Music

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis score early Grammy nomination for ‘Same Love’

Friday, December 6, 2013
Macklemore (right) & Ryan Lewis

Macklemore (right) & Ryan Lewis

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis were the early focus of “The Grammy Nominations Concert Live!” with seven nominations and one spirited performance.

The Seattle rap duo kicked off the televised special to announce nominations for the 56th annual Grammy Awards on Friday night with their hit “Thrift Shop,” then received nominations for Song of the Year for their gay marriage anthem “Same Love,” and for top honor Album of the Year.

Also nominated for album of the year are Sara Bareilles’ “The Blessed Unrest,” Daft Punk’s “Random Access Memories,” Kendrick Lamar’s “good kid, m.A.A.d. city” and “Red” by Taylor Swift, who performed live from Australia on the show.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis were also nominated in the categories Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance, Best Rap Song, Best Rap Album and Best Music Video.

A complete list of Grammy nominations is here.

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Following is Macklemore & Ryan Lewis performing “Same Love” with Mary Lambert and Jennifer Hudson at the MTV Video Music Awards in August; the song won best video with a social message:

Watch:

Late last month, the duo joined the United Nations Free and Equal Campaign to encourage greater respect for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Arts & Entertainment

1. what an awesome song.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:57am
  2. It really is awesome.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:58am
  3. They deserve it!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:58am
  4. Well deserved!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:58am
  5. Very great song. As a straight teenager living in an area densely populated with homophobes and hypocritical Christians, I blast this song in my car as I ride downtown to let people know what’s up.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:59am
  6. You are a warrior. God Bless ya!

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:43am
  7. Thank you very much!

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:51am
  8. Good on you man!

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 8:30am
  9. Excellent :)

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 8:36am
  10. You are clearly a great person. I respect ya. :)

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:53am
  11. Love this song!!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:59am
  12. Same love is the great song

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:00am
  13. Is mackamore or Ryan lewis gay? I haven’t heard this song yet

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:00am
  14. They're allies, but the chorus singer, Mary Lambert, is gay. I'd say the video is better than the music, but to each their own. I like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:02am
  15. Mary Lambert took their song from a ZERO to a HERO because of her chorus.. I'm sorry but I think Macklemore is riding the wave of gay rights for Success and $$$.. Mary Lambert is the deserving artist!

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 2:26pm
  16. Love you guys!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:02am
  17. Just saw them in concert last night! That song made me cry its so awesome!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:02am
  18. Excellent song, and great performers.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:03am
  19. Well deserved. Such a powerful song! “No freedom til we’re equal. Damn right I support it.”

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:03am
  20. No, he’s very supportive, for our rights,,I just love him he’s a good man.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:03am
  21. good song :) <3

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:04am
  22. YAY!!!!!!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:06am
  23. This song is hypocritical. It talks about stereotypes, and then goes on to stereotype modern christians and conservatives. I’m a catholic and conservative and a member of the GSA and wholeheartedly support gay rights- how is it right Macklemore gets to stereotype others?

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:07am
  24. At no point in the song does Macklemore stereotype Christianity at large. Here are the only lyrics pertaining to Christians: The right-wing conservatives think it's a decision And you can be cured with some treatment and religion Man-made, rewiring of a pre-disposition, playing God Ahh, nah, here we go America the brave still fears what we don't know And "God loves all his children" is somehow forgotten But we paraphrase a book written thirty-five hundred years ago ... Live on! And be yourself! When I was in church they taught me something else If you preach hate at the service, those words aren't anointed That Holy Water that you soak in has been poisoned ... The narrator of the song (who may or may not be based on the personal experience of Macklemore and/or Lambert) is speaking directly toward the theists who "preach hate at the service," not to Christians at large. In fact, it is entirely possible he's singing specifically about Mars Hill Church, a fiercely conservative, cult-like evangelical megachurch based in Seattle, the same location as where Macklemore and Mary Lambert were raised. Lambert has spoken of attending that church and being driven to tears by the hatred preached there toward LGBT people, hence her lyric, "not crying on Sundays."

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:05am
  25. I’m so glad. Such an amazing song. <3

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:07am
  26. Such a great song and they were AMAZING in concert!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:09am
  27. The Heist is a good CD all around!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:16am
  28. I’m sooooo exciting for that <3<3<3

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:20am
  29. Well deserved, and hopefully a victory

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:23am
  30. i am transgender women living in libya oh my its very scary risky place for lgbt people i dont know how to help my self i talked with hrw activist and for my bad luck she had homophobia and transphobia as she never accept to meet me fuckin arab women so evil

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:27am
  31. They did that song for popularity. Hate the music of today. If you guys like the song It’s whatever I don’t judge.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:27am
  32. Macklemore got the inspiration for the song during a campaign for Washington Referendum 74, which would either approve or reject the bill that legalized same sex marriages in his home state (it ended up approving). He also wrote it out of frustration with the hip hop community's positions on homosexuality (most of them seem to be homophobic pricks). He was quoted saying, "Misogyny and homophobia are the two acceptable means of oppression in hip hop culture. It's 2012. There needs to be some accountability. I think that as a society we're evolving and I think that hip hop has always been a representation of what's going on in the world right now." Maybe all of this is a lie and he actually doesn't give a shit about the LGBT community and he only wanted attention. Or maybe he's actually a decent human being who wrote a song based on his personal feelings and wanted to show his support. Besides, his song "Thrift Shop" was a number one hit several months before Same Love became a hit. He was already popular. I'm thankful there's one more person to add to the small number of prominent people in hip hop that openly support the LGBT community. Any support is better than nothing!

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 6:09am
  33. also all the money that was made by the song went to the fight Referendum 74 in Washington state. Plus his uncle is gay and that why he song tall about it.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 7:49pm
  34. Wish I could like this a thousand times over! LOVE this song!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:33am
  35. Great song!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:35am
  36. best song…

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:36am
  37. I love this song. I love Macklemore for his support. I love the message this song gives and i love the idea of a modern day rapper being an ally

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:09am
  38. I love this song!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:12am
  39. just love that song…

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:37am
  40. That is AWESOME!!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:59am
  41. Very Well Deserved!!!!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 6:34am
  42. OMG I <3 that song.. I fell in love with it from the wedding scene on the Fosters

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 8:52am
  43. I hope they win!!! Please God…let them win!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:19am
  44. Sooo hope they win it!!! AMAZING song with strong beautiful message.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:20am
  45. Hope they win

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:30pm
  46. Great song? Video clip cannot be played outside the US (because of copyright reasons). Still got them tiresome adverts though!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:36pm
  47. This song make me cry

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:25pm
  48. As a gay artist who had to be someone I wasn’t to be heard..Thank You for this song!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:11pm
  49. YESSS! :D Love this song, Macklemore is a great rapper, to the point where I’m a fan and I don’t even usually like rap bar a few artists. I heard Same Love at work a few weeks ago and actually cried :D

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:15pm
  50. A white straight person making money and fame off defining the LGBTQA agenda and they give him an award. FML.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:22pm
  51. I hate that song. It’s just more artists trying to make money off the gay community

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:29pm