Texas

Houston mayor fires back at critics over her same-sex marriage: ‘Get over it!’

“You don’t commit 23 years of your life to someone to make a political statement."
Wednesday, January 22, 2014

HOUSTON — Houston mayor Annise Parker is firing back at Republicans who say her marriage to longtime partner last week was politically motivated.

Kathy Hubbard (left) and Annise Parker, at their wedding ceremony on Jan. 16, 2014.

Last week, Parker married Kathy Hubbard, her partner of 23 years, in Palm Springs, Calif. But within hours of the nuptials, some Republican leaders in Texas blasted Parker by questioning her motives behind their marriage, reported KHOU-TV.

“I am not shocked that Mayor Parker decided to elope to California for a marriage that is unconstitutional in Texas,” said State Sen. Dan Patrick, a conservative talk radio host fighting a tough GOP primary campaign for lieutenant governor. “This is obviously part of a larger strategy of hers to turn Texas into California.”

And Harris County GOP Chairman Jared Woodfill accused Parker of “trying to bring California values to Texas.”

But Parker wasn’t having the criticism: She said Patrick “wants to make the gay community a whipping boy” in his political campaign, and that “Woodfill is a little like a windup doll … I say something and he goes on TV and says this is something I planned. It’s part of my grand agenda to promote gay rights.”

“You don’t commit 23 years of your life to someone to make a political statement,” said Parker. “I took four days off. I had to leave my home state and make a little wedge of time to marry the woman I love. They can get over it.”

KHOU-TV has more:

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Texas, [ Trending ]

1. Seriously!! it is no one’s fucking God damn business but yours and your wife. People need to mind their own fucking business. Is her getting married going to give you cancer or some shit? NO it’s not so shut the fuck up because it affects you in no way shape or fucking form

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:35pm
  2. yep they should suck it up and move on already, tell ‘em Madam Mayor

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:35pm
  3. That’s how it’s done.

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:35pm
  4. Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:36pm
  5. Her response was fantastic! We’ll said!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:37pm
  6. They look happy to gather, that’s all that matters

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:39pm
  7. Seriously! Just because they are hateful and always have an agenda doesn’t me we do,and I’m proud of her and she looks so happy so they can go fuck themselves.

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:39pm
  8. yeah thats right fuck em if they dont like it

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:40pm
  9. Funny that republicans think they have morals and values. I am still waiting to meet 1 just 1 republican that actually has some.

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:40pm
  10. Yep they drink, lie, curse, sleep around and hide it all under the banner of religion.

Replied on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:08pm
  11. Texas will be blue soon.

Replied on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:15pm
  12. yep they need to get over it

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:41pm
  13. Get over it! the perfect response……

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:41pm
  14. You get it girl!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:42pm
  15. Let her do her..geesh…find sumthg else to whine about like poverty… #StudStyleProductions

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:42pm
  16. U go girl! Fire up the pistons and let em have it!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:43pm
  17. Give em hell Annise! Love you and glad I voted for you in all 3 of your elections. Keep making Houston proud! :)

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:44pm
  18. Way to go mayor Parker!!! Great response!! Proud of you and Kathy and congrats!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:45pm
  19. Isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black. I don’t know a republican who does say or do what every to further the sadistic agenda that the republicans spew.

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:46pm
  20. Come on, Texas! It’s possible :)

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:46pm
  21. Congratulations on your marriage, ladies!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:51pm
  22. 23 years is definitely not a political statement! Lol Congratulations on your marriage Mrs. Parker!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:52pm
  23. It saddens me and blows my mind that some people are still so in denial of the validity of homosexuality that they think someone would marry the person they love for political purposes. I…what?! You tell ‘em, Madam Mayor. :)

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:53pm
  24. I can’t believe they would dare to say something like that!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:55pm
  25. You tell those whiny punks, Annise! Way to go! So sick of the bigoted republicans. Are they protesting their own marriages when they had premarital sex (a sin)? Well then shut the hell up.

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:55pm
  26. Tex Ass. Showing its true colours

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:57pm
  27. Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:59pm
  28. Well said! Get over it! It’s no one’s business who she married, all that matters is they are HAPPY. Which is a constitutional right… to be HAPPY.

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:01pm
  29. That’s my mayor! :-)

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:02pm
  30. Couldn’t have said it better myself

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:08pm
  31. Will Texas become legal for same sex marriage?

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:08pm
  32. Born and raised in Texas. Can’t stand it here! I had to go to New York to marry my wife. Just proves that all the GOP males here are steers…..NO BALLS! UGH…calgon, take me to a state were reason prevails!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:09pm
  33. Well said Mayor Parker.

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:20pm
  34. dont just “like” I love it!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:31pm
  35. Congrats to the happy couple!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:45pm
  36. Sincere congrats! You look so pretty and I am proud to see that happening in Texas. As a German, my understanding of Texas used to be primarily associated with fake Cowboyism, obesity and badly shaped jeans. What I see here is so much better than that. Keep on rocking!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:58pm
  37. That’s right! GET OVER IT. She can choose to live her life with whoever she wants. A woman, man, black, white, old, young. Love is LOVE!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 8:02pm
  38. I’m so proud that she’s my mayor! When my news channel up it up on their fb page that she got married i saw such horrible hateful comments it literally infuriated me. I’m glad she stood up for herself and her wife. Congrats!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 8:10pm
  39. only committed together for 23 years, well this was just a publicity stunt, 23 years just isn’t enough time together, for it not to be a stunt

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 8:11pm
  40. LOL! Girl, better let em know! They look so happy :-)

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 8:12pm
  41. Good job, Annise!

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 8:17pm
  42. While it’s her business to fly to California to get married, the rest of the community in Houston is still unable to get married. I would have been more impressed to hear of her not getting married to stand in unity and support with the people of Houston and fighting to be able to get married in her home state.

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 8:38pm