Wisconsin

Wis. queer youth commits suicide; family, friends say bullying was a factor

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

RACINE, Wis. — A 14-year-old Wisconsin youth who identified as gender queer committed suicide on Sunday, and now friends and family are coming forward to say that bullying is to blame.

A vigil was held Monday for Alexis “Lexi” Lopez-Brandies, a freshman at Horlick Senior High School in Racine, Wis.

Lexi Lopez-Brandies

Lexi Lopez-Brandies

Nearly 200 mourners gathered in the cold outside Lexi’s home, holding candles in honor of their friend and classmate, who was described “as a nonconformist with a big heart.”

The vigil was organized by two student groups: the Gay-Straight Alliance and the Youth Empowered in the Struggle (YES!), a group for Latino students and friends.

“She was such a beautiful person and I wish everybody could have met (her) because she really did turn everybody’s life around in a positive manner,” said friend Michael Dollaka-Posch.

Family and friends believe Lexi was the victim of bullying at school and through social media.

“It really needs to stop because I’m afraid we are going to lose more and more people like this. She was a beautiful girl and I don’t see how somebody could do that,” said Sierra Braun, who said she was Lopez’s best friend.

Stacy Tapp, a spokesperson for the Racine School District, told LGBTQ Nation on Wednesday that school officials are working with the two student groups to come up with an effective program to address bullying, and to address issues confronting students who identify as LGBTQ.

She said school administrators were not aware that Lexi had been bullied, and that the suicide caught them by surprise as there had been no incident reports filed.

At Monday’s vigil, Lexi’s grandfather spoke briefly, telling the crowd: “We all know what happened. But there is more to it. There was mental health issues, and there was bullying. Both need to change, and they need to be addressed in our society and our community.”

“As parents, and grandparents, we can advise and we can direct, but the ones that need to change it are you,” he said. “Silence is complicit. So when you see each other struggling, and you see somebody suffering, reach out.”

Jolie McKenna, Executive Director of the LGBT Center of Southeast Wisconsin, told LGBTQ Nation that she would be meeting with school officials and students Thursday to help address concerns.

“I am bringing the Kenosha County Suicide Coalition director and myself are going to go speak to kind of debrief with the kids about what this means and answer some of their questions. I’m sure there’s a lot of issues and questions that kids have,” she said.

A memorial service is planned for Thursday.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Wisconsin

1. rest in peace. im so sad that these keep popping up in my news feed.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:48am
  2. No..

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:48am
  3. Please tell me that someday this is going to stop.. PLEASE

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  4. we need to fight back against the bullies and do to them what they do to us. fight fire with fire.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  5. Fire leaves burns. If nothing else, I have learned we need to stand up to them, but the reality is we need to be the ones supporting our youth. To bring in lawyers, and makes the waves at the local, state and federal levels that are needed until this stops.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  6. @michell unfortunately just like racism, it wont ever stop. we just need to keep fighting back for those who are too scared to voice it themselves. i dont know why being gay is such an issue. i am respectful of all opinions and religions, but is it really necessary to single out someone who is different than yourself? i have been in that dark dark place of mind many times and the worst thing someone can do is kick you harder.. i wish he would have talked to someone.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:52am
  7. If we could only make our youth realize that -"this to shall pass"...that it DOES get better, and that high school is a crock of shit that wont matter the day after you graduate, and the ppl who you thought mattered and influenced you, dont matter..and that there are more FOR you than AGAINST you.....and that ppl who bully, really hate themselves and not you..and your life is sooooo much more important than what anyone thinks of you....JC!!!!

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:09am
  8. Very, terribly, unbelievably sad.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  9. :’(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  10. We lost another, because of bullying. This breaks my heart.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  11. Religion

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  12. So sad, so young.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  13. :(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  14. I hate how many aren’t doing much about bullying. This is going to get worse & worse. sorry you ahd to leave this world because of cruel people, sweetie

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  15. Damn this pisses me off. Stang strong . Gay people. Stop letting them win

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  16. I've been bullied since 7th grade & i'm still standing though sometimes I feel like I'm going to fall. :/ I hope my LGBT friends don't give bullies the satisfaction.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  17. I know right!!! @ Stephany Nicht Mehr Weinen, I am sorry about hear that! I am glad you still alive and stay strong!!

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:20am
  18. Mr. Stewart: Will you (& others) be doing anything other than temporarily providing a shoulder for those children to cry on? How about getting to the root of the problem & stop just treating the symptoms. No doubt EVERYONE there knows the bullies. How about permanently expelling those bullies from your school district & attaching related documentation to their permanent records for starters. Second, how about vigorous prosecution to the fullest extent of the law?

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:21pm
  19. Rip :(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  20. This is so sad. :(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:49am
  21. in spirits….

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:50am
  22. What a sin.it’s. Their lives let them be whatever they want to be.poor baby.breaks my heart to see this.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:50am
  23. :-(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:50am
  24. aniother victim due to bullying when will it stop

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:50am
  25. Damn it.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:50am
  26. Bullying needs to have more severe consequences for the jerks who do this.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:50am
  27. :( Not again…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:50am
  28. Oh no! So sad. I am angry!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:50am
  29. May he be with God in peace.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  30. So sad! R.I.P buddy

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  31. This is why I won’t tolerate that Duck Fucker or watch the Olympics. Hate mongers help kill kids. This sweet child did not deserve to die in despair.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  32. Exactly!!! I agree with you!!! I won't watch that disgusting redneck fucking show!

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:23am
  33. People are idiots.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  34. How sad.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  35. Rest in peace. I’m sorry.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  36. Sooo sad…i wish that they were as lucky as ALL of us…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  37. -.-

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  38. this needs to seriously stop. like now. if anyone is going through anything like this, stay strong. ♥

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  39. :( Way sad. People are so cruel

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:51am
  40. Not again…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:52am
  41. I work for the district and will be speaking to the students from this school tomorrow. This has to stop.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:52am
  42. THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AND THAT'S A BIG LAUGH.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:32am
  43. They obviously learn this from home.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:05pm
  44. So sad….. prayers for the family…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:52am
  45. So sad Rip

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:52am
  46. is queer the right word? bullying is just…help me with a good word besides wrong or mean. so SICK of people thinking they are better than others. bullies need to just hide in a corner.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:52am
  47. They're genderqueer, so yes, "queer" is the right word.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:11am
  48. growing up i was taught that word was a deragtory term, why i never used it so, hell i don't even know what genderqueer is

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:55pm
  49. It's pretty easy to look it up and find out what "genderqueer" means and why it's not a derogatory word like "queer" used to be, Dorkus.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:57pm
  50. Oh goodness..

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:53am
  51. Seems like small minded/mostly religious ppl tend to bully ppl.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:53am
  52. This sucks these people need to know people love them more often so they can not care what assholes think. That’s hard to do though

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:53am
  53. <3

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:53am
  54. Sad

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:53am
  55. :( My heart aches tonight <3

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:53am
  56. :( so sad.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:54am
  57. Is no one else offended about the “queer” in the headline !!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:54am
  58. No… They're genderqueer, and as a genderqueer person myself, I think censoring the word because sme people don't like it is pretty offensive.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:10am
  59. Queer Nation, ActUP, the gay community has reclaimed the use of the word, queer and for many it is not an insult. For some it still is, so be sure you know who you are talking to before you toss the word into the conversation.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:33pm
  60. In the headline, it is perfectly appropriate.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:33pm
  61. RIP

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:54am
  62. So sad :’(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:54am
  63. :( its not a sin its who u are and she should have been proud not bullied bcoz others dont think its right

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:54am
  64. Nothing to like about this. My thoughts and prayers to the family and loved ones.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:55am
  65. This is sad and makes me cry hearing about stuff like this

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:55am
  66. So sad

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:55am
  67. :C

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:55am
  68. When will this BS stop?!! :(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:55am
  69. Hang on @Stephany Nicht Mehr Weinen .. it really does get better.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:56am
  70. Wow WHEN WILL THIS STOP … RIP YOUNG ANGEL :-(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:56am
  71. bullying will stop when parents properly educate their child about the lgbt, no child grows up “homophobic”, its a learnt behaviour.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:56am
  72. Damn it….. damn it damn it damn it….

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:56am
  73. So sad and this happens far too often

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:57am
  74. I swear I cry everytime I see this. I just wanna go back and help. So tragic. This MUST stop.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:57am
  75. So sad to hear such a beautiful young person didn’t reach out for help.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:57am
  76. Absolutely heartbreaking! She had such promise!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:57am
  77. This brings me to tears because many were alone, so they got weaker though throughout the fight they were at first so strong. Justice will be made, hun. justice will be made for everyone who committed suicide & or tried to over people so cruel that don’t realize the damage they’re doing to someone. please if you know someone being bullied, speak up. don’t let them go through this alone. get them counseling too, to help them deal w/ this. depression & suicidal thoughts are nothing to ignore. don’t ignore the signs of self harm as well

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:57am
  78. I hate seeing this. Poor girl

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:58am
  79. They're genderqueer, not a girl… .-.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:17am
  80. OMG… Not another one..

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:58am
  81. oh damn it!!! this shit sux!!!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:59am
  82. My heart is so heavy. I’m so sorry for the pain her family and friends must be feeling. My prayers are with them all. :’(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:59am
  83. This makes me so mad that this poor youth was bullied for being gender queer!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 4:59am
  84. So sad we need to stop the bullying

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:00am
  85. R.I.P. sweet baby

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:01am
  86. The article says they're genderqueer, not a girl… .-.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:11am
  87. how sad

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:01am
  88. How sad.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:01am
  89. DAMNIT!!! I’ll admit, to cope I really got into drugs & alcohol.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:01am
  90. Why aren’t parents teaching their kids to cope and how to deal with bad people.. why aren’t parents protecting their kids and teaching them self reliance? Is this a result of giving the kids everything they want and not disciplining them? I thought about suicide for about 15 minutes when I was ripped out of the closet in a hard core church family and a friend walked away from me…and yes I was bullied…but it wasn’t the end of the world.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:02am
  91. You haven't been through what they went through, and it's obvious that you're not genderqueer. We arguably go through more shit than any other non-straight/non-cisgender identity, so shut up.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:14am
  92. Chris W. Luczak, unfortunately, lack of parenting probably had nothing to do with it. Some people's brains are just wired differently, so what sounds like nothing to you, seriously is the end of the world for them. You are incredibly lucky that you can take bullying and have such tough skin that suicide was barely on your mind before it went away. But some people aren't that lucky. This kid might have had a mental disorder like major depression, in which you can't just tell them "buck up" and they'll be fine. Maybe there was no mental disorder at all, but that still gives you no right to trivialize their struggle.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:30am
  93. As a genderqueer, you would think you would understand that EVERYONE was different and every situation is different. Saying that you go through more shit than anyone else is exactly what someone who see's all things equal wouldn't say. To gain true equality everyone needs to think equally, not just when it suits you. I am not genderqueer and I lived/live a very tough life. I was picked on, beat up, and harassed more than most kids in school. And the other kids who got worse than me were not genderqueer either. But so what, it's not a competition, fact is, I handled it. I am just fine, I never fought back, or hurt myself, but it stopped. I wish this person had the same outcome, I feel for the family and friends and hope people can learn from this.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:40am
  94. Not first not last. Life can be so cruel. R.I.P.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:02am
  95. = /

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:02am
  96. We are losing too many young people to suicide cause of bullying, I was bullied so much being gay at a very young age, tall skinny nerdy and a bit fem…oh how I hated my youth and thought many times ending the pain…but it does get better. I met a wonderful man and we’ve been together over 38 years….but for this young sweet person, my heart breaks so….

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:02am
  97. This is terrible. Poor child. And for everyone asking about “queer” in the title: the deceased identified as genderqueer and it’s more respectful to call them “queer” (part of the deceased’s identity) than use the word “girl” (not necessarily the most respectful word as it is at best incomplete and at worst inaccurate).

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:02am
  98. Finally, someone picked up on the fact that they're genderqueer, not a girl. Thank you :)

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:14am
  99. not good, so sorry for th parents & family

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:04am
  100. My heart hurts. May Alexis “Lexi” Lopez-Brandies Rest In Peace and may perpetual Light shine upon her.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:04am
  101. Why do kids have to be so mean today? Where the hell are the parents of these kids being mean? Someone should go slap those parents of the bullies, and throw them in jail…This just pisses me off to no end this kind of stuff goes on.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:04am
  102. Sometimes the parents join in on the bullying..

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:05am
  103. So sad. The bullying needs to stop.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:04am
  104. So dam sad :(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:04am
  105. another youth gone because of bullying, The bullying needs to stop right now

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:05am
  106. Love all people

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:05am
  107. To always be lonely, afraid to answer a question, to hide during lunch or trying to be safe on the school bus….kids give up hope…..we have to stop this…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:05am
  108. Education is the very needed cure for ignorance.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:05am
  109. When even your BEST FRIEND misgenders you that’s a bad sign.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:06am
  110. I wouldn't even call someone like that a friend.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:16am

115. this is so sad, this needs to stop, bring tears to my eyes

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:09am
  116. So ssd

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:10am
  117. Yes it must!!!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:10am
  118. Prayers for her family – in heaven watching over us, will be bullied no more!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:11am
  119. They are genderqueer, not a girl...

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:13am
  120. My bad, i apologize for the mistake on my part.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:14am
  121. Seriously. They weren’t a girl. Read the damn article.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:11am
  122. Rest in peace. So sad to see a beautiful person go because of others being evil. Spread the word, stop the hate!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:12am
  123. This breaks my heart, I am always reading about this kind of thing happening. Why are we still going through this in 2013 going on 2014?

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:12am
  124. This is so sad

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:12am
  125. Beyond sad

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:13am
  126. Sad and heartbreaking. Sympathy and prayers to these family.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:13am
  127. Why is this still happening?

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:15am
  128. We must put an end to BULLYING, BULLYING of kids, adults and seniors!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:16am
  129. Oh my god!!!! shame homophobic people!!!!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:16am
  130. This is sad…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:16am
  131. I can’t stand these homophoic! ugh!! I am strong and stand up my life than fucking christian homophobic!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:17am
  132. It´s really overwhelming,we have to keep our faith in something spiritual,not saying organized religions nor dogmas but something good from invisible planes,to help us through this darkness and build our strength with union worldwide.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:18am
  133. This really is upsetting. My heart goes out to the family. I hope the bullies are ashamed.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:20am
  134. Same-sex couples don’t kill themselves because they can’t get married. How many more of these headlines do we have to read before the LGBT/queer community shifts its focus to real issues?

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:21am
  135. I mean, I guess one could say that we are not entirely sure what nouns/pronouns they preferred. I have many genderqueer friends who do prefer gender-referential language for themselves, whether referencing the gender assigned at birth or not. Still, though.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:21am
  136. Not even their “friends” could get their gender right… And people wonder why this person committed suicide. It’s clear they had no one they could turn to for support, not even so-called “friends”. So sad. Rest in peace, ____. (something tells me the name used for them in this article isn’t the name they went by, and instead is the name their parents imposed on them)

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:22am
  137. karma will find ones responsible.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:23am
  138. Makes me so sad that this is still going on, why can people not understand that me being gay does not affect you. Please let each of us live out own life without judgement from another.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:23am
  139. People need to get over the whole GENDER thing! Teach our youth to identify one another as human beings. Who you are shouldn’t be determined by what is inbetween your legs. Grow up America! Learn to love one another!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:23am
  140. This is extremely sad. The biggest problem is that most of the kids who commit/attempt suicide don’t have much support from their families either.All the kids should have FREE counseling in schools and it should be obligatory.Condoleances for the innocent.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:24am
  141. That is so very sad. You would think the people in this world would not be so dam hateful. God rest her soul.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:24am
  142. Extremely sad all ladies and gentleman young old ur not alone out there all of us lgbt are all family just know u always have family behind u its sad too see and read about family feeling like they have to end there life bc there just being them selves loving the same way as everyone else..

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:24am
  143. This has to stop for real.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:25am
  144. I agree with you.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:26am
  145. so sad for this young girl,,,the bulling does need to stop,,,my prayers go out to the family and friends!!!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:26am
  146. THIS WHOLE WORLD IS ALL FUCKED UP BECAUSE OF BULLYING; SO FUCK OFF ALL YOU FUCKING BULLIES OUT THERE.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:26am
  147. Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:26am
  148. :( This is so sad.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:26am
  149. Don’t let the fuckers that did this to him get away with it!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:28am
  150. My prayers for this innocent child. This is not fair

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:28am
  151. I’m a little uneasy at all the references to this kid as a “beautiful girl”? They’d better be using this kid’s preferred pronouns here or that’s just insult to injury.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:29am
  152. y do commit suicide,face them with a pride no matter who u are

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:29am
  153. i was born and raised in marshfield,,,and it,s the same there,,,i have a gay brother there and he,s always being targeted and he,s told the police and they don,t do shit,,,thank god i,m no longer living there,,,but the bullshit needs to stop

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:30am
  154. That is so sad

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:30am
  155. It always makes me sad when someone ends their life because other people convince them that they aren’t worthy of living. We need to be proud of who we are as individuals and surround ourselves with those who makes us feel loved and accepted instead of listening to people who belittle and harshly judge us.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:31am
  156. Kids NEED to stop killing themselves!!!!! When the hell did it become cool to commit suicide for being bullied???? Somebody needs to seriously start teaching kids how to stand up for themselves! What the hell kind of world are we living in now where it’s ok to commit suicide for being bullied????

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:32am
  157. Stop this crap about bullying needs bigger consequences. Stop targeting the doer and go after the cause! Parents are weaker now, pay less attention, or way too much. The problem is parents, MY generation. Too worried about being like our parents that our kids are losing a very important key to life… RESPECT.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:33am
  158. It is so disgusting how people can behave this way. Just because someone isn’t like you doesn’t mean that you can hurt their feelings. Also, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Let’s make these people realize that being mean to LGBTQ people is disgusting and keep more bully victims alive!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:35am
  159. ... being mean to anyone is disgusting. To gain true equality we need to stop categorizing.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:44am
  160. Yes even if this kid had a chemical imbalance… why weren’t the patents seeking help?

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:37am
  161. 14 years old. So much potential. It makes me sad that so many people here are so hung up on pronouns. We need to grieve the loss of a human being who was in pain! Then we all need to act to prevent the next loss.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:41am
  162. Condemn you all bullies out there! This is beyond unacceptable. The LGBTQ community needs to stick together now more than ever. As long ar there are lack of knowledge about us this wouldn’t stop. Every homophobic has a tendency to become an outly accepted bully. This is sick. People are condemning us for being just how we are while they’re letting people make fun of us in a very fatal manner which results on self-harming, suicidal attemps and killing themselves. What pains us more is theat people denies us acceptance!

#AcceptanceMatters

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:44am
  163. oh no :(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:46am
  164. did she have a counselor?

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:47am
  165. someone to talk to??

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:47am
  166. When will this stop!!!! Bullying is criminal and should be dealt with accordingly. No one should have to put up with the abuse.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:48am
  167. Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:50am
  168. My heart breaks for her. Genuinely.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:50am
  169. Too good for this world.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:52am
  170. I may sound ignorant but isn’t the word “queer” an offensive term? If yes, then why use it in the headline?

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:53am
  171. This person identified as gender queer. Queer is not being used in a derogatory way, but an appropriate descriptor. They did not identify as female, so saying ''she'' or ''her'' would be inappropriate in this situation. Read back through previous comments/replies. There is a very good explanation...

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:37am
  172. Read the reply from Giovoni Angelo Martelli. I may have misspelled that, if I did, I apologize.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:40am
  173. Oh. Okay . Thank you.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:46pm
  174. Man that’s sad, just a kid, only 14! smh

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:53am
  175. I don’t know her but I have compassion and wish the family my condolences…. It breaks my heart to see teens struggle with life

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:53am
  176. This is so sad, it has got to stop.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 5:56am
  177. This it’s horrible. I’ve never heard the term genderqueer before, but I’m sure it had nothing to do with the heart or intellect of this person. I have taught my children acceptance, because I think it is important and I really wish I saw more of it around me. So sad.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:03am
  178. Such a tragedy, this young beings death rests on the shoulders of anyone that has entertained preference and prejudice in a public manner… RIP BABY GIRL

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:04am
  179. Nope. No. No. No. Not going to read this. Too sad :’(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:04am
  180. Gender roles, homophobia, conservatism… we need to get rid of all those three things already, for fuck’s sake.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:06am
  181. Rip little angel!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:08am
  182. How sad this is …. ;0( our young that suffer with gender identity or their sexual identity . I thought by now this would be all in the past !! I think the children of today ( not sure of their sexuality ) have it harder than I did at 19 when I came out , I feel the pain of those that go through this change or this admitance of who you are … ;0(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:11am
  183. queer?

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:11am
  184. Breaks my heart.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:14am
  185. God bless

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:16am
  186. Why does this continue? This breaks my heart. Bullies learn alot of their ignorance right at home.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:16am
  187. Angioletta, OSS

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:18am
  188. It doesn’t make any difference what this child’s sexual orientation is, nor does it make any difference if black, brown, yellow, red, fat, skinny, a nerd, a popular kid, no one has the right to bully another person, back to the old “you without sin cast the first stone. I don’t see anyone who has the right to bully another person, absolutely no one.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:21am
  189. So sad…I too was bullied and a non conformist in WI, but that was 30 some years ago…there was NO place to turn back then for LGBT youth…prayers to her family…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:27am
  190. More and more (and especially on the net) more people are just destructive and mean… no matter what the subject matter. I grew up with “if you can’t say something positive, keep your frickin’ mouth shut”. Nobody has to agree with everything; but, at least let others be who they are. This has gotten WAAAYYY out of control.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:34am
  191. So unfair. Needs to stop! My heart goes out to his family

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:34am
  192. So heartbreaking. With “social media” now, bullying goes virtually undetected. If the victim doesn’t tell anyone, no one knows. As a victim of old school bullying, it helped when randomn witnesses would step up and stand up.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:35am
  193. There needs to be stricter punishments for bullying. Give these kids man slaughter and jail time. This will put an end to this shit real quick.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:35am
  194. Such a loss. So sad.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:37am
  195. its a choice to commit suicide what ever reason.may b but most are mentally unstable comes from parenting….this is parents fault they didnt get their child help MHMR…is there use it…if

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:39am
  196. I hate that. I just want to hug these kids and let them know its all gonna be alright. When they become of age and leave home another large family they dont know is here and waiting for them with much love and exceptance. If only they knew. So sad. I pray for the family and friends that truely loved them.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:40am
  197. Absolutely tragic and preventable. Every child has a future worth saving.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:44am
  198. Kandi

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:51am
  199. Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 6:52am
  200. I’m So Saddened To Read Yet Another Youth Has Taken Their Life, Do To Bullying! WHy! WHy! WHy! How Many More Of Our Youth Must Die!!! My Heart Is Broken! Jesus Is Weeping! We Have To Stop This!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:04am
  201. So sad may she RIP. God b wit her family n friends . Im just Prayin.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:07am
  202. Too sad….

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:37am
  203. So sad :( RIP

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:43am
  204. RIP beautiful ♥

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 7:48am
  205. Comin out now, huh???? idk…..

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:00am
  206. god bless u hope i can met u in heaven :)

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:02am
  207. Poor sweet kid. God bless you.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:04am
  208. Bullying is killing our LGBTQ youth!! Some thing need to be done!!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:36am
  209. I have the real solution: Teach kids how to actually STAND UP for themselves!

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:42am
  210. How many more people have to do this in order to get it thorough their thick skulls that bully do this? My thought and prayers are with her family. It shame to lose another young person because their sexuality. :(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:41am
  211. peace and love. no more hate. blessed be. so mote it be.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:48am
  212. She was so beautiful rest in peace♥

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:51am
  213. Poor darling fkn hate bullies

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:52am
  214. Bullying is for Losers ! Same Love! This is so tragic! <3

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 8:56am
  215. That makes me sad. I am sorry that bullying continues to this day!!!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:20am
  216. heartbreaking.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:23am
  217. This is near where I used to live. People are total asses to anyone who isn’t their idea of perfect/normal.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:24am
  218. This is just sad…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:35am
  219. Sorry for your loss. Just a note to all parents of gay child. If he or she is being bullied take them out of school. It’s not worth it. Home school. Life is way to short

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:39am
  220. Pore baby, this sooo wasn’t necessary…. Such a waste <3

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:46am
  221. Soo. Sad rest. In peace rainbow. Angel. …gone to soon. …so young. N full. Of life

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 9:53am
  222. How do we empower children to withstand, ignore, transcend bullying? Bullies only have the power we give them. So sorry for your loss.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:09am
  223. RIP my lgbtq friend. You’re in my thoughts sweet girl.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:15am
  224. Your words are kind, but keep in mind that this kid did not apparently identify as a girl, Skylar Lawniczak.

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 3:00pm
  225. Oh god, I’m in Wisconsin. Not the same county as far as I know, but I wish good luck and express sorrow for their family. <3

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:26am
  226. Another death because of bullying. There will not be an end to this until they make a law putting people in jail for bullying .

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:30am
  227. God Blees R.I.P

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:54am
  228. The horror that this poor kid had to endure is inexcusable. Things like this can start small, but escalate. Know the signs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY4YAUaVbBI

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 10:59am
  229. Hate is taught!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:09am
  230. Bullying is always gonna be around, we’re never gonna be able to stop it. We need to teach kids how to deal more, not just let kids play the victim. That makes them weaker and more likely to just be a statistic… Still be anti bullying and still try to stop it but teach them to deal just as much. This is still tragic though…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:09am
  231. what a shame and pity . And only becorse they are gay :(

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:11am
  232. Just devestating, its more than bullying, its abuse. These beautiful young people are being verbally, emotional and physically abused. Which should all be chargable under the law.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:21am
  233. The bullies should be in jail right now for death caused by a hate crime! Most places here in Canada are very firm on anything to do with bullying, hate crimes, discrimination, or harassment. Rip sweet angel. You have a whole community behind you who will never let you be forgotten. My deepest condolences to the family. And to the bullies……I hope you feel every bit of remourse and guilt and carry it with you every day for the rest of your life as a reminder and hopefully raise your children better than you were raised

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:38am
  234. so sad, prayers to the family

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 11:43am
  235. STOP! IT DOES GET BETTER!!!!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:25pm
  236. RIP Lexi

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:34pm
  237. I’m gay and I was bullied since I was in 4th grade still to this day and I am 24 that’s no excuse to do harm to your self. You have to find worth in your self Lord have mercey

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:41pm
  238. Why does this keep happening.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:42pm
  239. Nothing to like about that. So sad. So beautiful too! <3

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:51pm
  240. Any of us couldve been there for her in hard times. step up for the bullied. Rest in peace.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:51pm
  241. Too sad. Tortured.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:52pm
  242. So sad R I P….

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:52pm
  243. I take this opportunity to remind girls to learn self-defense. It is the only way to stop bullies un their tracks. http://Www.womensselfdefensedallas.com for more details.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:53pm
  244. So sad! These bullies will reap what they sow!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:54pm
  245. A waste

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:56pm
  246. so sad that we still have so many unenlightened people in the world

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:04pm
  247. Good

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:09pm
  248. I;m so sorry to the friends and family.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:09pm
  249. Very sad

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:12pm
  250. So, So sorry, the world is changing, just not fast enough !

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:12pm
  251. rip…..please

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:28pm
  252. Very sad… a beautiful person! May she rest in peace.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:29pm
  253. So sad. This ha to stop!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:35pm
  254. So sorry for your loss,God bless all in your family, she is with all the other aNGELS THAT HAVE LEFT THIS EARTH

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:51pm
  255. FFS

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:53pm
  256. I support Phil

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 1:54pm
  257. This is so tragic :/ what is the point of bullying? Ultimately it causes terrible things like this to happen

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:00pm
  258. R.i.p….. its sad what we are losing our kids to. discrimination above all.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:00pm
  259. Disgusting…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:05pm
  260. Here we are again giving nothing more than “lip service” to a serious problem that is continuing to grow. Anyone notice how nothing (not even meaningless lip-service) for this issue is ever in the media until AFTER something horrible like this child’s suicide?

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:16pm
  261. Anyone posting negative comments on this thread (I’m looking at you Timothy Christy, I hope I am misreading your comment… but I somehow doubt it) should be ashamed of yourself. Because of attitudes like yours, a beautiful soul felt her only option was death. How dare you judge anyone.

RIP and may you find peace and love in the next life. ♥♥♥

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:19pm
  262. GOOD

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:30pm
  263. And she was so beautiful. Tragic waste.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:31pm
  264. That poor youth was genderqueer and most likely did not identify as a girl :(

Replied on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 3:04pm
  265. Poor kid.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:32pm
  266. Just NOT ok!!!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:45pm
  267. more blood on the churchs members hands,,,thank pat r…

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:45pm
  268. Screw the “working with” ass covering. The time for that was long since past weeks ago. Avenge her. Sue the bastards & let God sort’em out. Take the principal’s IRA. Take the superintendent’s second home. Drain the teachers’ bank accounts. Make them pay so that, come Jan. 2nd and beyond, educational professionals will think twice before letting this happen to another of ours. Make them pay as if it were tuition for these lessons.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:53pm
  269. It’ll stop when all humans are educated that we are all different. It doesn’t make you better or worse or superior over anyone. We are born just as we are supposed to be. This is why people became so upset with Phil from duck dumbass on TV. Uneducated people are the ones filled with ignorance.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:54pm
  270. So sad and frightening that nothing was done to provent it!

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:55pm
  271. that’s sad:( but come on you have too be strong and forget what people say because You know being gay is a natural thing and if u cant except it, then you haven’t grown up yet.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 at 2:57pm