New York

Police investigate alleged anti-gay attack on Brooklyn man by Hasidic Jewish men

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

NEW YORK — Police are investigating the assault on a gay man who alleges he was attacked by a gang of Hasidic Jewish men who shouted anti-gay slurs at him while he was walking home in Brooklyn.

Taj Patterson

Taj Patterson

Taj Patterson, 22, a fashion student at the New York City College of Technology, said he was attacked in the early morning hours of Dec. 1, reported the New York Daily News.

“I’m walking down some block by myself and then the next thing I know, I’m surrounded by a group of Hasidic Jewish men and they’re attacking me,” Patterson said. “I was alone. I was an easy target. I’m black. I’m gay, a whole slew of reasons.”

Patterson said the group of men watched as their leader proceeded to attack him, kicking him in the face.

“He told me to ‘stay down, faggot, stay the fuck down,’ ” Patterson recalled. “And that’s really all I can remember of that.”

Patterson was “highly intoxicated, uncooperative and incoherent,” after the assault, according to a police complaint — but he remembers the ringleader.

Evelyn Keys, a bus driver for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, was rounding the corner where the attack occurred, and reportedly saw the group of men surrounding Patterson, according to the Daily News.

The assault left Patterson with a torn retina, a broken eye socket, blood clotting and cuts on his legs. He’s expected to have surgery to reattach his retina.

The NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating the attack, police said.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: New York

1. *embarrassed as a Jew*

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:01pm
  2. Oh please!

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:31pm
  3. I descend from Jews who have been long ago converted to Christianity (as millions of Latinos)and I have always pointed out to the dangers of fundies in whatever religion (some are even worse off in their attacks).Such people are insane and truly harmful to any society and give their religion a bad name (but what is even worse,religions most often are quite homphobic themselves,with few lovely exceptions).

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:38pm
  4. dont be

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:36pm
  5. don't be embarrassed be outraged and contact these people and warn them to stop or they WILL BE STOPPED.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:21pm
  6. Don't be embarrassed Tyler- It's not like you yourself did this. Instead, speak out and say that not everyone is like this

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:05pm
  7. ^^...bitches, I'm not actually embarrassed.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:08pm
  8. dont be THERE ARE LIBERALS AND MODERATE ETC... ITS YOU AS A human being LOVE U

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:02am
  9. Omg! that makes me so sick and angry!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:02pm
  10. Jewish people should be the LAST ones going against equality. T’f

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:02pm
  11. So obviously all 15 million Jews are responsible for the act of this group of this alleged crime (who knows maybe they weren't even Jewish?! WOAH).

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:53am
  12. It always saddens me greatly to see when people who know something of the effects of violence, hate and discrimination invoke the same in their dealings with their brothers and sisters in life.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:02pm
  13. you took the words right out of my mouth

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:16pm
  14. How disgusting! One minority oppresses another....

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:15am
  15. Of course, I have been profoundly disappointed at times, with my 'own' community, lesbian & gay people, on those occasions I've seen bisexual and transgendered people marginalized, or their very existence mocked or dismissed. We humans have a great deal of work to do. (Actually, my community, as such, is lgbtq and everyone else who cares to pile happily on board.)

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:17am
  16. Omg that’s horrible

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:02pm
  17. Omg

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:03pm
  18. Sick people still in this world why don’t understand

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:04pm
  19. That makes me absolutely sick! That poor man. I pray he gets the justice he do deserves!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:04pm
  20. So*

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:04pm
  21. the oppressed become the oppressors – its happening all over – open your eyes!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:05pm
  22. So obviously all 15 million Jews are responsible for the act of this group of this alleged crime (who knows maybe they weren't even Jewish?! WOAH).

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:53am
  23. this is so unacceptable!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:07pm
  24. this is disgusting!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:07pm
  25. This is how the “religious” people think it’s supposed to be. They’ve gotten so high and mighty, they think it’s ok to harm others who don’t believe as they do on certain issues. Just sad, I would have had a blade or bullet for that ass, especially walking home in BROOKLYN!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:08pm
  26. I feel sorry for that man.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:09pm
  27. As someone who is converting to Judaism this makes me very sad.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:09pm
  28. Why? All Jews aren't responsible for this, American Jews are one of the most progressive groups, ethnically and religiously in America.

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 2:04am
  29. I have a right to be sad that some people choose to demean a wonderful faith by misrepresenting it against others who are also discriminated against.

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 2:16am
  30. Really Hasidim? That’s how you roll now? I’m sad…

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:10pm
  31. All absolutely all religion is a.) Mythology and b.) Tied to violence against others.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:10pm
  32. :(

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:11pm
  33. Are you serious?!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:11pm
  34. I’m sorry, but the jews should be the LAST people to pull this kind of thing.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:11pm
  35. anyone can be evil. don't label a person by religion.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:40pm
  36. A Jew, like anyone else, is responsible for their only individual actions, I don't see why their Jewishness EVEN MATTERS. As Silky said, anyone can be a homophobic idiot.

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 2:00am
  37. jewish people are better that this!…. right?

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:14pm
  38. Poor guy, you would think the fucking Jews would be a bit more tolerant all things considered …….

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:15pm
  39. "The fucking Jews"... Really? A handful ALLEGEDLY commit an atrocity, and you seem happy to liken everyone of their background as one violent majority. Why are you even on this page?

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:24pm
  40. You'd Expect LESS From A Latino?

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:46pm
  41. Oops, sorry it's all my fault obviously because I'm Jewish.

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:52am
  42. Really Jewish after all they have been through in history.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:16pm
  43. Why? All Jews aren't responsible for this, American Jews are one of the most progressive groups, ethnically and religiously in America.

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 2:04am
  44. so sad.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:17pm
  45. There is hate in every culture and religion, this is very sad and hopefully this doesn’t happen again.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:18pm
  46. Stupid religion

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:18pm
  47. Why is it so many anti-gay hate crimes are religiously motivated? Shouldn’t this be telling people something about what their spiritual leaders are really teaching?

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:20pm
  48. Because the believer's "God" told them homosexuality is bad, and they believe it.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:40pm
  49. Actually, if you look at all these religions, they have a bottom-line message of love and peace. It's the fundamentalists and extremists who teach people to hate in the name of their religion. In Christianity, for example, the New Testament supersedes the Old Testament. In the New Testament, there is nothing about homosexuality being bad, nothing telling people to judge or hate based on who someone else loves, and nothing telling people to attack and hurt someone because they're different. It's the spiritual leaders (ministers, pastors, priests, etc.) who are teaching people only about Leviticus, which is in the Old Testament and says a man lying with another man as a woman is an abomination. Outdated material that should have been removed once the rules changed, but these spiritual leaders are teaching it because of their own personal bigotry.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:35pm
  50. Any Jew who discriminates should be ashamed of themselves did you not learn anything from the halocaust ? disgusting

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:20pm
  51. How dare you collectively put all Jews together and blame all of us, especially when a super-majority of Jews supports LGBTQ rights! And then as if the Holocaust HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS article bring it into this all. You're ignorant just like the men who committed this crime.

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 2:06am
  52. WHAT ? NOOOOO, I never would’ve thought a Hasidic Jew would do something like that. They are always so calm and mellow. We have got to do better and we need to start fighting back

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:22pm
  53. So sad, I think we the gay community will never fully have equally sorry to say.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:22pm
  54. What?!?!? I thought it was a big thing in the Jewish culture to be non violent???

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:26pm
  55. If y’all could stop talking about “The Jews” as a collective group because of what this group of assholes did, that’d be great.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:28pm
  56. once they stop calling all muslims terrorists.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:39pm
  57. There’s been a lot of anti-gay violence in New York lately. Why?

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:28pm
  58. i think that before we jump to any accusing anyone that we should get the whole story. Let’s not be so quick to blame Jews or anyone for that matter. Let’s get full story first.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:29pm
  59. Doesnt sound like a thing a hasidic jew would do!!! Get your facts before you judge!! Not all queens are angels

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:32pm
  60. I’m not saying the man wasn’t attacked or anything, but there has got to be more to this story….
    I know it seems far fetched but I wouldn’t put it past any major homophobes to start dressing up in disguises and look for victims. The KKK was doing it for years. Also the victim was very intoxicated (again not saying he wasn’t attacked at all) and it was late at night.
    Hmmm, guess we will all have to wait until more details are given.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:32pm
  61. I want to cry what is wrong with people why

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:32pm
  62. What is the matter with people

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:33pm
  63. This is reprehensible!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:34pm
  64. is that kosher?

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:41pm
  65. sad about this

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:47pm
  66. Vida gay :(

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:47pm
  67. horrible hope his surgery is ok but why was he highly intoxicated and what happened before the attack if you put yourself in a situation that you cant be in control of it’s gonna end badly.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:48pm
  68. So Jew attacking Gays Now ?? Did They forget about the Holocaust ? And what their Parents went through with Hitler? Tell them…,to asks their Grandparents what that Number on their forearm means ?

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:49pm
  69. SHUT UP, generalisations cause genocides and homophobia, SO STOP GENERALISING.

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:56am
  70. Wow…when one Christian commits a crime, do we blame ALL Christians? NO we don’t… So why, when a Jew does something wrong, we are all crucified collectively as a group? Something to think about.. No one should resort to violence, but it is NOT okay to target an entire religion over one incident.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 6:50pm
  71. *claps*

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:54am
  72. We need to stop blaming religion for hate. These people DO NOT define nor represent their religion, no matter which one it is.
    If you disagree with homosexuality then stay away from gay people and keep your mouth shut! Simple as that!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:00pm
  73. So now a minority group is attacking another? Where is it going to end…

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:02pm
  74. I hope the perpetrators will be persecuted.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:02pm
  75. Have we not learned our lesson from the Food Server who faked a note on a receipt? Wait until the investigation is complete. Sorry, but I have been very skeptical about some of these reports ever since the faked attack report in Lincoln, NE last year.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:09pm
  76. Because this one has a police report, witness, hospital report and photos for proof. Not one person's word against the other.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:22pm
  77. Not according to this article.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:11pm
  78. There was a witness, a city bus driver, who saw the group of men around the victim, attacking him. All that proves is a group of men were around the victim and attacking him. As for their identities, they could have been members of some hate group trying to foment hatred between multiple other communities, or they could have been a bunch of angry and stupid young men for whom the lessons of their religion never took root. We don't know, and won't until more details come out.

Replied on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:45pm
  79. Oh my GOD Sorry Boy/man………….I’m with you……Those CRIMINALS HASIDICS MUST BE IN JAILLLLLLLL…….FOR HATE CRIME.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:12pm
  80. LOVE AND COURAGE to you Taj Patterson as your wounds heal inside out….To hell with the perpetrator of this assault….To those cranking up the anti-semetic rhetoric because the assailant was Jewish please educate yourselves a little…This is a very isolated incident one that is NOT typical of the Jewish community who have always shown great support towards the LGBTQ community in many, many, many ways over the years.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:18pm
  81. I’m stunned by this. In my knowledge Hasidic Jews have always tried to promote peace. At the very least they themselves simply want to be left alone. Obviously this young man was brutally beaten. And I do not doubt what he says he saw of his attackers. But I do wonder if it were not a group of “people” dressed as Hasidic Jews in order to start problems with both communities. Perhaps that idea is simply wishful thinking on my part. Whatever the case may be. I wish a speedy recovery for this man. And hope the police find whoever did this quickly.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:22pm
  82. Thats right !
    I’ m a jewish german old gay – thats not typical for a jew human !
    Hello & Shalom from Berlin, Germany –
    my best wishes to this victim.man !

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:24pm
  83. Sorry – P.S. : my post before was a answer to @James Holloway … ;-)

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:27pm
  84. A few things bother me about this article: 1. “alleged”- the man was beated, he is gay, there was a witness- nothing alleged about it. 2. The police stated he seemed intoxicated- but no mention of BAC- the man had his head repeatedly stomped on- a concussion (which i am sure he had) often mimicks intoxicated behavior. 3. All of the “the Jews” should blah blah blah comments below- They are racist-Stop it! You are lumping one group into a negativly because of a few. Spread love-not war and do not condemn all for the actions of a few. We all know how much we hate it when we are lumped into one group- have the same amount of courtesy.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:28pm
  85. Being black Jewish and bi makes me very ashamed and enraged all the same

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:32pm
  86. Violence Is committed by all ethnicities. No one group can claim they are violence free. This is definitely a human condition that needs to be addressed. Thank you for your post.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:36pm
  87. sad. by why is it important to mention the religion of the attackers?

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:37pm
  88. WTF!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:37pm
  89. It won’t be hard to find them. They’ll brag about it. Check cell phone connections in the area. Cross reference that with the owners of the phones.
    Bingo you got a good lead.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:40pm
  90. weird how if a muslim does this, people go crazy. if a jew does this, everyone is quiet.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:41pm
  91. I’m Jewish and I am all for Gay Rights. I can’t consider those men Jewish.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:41pm
  92. A lot of Hate come from narrow minded religious people!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:41pm
  93. Que horrível!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:42pm
  94. This was a result of fundamentalism not Judaism. When people are taught that their holy books are the words of God then they can see themselves as God’s soldiers for committing acts like this. Fundamentalist religions foment hate and intolerance.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:49pm
  95. Can someone explain to me how a group of strangers knew this guy was “gay”? Is this a racial crime or a homosexual hate crime?

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:52pm
  96. If I’ve said it once I’ve said it 1,000 times…. gays, lesbians, and trans people need to exercise their 2nd amendment rights and start protecting themselves and each other. no one is going to do it for us–just follow LGBTQ Nation’s news and you’ll see. If you aren’t safe in NYC being LGBT then you aren’t safe anywhere in this country.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 7:59pm
  97. We need to stand up and fight back against the hate at all costs. Yeah, it’ll be difficult but the end result will guaranteed be positive if we all stick together.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:11pm
  98. ok gays in NYC you need to get your scissors and glitter and teach these Hasidics a lesson. First cut their hair, and then glitter bomb the shit out of their black clothing.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:22pm
  99. My people need to realize that what goes around comes around.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:25pm
  100. it seems like they take turns being insane…

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:25pm
  101. People stop we all have to live here,stop hurting other people. Because you are hurting yourself.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:27pm
  102. looks so painful

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:27pm
  103. terrible

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:28pm
  104. Kick the Hasidic out of our country after they serve real time in our jai!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 8:52pm
  105. OH COME THE FUCK ON. give the rest of us a bad name

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 9:06pm
  106. Poor guy. Rotten fuckers.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 9:32pm
  107. wow

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:05pm
  108. I really dislike violence or other negatives done in the name of Religion… but I have to say… there have been so many lying lately… I’m finding I can’t believe much media anymore. :(

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:20pm
  109. ??????

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:40pm
  110. bummer–

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:48pm
  111. Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 11:02pm
  112. People are so evil. Wish I could just hug him.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 11:30pm
  113. And what exactly do these hate filled douchebags have to do with this young man????? This young man has every RIGHT to live his OWN life as HE chooses!!!!! They need to be charged for this heinous HATE CRIME!!!!!! STUPID FCKTARDS.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 11:52pm
  114. I thought Jews were of peace. This is sad.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 12:10am
  115. His fucking retina detatched? There is an excellent chance that it won’t heal properly and his vision will be permanently distorted. Blood clots too? As in could have a fucking stroke? What a bunch of disgusting cowards. I hope they find these shitbags.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 12:39am
  116. scums scums and jews i lke moderate liberal jews of course these must be a hate extremist jew SHAME ON you HOP E u get caught and BE CHARGE BIG TIME minority like us HOLOCAUST and do this to gay men ?? how dare u

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:01am
  117. How dare you collectively put all Jews together and blame all of us, especially when a super-majority of Jews supports LGBTQ rights! And then as if the Holocaust HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS article bring it into this all. You're ignorant just like the men who committed this crime.

Replied on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 2:06am
  118. Ven

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:12am
  119. Fucking religion is always behind those fucking idiots they think are better for who they believe but they are wrong fucking extremist Jews sons of SATAN

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:20am
  120. hey! There are many jews that love the gay community or are even part of it! You cant lump everyone together like that. I love my gay friends and family sooo much. This story both sickens and saddens me : (

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:56am
  121. Oy vey.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 2:32am
  122. We let Israeli and the Jewish community get away with so much violent and hate crimes because we are so afraid that they will used the hate crime angle on us. They are so good at it.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 3:42am
  123. Please stop the religious finger pointing. There is no point to it. This is a news story about a guy that got beat up for no apparent reason.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:14am
  124. Btw, Clayton, you’re making yourself appear as a bigot.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:14am
  125. WTF? That just DOESNT make sence

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:16am
  126. What!!!! Are you kidding me!!!! Hasidic Jewish men…are you kidding me!!!

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:19am
  127. And now people can stop saying there’s no radical Jewish people and that all Jewish people are amazingly good hearted and do nothing wrong.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:22am
  128. arrest them all

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:11am
  129. This is not about Jews at attacking a gay man, this is about the specific men who did this and the need to convict them of a crime! No religion, race ,gender or group of people should be held accountable for the acts of a few horrid people!!!

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:29am