nothing more than make people feel ashamed and hate themselves. If your an adult, than sure, put yourself through that. But if your a kid, your parents shouldn't force that on you. And by the way, parents can loose custody of their kids, if their kids are unhealthy and not eating right.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:50am
  84. Just like Putin says gays have no place in Russian society. Again please tell me how you are different? Larry I am pretty much with you. If ANYONE doesnt want to go to this therapy I believe it is wrong to make them. See my comments about living free of force.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:53am
  85. But, I never said they can't be, they just can't force their beliefs on others. There are plenty of churchgoers that support that kind of thing. Let them do it in their own churches, that's the audience they are aiming for anyways

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:57am
  86. You are trying to suppress there ability to voice what they believe in public and this is not one ounce different then Putin or others that wish to suppress various speech they do not like from the public forum.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:05am
  87. Putin isn't suppressing speech, he's taking people off the streets imprisoning them, ostracizing them and torturing them. 100% difference

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:26am
  88. And what do you think happens if you break a "hate speech" laws? You oh wait go to court and pay a fine and if you refuse the fine where do you go? No different.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:28am
  89. So, you're saying if your family saw these ads, and decided you would go, that's ok, because this company has the right to advertise their hate?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:52am
  90. Sabrina, it doesn't matter whether the content is scientifically based or not. It's their right to express their beliefs, as hurtful as they are.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 3:04am
  91. Umm yea I am not about to go because they say so. As I said repeatedly in case you missed it I am against force against others plain and simple.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 3:05am
  92. What if they disowned you unless you did it

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 3:07am
  93. The point of free speech is exactly that... free speech. The content is mostly irrelevant. I don't see, from an American legal standpoint, how this ban would hold water in court. England is different though.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 3:07am
  94. Easy they disown me. People accept me or they dont. If you are not strong enough to stand up for what you feel is wrong or harmful life will screw you eventually any how.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 3:09am
  95. No such thing as EX GAY. Sad people fool themselves,or let others fool them…

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:38am
  96. Surely Stonewall copyrighted their ad campaign. The sick fuck “therapists” should be banned on the grounds of copyright infringement if nothing else.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:39am
  97. the christianist zealots are apparently unable to come up with any original ideas...that must be why they are always plagiarizing from others...

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 11:23am
  98. Are people really that sensitive? Money out of idiots’ pockets is a good thing. Get over it.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:41am
  99. some are easily influenced or so desperate they'll actually believe this tripe. that's bad

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:57am
  100. So if we put a add up saying all “Christian and Catholic Priests are Pedophiles” is that free speech or hate speech.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:42am
  101. Free speech just like the westbarrow turds. Dont have to like them to support there right to be assholes. However it does give us the same right

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:47am
  102. I have a question I hope someone has an answer so first let me tell you I am an atheist and 100% PRO LGBT! !! OK here’s my question can they start making anti lgbt billboards and adds legally??? I see that atheists and sataniats can now put up statues and adds like the Oklahoma thing that’s been going on. So even though it’s wrong to hate and judge people how are anti lgbt adds diffrent? I hope the answer is no because it’s people they would be hating on and not a BELIEF system. Please don’t get angry at my question I just am wondering: D

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:42am
  103. religion and sexuality are very different things. There is legitimate debate over religion. Being LGBT, not under your control and there's nothing wrong with it. And this is a fact.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:00am
  104. Question is, who in their congregation said this? Stonewall made the statement that there are gay people, get over it. The church as an organisation is saying it's ex gay... now where's the sense in that? And if they said "There are ex gays, here's how to become one." they would be supporting harmful practices disguised as therapies.

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:15am
  105. My saying is God made me or I would not be here and billions of us the same

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:48am
  106. What’s freedom of expression/view/thought

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:50am
  107. They want war!

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:54am
  108. Brent Malloy thanks for replying I agree I just hope it dosent escalate to that point where the nut jobs make it legal that would be the point where I would finally agree the end of the world is near

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:03am
  109. as for the trademark infringement. all depends on if stonewall made it a trademark, i believe, which i doubt they did. plus i think there may be something that allows them to ‘copy’. i can’t think what it’s called atm, but it would be similar to doing a parody of something. hope that makes sense!

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:03am
  110. Some people are lying to themselves…sad over it :(

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:05am
  111. Actually Daniel, hate speech is illegal in the UK. And an advertising campaign that promotes the idea that being gay is unnatural and can be fixed sounds quite hateful to me.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:17am
  112. Daniel, it’s simple, really. One statement is hateful and harmful, the other is not. It’s really ok to ask them to stfu.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:19am
  113. As a proud gay man, I think both billboards are besides the point. If someone thinks that they can “cure” sexuality, they must be referring to something other than I do when I call something “sexual”. That being said, maybe 1 out of a 1000 people can be “cured” because they have different “sexual” definitions. So the faith people don’t use the same definitions as the science people because they never discuss this stuff in the same way.. I go with the science approach personally. Sheesh!

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:19am
  114. Peter Thurston the churches here in my state are trying to teach parents how to train kids to not be gay it’s so stupid I hate those people you can’t ungay a kid but you can emotionally scar them :(

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:21am
  115. It’s actually just mental abuse masquerading as a cure. There’s no such thing as “post gay”

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:30am
  116. What embarasting, anyone Gay wanna get up there

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:36am
  117. Simple question, kids, if the therapy is so effective why do they need ads? I would think that gays who want to choose to be straight would be seeking this out. If you are gay you realize it isn’t a choice. I can’t choose to be straight and these types of organizations simply helped repressed homosexuals, bigots, religious nuts (some of whom are self loathing gays), and “concerned” (read: ashamed) family members feel better about themselves. Sad, really. Keep trying to pray the gay away and I’ll continue to live my life.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 1:52am
  118. The work of religitards and really evil ones at that. Nice to see that religion is still getting a pass for hate, ignorance and evil. Not much changing in 2000 years for them.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:04am
  119. I really hate the term “ex gay.” Gay isn’t a choice, you can’t choose what you find attractive. Cause if you did, than wouldn’t that mean crushes would exist. Cause people could just stop being attracted to them. Or when a person is still attracted to their ex. they can simply not be attracted to them. So yea, if sexuality was a choice. than dating, breakups,relationships, and friends with benefits, would be so much easier to handle.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:08am
  120. can’t we all just get along &…. ban religion?

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:26am
  121. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3h6es6zh1c How I view most of the people that are posting right now….

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:40am
  122. Well, you can’t have freedom of speech for one but not the other.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:56am
  123. Even if orientation could be changed, why is it such a bad thing that anyone would want it to change?

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 2:57am
  124. Most people aren’t aware that Brits don’t have the same free speech guarantees we have in the U.S. Here, it’s okay to be desperate, manipulative, stupid, a liar and a phony, and say so like these ex-gay people do.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 3:21am
  125. “NOT GAY! EX-GAY, POST-GAY, BRAINWASHED AND PROUD. GET OVER IT!”

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 4:03am
  126. William Blais

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 4:22am
  127. Good! They are making themselves look stupid!

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 4:34am
  128. I would love it if just for once people started thinking for themselves rather than letting their religion dictate their daily lives. Oh and by the way, you can’t just become straight. Sure you can suppress your feelings but they will always find a way of coming out. I’m just so happy that we’re starting to criminalize Sexual Orientation Change Therapy here in New England. It’s a horrible process of quilting vulnerable people into thinking that the way they love isn’t right and can cause serious emotional and physical harm. And in some cases the victim of these efforts commit suicide because in the end they realize that they’re still gay despite their efforts of changing and the added benefit of being constantly faced against prejudice. In truth these conversion therapies have absolutely no scientific standing and nothing but a bunch of bull.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 5:17am
  129. If you cannot ban that ridiculous bronze age bullshit, then you cannot ban the pro-gay ones (Which I believe, ironically enough, they tried to do).

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 5:20am
  130. That sign make no sense

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 6:07am
  131. Love or Fear and on and on it goes…

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 6:35am
  132. people have the right to say and think what they want. However ignorant it may be.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 7:04am
  133. I think englind should lead by example and and show its not a fad thing like america seems to tout lately to me thay are making it into a fad thing something this movement is not about its about equality for all regardless of seexuality

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 7:58am
  134. Its about not haveing to live in fear of ones life because of how outhers think .or sum nutjob religioso is spouting its proof in russia. And around the world over thies types of hate crimes must come to an end

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 8:01am
  135. Some people are bigoted. Get over it! (and just ignore them)

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 9:05am
  136. Couldn't we just shoot bigots instead of playing nice with them?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 9:34am
  137. Like the nazi's did with anyone they didn't like?

Replied on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 11:16am
  138. Thankfully there is national legislation passing through parliament in the UK which will ban so called “gay cures” and advertising them, with a bit of luck this will become law this year – and make this whole thing rathet moot.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 9:37am
  139. Sexuality advice coming from people who know nothing about about it!…..

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 11:42am
  140. Free speech doesn’t mean you can yell “fire” in a crowded theater in the middle of the show. Some speech is intended to incite violence or criminal activity against the target group.

Bisexuals often have the option of being gay the ex-gay. Good for them, if that’s what they want. Conservatives often use these special cases as justification for “treatments” that are often simply torture. These are seen as “cures” for being gay or transsexual. More often it leads to suicide, PTSD, drug addiction, and psychosis.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 11:43am
  141. This group not be allowed to push their hatred on public buses or anywhere. Acceptance, tolerance, love and peace is what we should be promoting.

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 11:47am
  142. Just want all peoples to have equal rights!

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 12:37pm