Baltimore Ravens’ Torrey Smith: ‘Look at this queen’ remark not homophobic

Friday, January 3, 2014
span>NFLTorrey Smith

NFL
Torrey Smith

Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith is catching heat for posting an alleged anti-gay slur on his Twitter and Instagram accounts Friday, but insists the remark was not homophobic.

Next to an Instagram photo of an unidentified man wearing pink socks (below), Smith posted: “Look at this queen.” He followed up with a Twitter post, linking back to the same Instagram photo.

Instagram

Instagram

The posts were first reported by TMZ.com, and in response, Smith is standing his ground.

“The things these gossip sites do to get attention smh,” he later tweeted. “I wasn’t being offensive nor am I homophobic not apologizing or taking it down.”

Smith’s remarks come just one day after former Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe alleged that he was fired from because of his outspoken support of marriage equality, and amid ongoing perception of widespread homophobia among NFL players and coaches.

To date, no active NFL player has ever come out as gay.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. it’s free speech who cares what he say’s on his twitter

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:48pm
  2. Is the person in fact a Queen? Or just a Princess? Diva? Do we know anything about Torrey Smith’s personal life to where we can judge his intent?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:49pm
  3. Fuck the Ravens anyway.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:49pm
  4. But if he was called the “N” word, it would be hate speech?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:50pm
  5. Lol really every little thing is under a microscope now? That person is a big nelly queen with pink socks on

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:51pm
  6. I agree with Daniel. Its really not all that important. All this over-sensitivity is very counter-productive and makes the rest of us look bad.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:51pm
  7. Oh, it makes him such a man with his pretty braids and all.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:51pm
  8. Who is he? Doh! Wasting time on people who are stupid and want to be seen or heard for stupid comments. He might be the “closet queen” homself. The “big-brother-man-ego” that’s never helpful to those amongst them. He’s just another idiot!

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:52pm
  9. Pick your battles people, this is pretty mellow. If you go around fighting everyone on everything, you will lose.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:52pm
  10. wrong is wrong. mellow or not.

Replied on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:08pm
  11. in the grand scheme of things, i don't think this is important. it may be indicative of how prevalent and pervasive homophobia is (and actually misogyny , because the very worst thing for a guy to be is femme) but i don't think this guy meant it to be offensive .

Replied on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:24pm
  12. Maybe he didn't, Pamela, but we must let him know that it was offensive, even unintentionally. Educating & informing people is the best way to fight anti-gay expressions.

Replied on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:14pm
  13. Not according to me, Matthew. I've been winning them all.

Replied on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:16pm
  14. fine carolyn, but i think we have to maintain a sense of humor and not be so oversensitive that we lose people. i do think we have to pick our battles.

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 1:27am
  15. Pamela it's not OK. And he should know it.

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 2:31am
  16. When did it become okay to be just mildly offensive?

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:44am
  17. And who cares what makes one a “man”?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:52pm
  18. Thats whats wrong with allot of people, they are to sensitive. It was a joke, get over it. No one, i dont care who you are can please everyone so to someone what you post will be offence. I am glad he isnt take it down.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:53pm
  19. I’m gay & a football fan. Gay people call people queens all the time but when a straight person says it doesn’t go over well. I guess it’s like the word n***** . Only certain people can use certain word?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:55pm
  20. i'm beyond being a queen. i passed gay and collected $200. not particularly offended by this. i have bigger fish to fry.

Replied on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:26pm
  21. I hear that, me and my best friend call each other faggots all the time and we laugh about it. But I will say there is a different between joking around and trying to be a hurtful ass and that's usually how some straight people would use the word. Either way you wont be seeing me crying over it, I would probably just kick their ass is all. Now as for the term "queen" that is a mild term that should hardly be fought over, it's not even offensive.

Replied on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:36pm
  22. America is becoming too sensitive! Gay people have tougher skin than getting offended over every derogatory term. Queen hasn’t been monopolized by the gay community, it’s not a bad word!!!

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:55pm
  23. I’m gay and i call people faggots, cocksuckers, and queens all the time. Its called a joke people. Change out your wet panties and move on. And even if he wasn’t joking, who cares? Are you such a damaged child that every little every little word you’re guilty of using is said out loud has to hurt you this badly. Wtf happened to this page?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:58pm
  24. “How dare you think I’m homophobic for ridiculing someone’s masculinity and demeaning them with anti-gay insults!”

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:59pm
  25. "anti-gay insults"? Apparently YOU see far more that most people...

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 10:21am
  26. Most people aren't paying attention. Have a great day!

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 9:07pm
  27. to me this story is a bunch of junk!! is it only okay for gay people to say “look at this queen” cause I say it all the time!! I see no problem with it at all!! wow o wow people calm yourselves!!

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:59pm
  28. We get worked up over some small things. Smh

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 8:59pm
  29. I too, am gay and don’t care about this guy using queen. Whoopdidoo. The media makes too big deal over non issues

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:00pm
  30. He who passively accepts evil is
    as much involved in it as he who
    helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts
    evil without protesting against it is
    really cooperating with it.
    ··· Martin Luther King, Jr.

There are a lot of ‘passive’ haters, bigots, and racists.
    It is a cop out to say, “you’re being too sensitive,”
    when you should be saying, “cut the crap and
    treat people with respect.”

Each of you who is tolerant of hate need to learn this:
    “Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice.” ··· Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Tell us, what definition WAS the using for the word ‘Queen’?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:02pm
  31. This is another media attempt to seperate people. I don’t fall for any of it and it doesn’t bother me one bit. Bitching about this solves NOTHING.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:02pm
  32. then when I call him a gig hope he doesn’t take it offensively

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:03pm
  33. People on this page talk shit about christians and people of the south constantly. Quit being over sensitive hypocrites

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:04pm
  34. Ah yes, because Christians, like queer people, have been systematically oppressed in the U.S. :|

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:06pm
  35. It is acceptable to be hateful, bigoted and racist when it is funny?
    THAT is bull shit.

I suppose DD and their ilk are just being funny.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:06pm
  36. Quite honestly I’ve only ever heard gay guys speak that way about each other. I’ve never heard a straight dude say “look at this queen” as if they know to say it that way. How do we know he’s not gay himself? People need to stop getting offended so easily and focus on important stuff.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:06pm
  37. yes it is.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:08pm
  38. I’m gay and I would NEVER allow anyone to refer to me in that manner and neither would my partner. Not ever. I find it offensive and I am far from alone.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:09pm
  39. I hear gay men using that term all of the time referring to other men and even themselves.

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:23am
  40. Tell you what, I hear my black friends call each other nigger. You want to try calling a black man that and see how well it goes over? Now you know how I feel about queen.

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:48am
  41. I'm a very masculine gay man, but performers have called me "girl" in the past. It can ONLY be offensive if we allow it to be...

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 10:23am
  42. I agree to a certain degree, but you have to realize that you can’t stop all of it

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:09pm
  43. Look at you, who are making excuses for this inappropriate behavior!
    No wonder A&E, Cracker Barrel and Under Armour buckled to the 9-11 million views of DD. Jim Crow is once again socially acceptable in America. Not just for blacks: for ALL non-white, non-conservative christian, non-right-wing people.

And herein are members of oppressed groups advocating hate.
    Wak up and smell your own shite!

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:12pm
  44. Emil, just because people attempt to oppress is no reason to act like a hypocritical sour grape. Martin Luther king never acted that way. Neither did ghandi. And their methods actually brought progress. This senseless bitching only halts progress. That’s the point im making. I’m not taking their side.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:14pm
  45. Matthew Nantel:
    So what, that you cannot stop all of it?
    Get up off your ass and stop what you can.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:14pm
  46. I can think of a few words we could call him and them say Oh that wasn’t meant to be racially motivated… Ass!!

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:14pm
  47. I don’t know about “homophobic” but he meant it in a derogatory way so it was still a really bad thing to say

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:15pm
  48. Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice. ··· Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Look at the number of COWARDS stating their opinions herein!

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:16pm
  49. This is fucking stupid. Calling him a homophobe for this is just ridiculous.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:17pm
  50. You people are just finding excuses to stoop to their level. Move on, nobody even knew who the fuck this guy was 20 minutes ago

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:18pm
  51. Ekle Son Durumlari Begen Hemen Duvarindayim B| <3 :) :D <3 B| Ekle <3 :) ? 29

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:20pm
  52. “look at that queen” seems odd that a “straight” man would even know such a phrase perhaps he isn’t that straight at all. Just an observation.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:20pm
  53. How can we acheive equality when our effots are wasted on this?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:21pm
  54. I would be more inclined to categorize this statement as misogynistic as opposed to homophobic… using the female gender to imply weakness in another man is unacceptable and detrimental to society as a whole.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:22pm
  55. totally agree. i think the basis of homophobia IS misogyny. i stated that myself separately. great minds....

Replied on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:27pm
  56. It's the mindset burned into athletes, coupled with all the slogans and catchphrases they use: "Go hard or go home." "We want to be on top." "Don't let them screw you." "Don't cry like a little girl." "Don't be a wimp." "Tough it out." "Be hard." ...and all the times coaches call players "ladies" during practice, like it's some derogatory motivational nickname. I understand players having to be tough, but they don't have to be brainless Neanderthals with misogyny at their core. That sort of thing gives them all the charm of roadkill.

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:26am
  57. Gillian, i have a job and hobbies. Defending homosexuals is great and i do it all the time. I can’t go looking for trouble

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:24pm
  58. When was being a female ruler bad again?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:25pm
  59. there is nothing here to be offended by. i agree those socks are queenie

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:26pm
  60. Those of you who accept this type of behavior:
    Go back into your closet, shut your eyes, and hide from reality.

NEVER, EVER ask for help when you feel you have been slighted for your LGBTIQ lifstyle, or your race, or for any other hate directed at you; or when your civil rights are violated. You are a disgrace to those who have fought for your rights.
    Remember your own words when you feel hurt, and to paraphrase those of you spewing tolerance, “live with it.”

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:28pm
  61. Tyler:
    You are taking their side by your passive acceptace
    of second, or third, class citizenry.
    It is hate speech, attack it. Before it becomes another DD.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:31pm
  62. loser

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:36pm
  63. where was the mirror he said it in ???

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:40pm
  64. Gillian, this has nothing to do with our rights. He has a right to say what he wants on his twitter. We don’t have to agree with it, he is subject to his own words. Just as we are subject to ours. This man can’t possibly take my freedoms just because he called somebody a queen. If he tried to take anything of mine he would deal with me himself. You can’t talk about rights when you’re so quick to trample on somebodies elses speech. No its not acceptable in a moral society. But its still his right to say it. Is that really hard to understand?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:44pm
  65. Honestly, I think this guy was just taken out of context. Not to mention, sometimes you just joke around with someone by calling them names. thin line from bullying, but this is seems like one of those moments, were he didn’t mean anything by it. i’ve heard worse from “good christian” people and so called “respectable citizens”.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:45pm
  66. I guess only gays are allowed to use these words then?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:46pm
  67. Really?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:49pm
  68. So when I painted my pinkies pink for breast cancer awareness month, was I gay for 31 days?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:49pm
  69. You missed the point Gillian. I don’t support what this man said nor do i even care who he is. It has no effect on my life personally. When i came out of the closet, what made you think i cared what other people thought about it? I don’t.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:50pm
  70. I do not find the use of the word “queens” offensive. I think people are over-reacting.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:51pm
  71. Big fucking deal

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:52pm
  72. Don Pablo:
    Was Paul Robertson taken out of context, too?
    Just where do you draw the line between hate and joking?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:52pm
  73. Damn, all this hypersensitivity shows a lack of intelligence.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 9:57pm
  74. that was just kind of funny not offensive

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:00pm
  75. Call it football mentality! You have to be a moron to like that game!

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:04pm
  76. To date, no active NFL player has ever come out as gay. Does this mean Tebow can come out now?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:06pm
  77. One of the best runners in the nfl is openly gay scott.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:08pm
  78. on the other hand, maybe the guy in the picture is actually his boyfriend and his comment had a tone of pride or showing him off.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:44pm
  79. hmm… How does he know what a queen is in the first place?

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 10:45pm
  80. Ok lgbtq lets get this right guys.as a gay man I have no problem with the word queen, now calling some one a fag yes theres a problem with that. the fag word to me is the same as the N word to them.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:13pm
  81. Duck dynasty hill backward ass billys.. Inappropriate.. Calling someone a queen .. Appropriate!!! When you say a word out of hate, disgust or what you think the bible says.. Not appropriate

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:15pm
  82. If it's meant in an insulting manner then it's not appropriate.

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:54am
  83. When is Facebook going to take down these anti- gay pages

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:17pm
  84. We gay people say look at her, or look at that queen when talking about guys. I dont take offense like someone saying those faggots, or f’n queers..

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:21pm
  85. He looks like a nice guy maybe he should get the benefit of the doubt

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:22pm
  86. Oh,please……. he is a football player. He hits people to feel masculine and strong. You expect something else from him??? Someone send him pink socks.

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:37pm
  87. Yeah, what he was was kinda stupid, but let’s not make a huge deal out of it…

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:38pm
  88. Dum ass!

Posted on Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:49pm
  89. Context? Its his Fucking Twitter Feed!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:02am
  90. Stupid Football Jock!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:04am
  91. Sorry but does everything that a person says nowadays have to always be homophobic or racist???? Geezus people need to stop getting all butthurt over every little thing.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:09am
  92. Quite honestly, I hear that statement made by drag queens in the Castro almost every week.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:17am
  93. Are you really equating that with this guy?

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:51am
  94. Looks like nice guy? Please! Football jocks do not deserve a pass!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:26am
  95. Gay boy himself is my feeling!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:36am
  96. Should know better…..stupid.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:41am
  97. HE HAS A OPINION–NOT THAT IT COUNTS

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 12:47am
  98. I love the shit out of when these homophobic pricks use derogatory language directed at or related to gays then say, “I’m not homophobic.” That’s like me saying, “Look at this ignorant nigger,” then saying I’m not racist. Let’s call it what it is.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 1:04am
  99. Don’t find the comment to be offensive, homophobic, or misogynistic! Suggesting that a person looks like a pampered member of royalty on a picture showing a guy with long hair, and wearing pink flower-print socks…

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 1:19am
  100. So he doesn't deserve respect?

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:49am
  101. So nobody is allowed to joke about any image they see? I seriously doubt that any of us live to that standard...

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 10:20am
  102. Eh I think you guys are taking things too seriously

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 1:22am
  103. I say let him starve himself to death. Then there will be one less of these guys.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 1:30am
  104. I say it all the time.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 2:09am
  105. Funny thing is, I’ve never heard straight guys call each other queens!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 2:33am
  106. It’s just flippant…not offensive!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 2:40am
  107. Hmmmm I’ve only heard the term used in reference to drag queens or black women in general….so as this is a black man what was he referencing?

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:03am
  108. Oh good god, a queen by any other name is still a damn queen. jesus christ. we are the politically correct police because we have butthurt. We must obliterate them all…wtfe

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:11am
  109. Riiight

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:14am
  110. I hear that phrase all the time by my friends…lol

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:22am
  111. Just like when a white guy says, ” Just look at that Nigga” same thing right?

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:26am
  112. Right before he gets his ass kicked.

Replied on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:53am
  113. Back to the hypocrisy how many gay ppl call someone a queen daily…how many also make slurs against jocks rednecks their own community other races (should I mention some of the sub categories of the lgbt community that we could deem offensive slurs to ethnic groups) and everyone else…its human nature ppl make comments but those comments don’t define him anymore than they do all of us…I hate to break it to ya but if you want mainstream attention and equality you better get use to non lgbt members using terms they hear you use yourself…after all if they hear you say it they think its not offensive right…

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 3:29am
  114. Unless he is talking about the queen of England, bs!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:02am
  115. Yea, right !!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:09am
  116. The NFL is under the microscope now. They will all be watched and reported on closely

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:16am
  117. Idiot

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 4:46am
  118. whats wrong with being called a queen?

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 5:38am
  119. bigger fish to fry then him that is for sure

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 6:46am
  120. Thomas Gale Knoch it’s such a double standard. Black people SCREAM about how offended they are by that word yet, it gets thrown around in that community with zero
    regard….
    Queen? For me it just means diva. Or someone who is high maintenance.
    I am not offended by it.
    As a lesbian, I find the word “fag/got extremely offensive. The word dyke, I am kind of on the fence about. There’s always going to be someone who is offended. No matter what the word is.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 7:54am
  121. Dont think queen is homophobic. I use it all the time and i know my friends take it as a compliment as Nanci Wylde said just means diva to us. Im not even arsed about being called a dyke. I am!!

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 9:08am
  122. Yeah, who is the one trying to get attention? This jerk. He posts it to 2 different accounts. lol!! Loser.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 9:23am
  123. In my 30 years in the “show” segment of the gay community, I will say that some of the greatest, most GIVING people I have ever met are self-declared “queens”!
    There is no shame or disgrace in that term, unless WE place it there…

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 10:52am
  124. if the tiara fits..

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 1:01pm
  125. Whoever the guy in the pink socks is, I think he is pretty nice looking. I’ll take him pink socks and all ;)

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 6:20pm
  126. Lets get over it…besides, he has hideous braids.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 7:19pm
  127. nice try..

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 7:47pm
  128. The reality is that if you enjoy calling other gay men “queens” for no reason other than your own entertaiment, then there’s a chance you just might get punched mouth for it. That’s reality.

Posted on Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 10:03pm
  129. Gays use the term “queen” and some proudly use the title. Maybe he WAS looking at a queen.

Posted on Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 3:28am