Champion Brazilian diver Ian Matos comes out as gay

Monday, January 13, 2014
Ian Matos

Ian Matos

Champion Brazilian diver Ian Matos has come out publicly as gay in an interview with the newspaper Correio.

“From a young age, I knew I was gay, but it was here that I got to live my sexuality,” said Matos.

Matos, 24, said that although a friend advised him to stay closeted until after the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janiero, he did not want to withstand the the pressure of hiding boyfriends, avoiding gay parties and not being himself.

He said he was inspired by British diver Tom Daley, who had recently announced he was in a relationship with another man, and that he hopes coming out wouldn’t affect his future in the sport or any possible sponsorships.

“I don’t think it will hinder me, but I can’t just think that the world agrees with me,” he said.

Matos, originally from Pennsylvania, relocated to Brazil to pursue his diving career and now resides in Rio.

He was the Brazilian 3-meter champion in 2013 and won a bronze medal in 2012 during an event in the U.S, according to Outsports.com.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life

1. that’s great

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:17am
  2. That’s great. Glad he found the courage to come out. He is a pretty cute guy. Never hide who you are. I hope to continue to see more people come out. :)

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:20am
  3. About time he comes out. When your big like me you notice a gay male when you see one

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:20am
  4. so many cute guys coming out lately

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:22am
  5. Oh gr8t! Another gorgeous man taken away from all us women :(

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:25am
  6. Gracias, Ian!!

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:29am
  7. So homosexuality is something to praise now? Sad reality is we have people like you guys who see nothing wrong with homosexuals. If ur living alternative lifestyles then put away all electronics with male and female parts….stick your USB charger in another USB charger, or in the headphone jack if u believe in alternative lifestyles.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:34am
  8. Did you just compare alternative sexualities to electronics? Wow. Incredible! [Not in a good way]. It doesn't matter what you think, in the Western world it's becoming an accepted norm.

Replied on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:59am
  9. So... you have an issue with my male to male cable, that has a male end on both ends, or my female female adapter for my audio cables?

Replied on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:44am
  10. With the hatred and violence often visited upon such people, yes, the courage to admit one's differences is a remarkable and admirable thing.

Replied on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 8:59am
  11. Good for him, I wish him nothing but happiness .

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:51am
  12. so many coming out…. yet im still single.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:00am
  13. Good for you Ian. You do not need to live in the shadows.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:12am
  14. Shocked.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:25am
  15. BRAVO FOR HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:35am
  16. Way to go!

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:37am
  17. The downfall of man is our brain. We have to be in search of perfection. Survival is the game of life and your family’s bloodline ends with you. I’m sure if your great grandfather had known before hand that his bloodline would definitely cease because of your choice to be a homosexual he probably would have fathered children with a different woman in hopes he doesn’t strike out twice. You guys don’t have the basic instinct to survive. But you want to be called regular humans? Where they do that at. G-d’s plan was for man and woman to procreate, not for same sexes to enjoy sex withouth the benefit of procreation. Sodom and gammorah was burnt to a crisp because of homosexuality, come on man a twink came on to an angel. Don’t get me started on Homo Christians. It’s like a pedophile wanting to be a kindergarten teacher. It can’t happen..lol

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:47am
  18. your downfall is your brain, that's for sure

Replied on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 3:23am
  19. "Survival is the game of life and your family's bloodline ends with you." My father's bloodline will just have to continue in spirit through the legacy I leave behind. I am saddened that you reduce the meaning of life to such a trifling matter as "have offspring," however. "I'm sure if your great grandfather had known before hand that his bloodline would definitely cease because of your choice to be a homosexual he probably would have fathered children with a different woman in hopes he doesn't strike out twice." Advocating adultery? "G-d's plan was for man and woman to procreate, not for same sexes to enjoy sex withouth the benefit of procreation." I suppose the post-menopausal women and the infertile are doomed to lives of celibacy. Sigh. "Sodom and gammorah was burnt to a crisp because of homosexuality, come on man a twink came on to an angel. " Actually it was a mob wanting to rape an angel, which isn't the same thing at all. Though when in doubt, let us consult the Bible: "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, surfeit of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty, and did abominable things before me; therefore I removed them, when I saw it." - Ezekiel 16:49-50 You might recognize some of these concepts as being the basis for which mankind will be judged according to Matthew 25:31-46. "Don't get me started on Homo Christians. It's like a pedophile wanting to be a kindergarten teacher. It can't happen..lol" I accept that you have read Romans 1 quite thoroughly. I suggest you have a good long read of Romans 14.

Replied on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 8:56am
  20. Lol theres no issue….I’m saying if ur gonna butt fuck then butt fuck all the way. Then maybe you’ll learn its not the right way to do things.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:50am
  21. Fact: Not all homosexuals engage in anal sex. Fact: Some heterosexuals engage in anal sex.

Replied on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 8:59am
  22. Kenneth Woodside go crawl back under your bridge…Troll

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 3:18am
  23. come on “some people are gay” Get over it….

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 3:33am
  24. Kenneth woodside if you are homophobic why are you following a lgbtq Facebook page. Don’t drag others down with you please. Your idea that homosexuals can’t believe in God is ridiculous, of course they can! Not loving thy neighbor is a sin.. And we in todays society cannot go a day without seeing someone hurting their fellow neighbor. I hope God can teach you understanding for others. Why don’t you concern yourself with poverty or other negative aspects we see everyday that actually bring a negative side to this world. Loving the same sex is not hurting you or anyone else.

Thank you.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 3:37am
  25. Welcome brother!

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 3:49am
  26. Being gay isn’t just what one does in bed. If I never have sex again I will still be 100% gay, just the way God made me.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 4:08am
  27. Give ‘em hell baby and be happy!!!! xo

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 4:23am
  28. So Kenneth Woodside your telling me I can’t believe in my God/our God or Jesus Christ and be gay. Fortunately for me I don’t believe you. I believe in my faith and I know God loves me. Its people like you that push people away. God is very personal and he is part of every living thing and loves everyone of his children unconditionally. Your referance to pedophiles and kindergarden teachers is offense. And meant to hurt the LGBTQ community. As for procreating, many straight couples choose to not have kids or they just plan can’t because of Gods personal design for them. Does that mean they can’t be Christians too? Think and try using both sides of your brain instead of just the side you where programmed with. God created the perfect universe, and yes that includes Gay people too

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 4:39am
  29. congrats Ian

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 9:49am
  30. He is living in Brazil, he has no fear about anything negative happening to him in the USA.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 10:02am
  31. And he’s hot

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 10:58am
  32. Congrats.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 12:00pm
  33. I never said anything about not loving…nor did I say you can’t seek G-d. You have to understand that when heathens hear the word its like fighting words. They get all defensive. This is all I’m saying(I copied from a certain Christian website. Sexual Orientation is not a Sin There is a tendency to confuse homosexual tendencies and feelings with acts of homosexual intercourse because the English word “homosexuality” is often used to describe both.

However, regardless of how we interpret the Bible’s teachings about homosexual acts, it is important to note that the Bible does not condemn people for having homosexual tendencies. It is certain actions that are prohibited by Bible teachings, not tendencies or feelings.

A boy or girl who discovers homosexual feelings should realize that, like other interests and feelings, it may be only a passing phase that will fade away in time. Meanwhile, he or she should avoid becoming obsessed with the feelings or indulging in any kind of sexual activity.

A homosexual Christian man or woman is presented with great challenges, and great strength is often achieved by learning to deal with great challenges. Perhaps God has some special mission in mind for that person that is best accomplished outside the restrictions imposed by traditional marriage and family duties.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 12:55pm
  34. The bible teaches of many types of love. You guys call brotherly love erotic love(eros). Lol its amazing how people interpret words to become more favourable to them.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 12:59pm
  35. :)

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:33pm
  36. Welcome to the family…..be proud..

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 1:45pm
  37. Was it that big of a “surprise”…?

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 2:23pm