Hong Kong

Lesbian appeals to tycoon dad over multi-million dollar dowry offer

"Dear Daddy, you must accept I’m a lesbian."
Wednesday, January 29, 2014

HONG KONG — The lesbian daughter of a flamboyant Hong Kong tycoon who publicly offered millions of dollars to any man who could woo her into marriage appealed to her father in an open letter published Wednesday to accept her for who she is.

South Chin Morning PostGigi (left) and Cecil Chao

South Chin Morning Post
Gigi (left) and Cecil Chao

Cecil Chao made world headlines in 2012 when he tried to find a man who could successfully win his daughter, Gigi Chao, away from her partner by offering 500 million Hong Kong dollars ($65 million), an offer that a Malaysian newspaper who interviewed him last week said he has doubled.

In a letter to her father published Wednesday by two Hong Kong newspapers, Gigi Chao said she knows it’s “difficult for you to understand, let alone accept” how she could be romantically attracted to a woman.

The tycoon made his offer after learning that his daughter had eloped with her partner, Sean Eav, to France, where they had a church blessing. While Hong Kong decriminalized homosexuality in 1991, it does not legally recognize same-sex marriage.

Gigi Chao, 34, added that “it would mean the world to me if you could just not be so terrified of her, and treat her like a normal, dignified human being.” She confirmed to the AP that she wrote the letter.

She added, “I will always forgive you for thinking the way you do, because I know you think you are acting in my best interests.”

Sacha Baron Cohen, the actor behind “Borat,” is reportedly working on a movie inspired by the tycoon’s proposal, according to Hollywood trade publications.

Cecil Chao, who made his fortune as a Hong Kong property developer, has a reputation for being a playboy with a love for Rolls-Royces. He once claimed to have had 10,000 girlfriends but has never married. Gigi Chao is one of his three children by three different women.

The South China Morning Post, one of the newspapers that published the letter, reported last week that since her father went public with his offer, she has received “strange” phone calls from would-be suitors, and that most open by saying, “I want to be a billionaire!”

© 2014, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: ,

Filed under: Asia

1. I’m gay and would marry your daughter, but I wouldn’t hold her against her feelings for a women. And I wouldn’t stop my feelings for a man. I would not want your dirty money if you cannot allow your daughter to be happy with another woman.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 3:56pm
  2. How do I contact him ? I’ll marry her no bother for $128 million , lol

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 3:57pm
  3. Sad

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 3:59pm
  4. He doesn’t love his daughter because he has no respect for her or her feelings. He loves his money bottom line….ignorance

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:03pm
  5. Hear hear!!!

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 8:13pm
  6. so it’s cool that he’s a man-whore, but not that she’s in love with a woman…arrogant POS

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:09pm
  7. Money can’t buy everything.It can’t buy true love.She’s a human not a toy.Don’t price her. :(

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:19pm
  8. Strangers have more respect for his daughter and her honesty than he does. So much for his bid to win in the court of public opinion.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:26pm
  9. he’s trying to do the best for his daughter, he doesn’t know his daughter is trying to love him and stay with her pain . Money so important, so you should take your money and put it on some other beautiful things :3 don’t waste your time and money

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 4:27pm
  10. Why doesn’t she find some nice gay man, marry each other and use the other as a beard, share the massive amount of money, and then Persue real relationships on the side?

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 5:08pm
  11. Why should she compromise her own beliefs and happiness?? Why is it up to her to change? Her father's opinion is the problem, not her.

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 7:22pm
  12. Who said she was changing... two people act as beards for each other, families are happy, and they both can peruse their own happiness unimpeded.

Replied on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 8:12pm
  13. I think you're missing my point, Why should she marry a man AT ALL? If her father doesn't like how she is, then tough. She shouldn't do the 'straight' thing by marrying a man just to get daddy's approval.

Replied on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 9:53am
  14. Sounds alot like the last Wolverine movie.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 5:20pm
  15. I remember seeing a news story or something on this awhile ago..crazy

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 5:23pm
  16. He’s only concerned about his own happiness and not hers.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 5:28pm
  17. she’s hot. Tell her to call me.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 5:52pm
  18. Marrying a man, gay or not, I feel would mock us all. Smh ..

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 6:15pm
  19. Pisses me off! How inhumane can u get! I feel bad for her, I cannot imagine goin thru that.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 7:13pm
  20. Well, good for her. A good contrast to Dick Cheney’s lesbian daughter, who basically seems to have taken the money to shut up.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 7:49pm
  21. may need to think about leaving china and disown her “parent”

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 8:03pm
  22. So sad that tradition has superseded this father’s love for his daughter. Maybe once he realizes he’s lost her, he might stop to think.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 9:25pm
  23. we will both marry her…shame on you.

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 10:00pm
  24. Hell, I would marry her, give her all of her dad’s money and then let her divorce me… win win

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 11:07pm
  25. He has no respect for women if he has had 10,000 girlfriends and never married any of the women he has children by. What a LOSER!

Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 11:24pm
  26. Daddy needs to leave her alone!

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 12:28am
  27. He needs to just give her the money. Accept her as she is or he doesnt love her. She should walk away. He is a slut anyway so why should it matter to him who she is with?

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 12:57am
  28. Wow, she is beautiful and clearly gets her looks from her father. I hope he will come around and accept his daughter for who she is. It could be a beautiful relationship.

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 1:20am
  29. I will take that Money Thanks sir! Not what you expected but I did woo her!

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 1:29am
  30. I’ll marry her………I’m a hard working single plumber, make good money,, she’s cute, would love to have a woman support me in the manner I’d like to become accustomed to……but alas, I’m over 40 and a lesbian..if Daddy ever gets over it,, I’d treat her like a queen………… :)

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 3:09am
  31. its not about his money.. sounds like he’d give it all up to see his family follow in his misguided old fashioned traditional values…we are getting there, but it is still going to have to take a lot of sons and daughters to teach them how to really love and most of all not be taught or feel they should hate themselves…………..

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 3:14am
  32. His poor daughter. He does not or won’t believe how much he is damagimg his daughter. I hope men are smart enough to refuse his money!

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 3:26am
  33. If he really loved his daughter he would except her the way she is and for who she loves.

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 4:12am
  34. quick! someone find a gay man, if shes forced to marry a man, make him gay, so they can protect each other while they find their real true loves.

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 4:22am
  35. She should get married to a nice gay boy and they can split the money and get divorced….take the twunt for all he’s worth…

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 4:54am
  36. I’ll marry her and we can use the money to donate to gay charities. Then we’ll have double dates together to piss off the old man.

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 4:57am