Michelle Obama, celebrities add to support for GMA’s Robin Roberts

Monday, December 30, 2013
Robin Roberts (left) and Michelle Obama.

Robin Roberts (left) and Michelle Obama.

LOS ANGELES — Michelle Obama is leading an outpouring of support for Robin Roberts after the “Good Morning America” news anchor’s first public acknowledgement of her 10-year, same-sex relationship with massage therapist Amber Laign.

The first lady wrote Monday on Twitter: “I am so happy for you and Amber! You continue to make us all proud.”

In a Facebook post Sunday, Roberts thanked her “longtime girlfriend” for providing encouragement during Roberts’ battle with myelodysplastic syndrome, a rare blood and bone marrow disease.

Many celebs also took to Twitter to send Roberts messages, including Ellen DeGeneres, who tweeted, “Good morning, America! Congratulations.”

Comedian Wanda Sykes wrote, “Go on with your bad self!”

Country singer Chely Wright, who came out in 2010, also expressed support through the social media site.

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life

1. I am so happy for you Robin! I hope she is deserving of you because you are a wonderful and a true role model! <3

Posted on Monday, December 30, 2013 at 11:59pm
  2. Well said..

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 5:30pm
  3. Thank you very much! :)

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 5:39pm
  4. you go girl

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:00am
  5. Congratulations Robin! When you are being YOU …as fully as YOU can… YOU produce a “TRUTH” energy that is a constant reminder to those who are not their GENUINE SELF. It is their choice to rebel and spew their anger out of their “FEAR” to be who they really are. When the real YOU shows up …YOU give others the opportunity to show up for themselves, too. Turn over a New Leaf for the New Year…show up “REAL”…and let others deal with “IT”.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:01am
  6. As a gay man I must say our First Lady has never had an opinion before about a celeb “coming out” but she does when it’s a African American lady. Just sayin :)

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:01am
  7. Not true. She's expressed support for others as well, such as Jason Collins.

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:18am
  8. Having the support of the so called first lady ....... means absolutely nothing to me!!!!! She is a fucking joke!!!!

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:01pm
  9. This made me smile :)

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:05am
  10. What’s really sad is that some of these celebrities who have been around for awhile felt like they had to hide who they were all these years because of the way some people can be so mean. Nobody should have to hide who they are at all. And I’ll be happy when nobody has to.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:05am
  11. Im still having to hide that im bi

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:06am
  12. WOOT WOOT!!!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:06am
  13. Way to go! Kudos to our awesome First Lady!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:10am
  14. HELL YES! We are everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:11am
  15. yup.

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:55am
  16. You go Robin.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:17am
  17. It’s nice and refreshing seeing a news story like this. Way to go!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:18am
  18. Can not wait for a day when lesbians, gays and transgender wont have to come out and reveal themselves as such. No one would care.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:19am
  19. Class Act all the way, thanks Robin!! :-))

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:25am
  20. I am so Happy for you Robin. I have watch you since you were a news caster and I am happy knowing you are happy.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:26am
  21. Such a breath of hope for everybody out there- it gets better!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:27am
  22. It was so obvious, just like with Anderson Cooper, Clay Aiken, and George Michael that she was gay . She finally just admitted it. The one who should be next to come out is Queen Latifah. She’s pretended long enough.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:27am
  23. Robin and Latifah I have known for years, love them both

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 2:09am
  24. uhmmmm QueenLatifah came out a long time ago!

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:29am
  25. Yay robin!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:27am
  26. Michelle O is a CLASS ACT.!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:38am
  27. Ricky, Queen Latifah? Hmmm.. Never thought of her that way…

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:38am
  28. Johnathan Travis roberts- I was thinking the exact same thing And I LOVE Robin Roberts

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:42am
  29. I’m so happy for them I just wish we all could be happy and stop the hate and love one another no matter who we love are how different we are

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:45am
  30. Love you robin!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:47am
  31. It will certainly be nice when there’s no such thing as “coming out”, because a person’s sexual orientation will be inconsequential.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:50am
  32. Just want to know what took ypu so long Robin? Wasn’t it cool to be gay befire? We fought the fight and you stood back? Why?

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:52am
  33. Good job Robin! :D

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:53am
  34. She’s already so well liked. Do people really be like ” well, I can’t like you anymore because you’re gay?” I guess they do.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:57am
  35. Love you Robin. Really glad that you have happiness in your life.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:58am
  36. Way to go Robin!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:00am
  37. While I am happy she did this, it is about as surprising as Brian Boitano coming out.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:03am
  38. Love it,love you robin

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:05am
  39. As an ally, it puzzles me why some LGBT folks attack other LGBT folks on how and when they “come out.” I mean, damn, how do you expect non-LGBT folks to support you when you can’t even support each other?

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:16am
  40. So finally it happened!! Congrats and welcome to the family!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:19am
  41. She should be praised for beating cancer. Why praise her for being gay, do people get praised for being straight? Good for her but what’s the big deal?

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:19am
  42. It's a big deal because it takes a lot to have the courage to come out. the fact that she feels comfortable enough to be who she is shows that our fight for equal rights is working just like when other people come out. yes she should be praised for beating cancer but her happiness is just as important.

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:37am
  43. I just meant that to me everyone is coming out it seems without it being a problem, I hope shes happy too. Wasn't trying to be mean or anything.

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:39am
  44. Good for u Robin….who cares what Michelle thinks or does…

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:36am
  45. Robin is a classy, elegant graceful LADY who over came some horrific things in her life in this last year. Maybe one day we will have a nation where it will not be the only thing snatched from her post is the fact that she has a girlfriend. She has faced death, the loss of her mother and more with grace and dignity.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:43am
  46. I knew years ago,so it was no surprise.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:44am
  47. I wish that every gay person could come out and fell unthreatened and comfortable not having to “hide” their sexual orientation. It should not matter ,but members of our society, especially the ignorant, and extreme conservatives, and so-called “religious ” citizens, find it necessary to condemn us! It’s an atrocity! More and more people from all walks of life are coming out….thankfully!!!! I tell them, be brave and be proud!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:55am
  48. She’s a wonderful person. Peace!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 2:11am
  49. She deserves our support and respect just like everyone else does and don’t who you are just be happy and be proud.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 2:28am
  50. I am proud of you, Robin, for giving Amber the respect she deserves!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 2:30am
  51. I agree with you carman bertino

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 2:31am
  52. such an attractive woman! Thanks for coming out!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 2:35am
  53. Salud!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 2:50am
  54. hey that’s just great. but no one cares except for maybe those duck people.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:09am
  55. Love Robin! Another positive role model for our youth! Happy New Year, Robin and Amber!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:11am
  56. God bless you Robin!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:19am
  57. I have a lot of admiration and respect for Robin. She knows the stigmas attached to being gay especially in the public eye. I’m sure other religious fanatics will disagree. That’s their option for they don’t understand nor will they ever.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:20am
  58. Two of the most beautiful and classy women.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:18am
  59. The best for you. <3

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:22am
  60. I just hope she puts all aside and concentrates on her vocation. GMA needs a good anchor and nothing else.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:35am
  61. I’m kind of wondering why this is important? She’ll be the same on t.v. as she was before we knew this. Her sexual preference is none of my business and not of the least bit of interest to me.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:37am
  62. @Don Gugluuzza. I agree she is the same person. And while her sexual ORIENTATION (that is what we are discussing here, not ‘preference’) may not be important to you, it is important to most LGBT people. Anytime anyone comes out, especially a public figure, LGBT rights are advanced. It is the main reason why there’s no Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, DOMA, Prop 8, and why we have marriage equality in 18 states. It’s hard to hate a gay person when they are a family member, coworker, neighbor, friend, or someone you may admire. Hope this helps you “see.”

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 5:01am
  63. Beautifully said @Eric #IApplaudUSir

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 5:06am
  64. When Michelle gives outpouring support to a white girl coming out…let me know.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 6:19am
  65. She's a racist..... not going to happen!!!!!

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:02pm
  66. Sadly true =(

Replied on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 6:31pm
  67. Took Lot Guts ;-)

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 6:22am
  68. I support her all the time

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 7:51am
  69. Michelle and Obama are with it! *** (( you love who you love ))

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 8:08am
  70. Great America, wonderful Robin.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 8:57am
  71. Eric Boykin-Hudler actually my sexual orientation IS my preference.
    What took her so long?
    Anderson Cooper? Stephanie Gosk? Jenna Wolfe? Sam Champion?
    I’m happy for she and Amber but I don’t think this does ANYTHING to advance the struggle that us LGBTQ people go through.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 9:00am
  72. Well done robin enjoy you life !!! xx

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 9:03am
  73. Congratulations on finally having the courage to come out, Robin. We love you!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 9:25am
  74. I am proud of you Robin. Be happy. Best to you and Amber.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 10:33am
  75. Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 11:07am
  76. Michelle honey, you rock ….next president, gay perhaps? Besides that Hillary (forgot the SIRNAME for the moment) jumps to mind! Then see the army flourish!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 11:12am
  77. We love you Robin!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 11:58am
  78. You go Robin!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 12:37pm
  79. Welcome to our world!! Fantastic!!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:53pm
  80. Maybe you could thank her more by passing the LGBT civil rights act you promised also….

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 2:03pm
  81. Way to go Robin. Thanks!!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:22pm
  82. happy for you but sad that Obama has to jump on the stage to steal the attention and grace that is yours. Anything for attention Obama.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:23pm
  83. who gives a rat’s ass?

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 3:34pm
  84. FLOTUS = CLASS

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:08pm
  85. It is great to LIBERATE, Go on with your bad self Robin!! PRIDE PROUD OF YOU!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:12pm
  86. I am proud of my life, and have no shame about my sexual orientation. I just fail to see why coming out is a reason for “celebration”? Why do some suggest that being who we are, is a personal accomplishment?
    Or is it just another chance for the media and the politicians to antagonize the thumpers?

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:23pm
  87. this is why she wanted to let people know, to get recognition from the first lady.

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 4:37pm
  88. Robin Roberts I hope you will be happy in the New year and Much respect to you

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 5:50pm
  89. Knew she was, just waiting for her to finally say it! What a remarkable woman and all that she has done for cancer awareness is awesome!
    Go Robin! God has blessed you and will continue to work thru you!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 6:17pm
  90. congrads..

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 7:55pm
  91. Love robin!! ❤❤❤

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 8:40pm
  92. Well I’m just sorry…I thot everybody knew that RR was queer. And if course Michele is gonna rally with celebs. That’s her way. 10-1… Both Obumba & his wife try stardom when they leave my house on th hill. Big deal!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 8:42pm