Elton John dedicates Moscow concert to slain gay Russian, calls anti-gay law ‘inhumane’

Friday, December 6, 2013

MOSCOW — British pop artist Sir Elton John, performing in Moscow on Friday evening, criticized the Russian government’s recent passage of anti-gay laws, calling them “inhumane” and “isolating.”

AP (File)Elton John

AP (File)
Elton John

In a statement read on stage, John dedicated his concert to the memory of Vladislav Tornovoy, a 23-year-old Russian man who was beaten, sodomized with a beer bottle, and murdered earlier this year after his attackers allegedly learned he was gay.

“You took me to your hearts all these years ago and you’ve always welcomed me with warmth and open arms every time I’ve visited. You have always embraced me and you have never judged me. So I am deeply saddened and shocked over the current legislation that is now in place against the LGBT community here in Russia.

“In my opinion, it is inhumane and it is isolating. People have demanded that because of this legislation, I must not come here to Russia. But many, many more people asked me to come and I listened to them. I love coming here.

“I want to show them and the world that I care and that I don’t believe in isolating people. Music is a very powerful thing. It brings people together irrespective of their age, their race, their sexuality, or their religion. It does not discriminate.

“Look around you tonight. You see men, women, young and old, gay and straight. Thousands of Russian people enjoying the music. We’re all here together in harmony and harmony is what makes a happy family and a strong society.

“The spirit we share tonight is what builds a future of equality, love and compassion for my children and for your children. Please don’t leave it behind when you leave tonight. Each and every one of you please, keep this spirit in your life and in your heart. I wish you love and peace and health and happiness.

“And this show is dedicated to the memory of Vladislav Tornovoy.”

Watch:

Ealier this year, John has said he wanted to perform in Russia to support the Russian LGBT community.

“As a gay man, I can’t leave those people on their own without going over there and supporting them. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’ve got to go,” he told British media.

In addition to the Moscow performance, he is scheduled to perform in Kazan on Saturday.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Arts & Entertainment

1. pig…making that cheddar either way..wish she wuld retire

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:42am
  2. fuck off ran, you are disgusting

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:44am
  3. no John she is and as a fan I would assume you are..so Fuck you back you awful shill for Russias money

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:45am
  4. and from your pic your ugly on the outside just like the inside

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:45am
  5. i dont think he should be there in the first place..

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:46am
  6. exactly

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:46am
  7. @ran dazzle if you not a fan of sir elton john then why are you on this thread answer me that?

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:49am
  8. because this LGBTQ Nations page and I want to point out what a whore for money he is..But thanks for asking Theron

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:50am
  9. sir Elton please more like madame elton

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:51am
  10. Ran, until you can voice your opinion (which is everyone's right) with intelligence and maturity, I suggest you stay quiet. You will never get anyone to listen to what you have to say, whether you are for or against gays, if you resort to calling people infantile names and using ignorant slurs. It just shows just how hateful you are. And why are you so hateful? How does someone else's choice of how they want to live or love affect you? As long as it's a choice between consenting adults, why would you care? The only thing the LGBTQ community is trying to do is have the same rights as everyone else. The right to marry...the right to protection...the right of same pay/jobs...the right to not be discriminated against...the right to not be beaten or killed just because they are gay. Why is that such a problem for you? Why does it make you angry that someone who is a very well known and influentialperson goes out of their way to let a government know that the world is watching and it's wrong to treat humans this way?? These are the true questions you should be asking yourself. How would you like it if the roles were reversed and people started discriminating against you for the choices you make? Put yourself in someone else's shoes and try to empathize on how it would feel if you were on the receiving end of this hate you are spewing. I would hope you would feel differently.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:21am
  11. Listen, nimrod, sexuality and gender are not the same thing. You don't become a woman by being a gay male. Fuck off.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 2:36am
  12. наконец я могу иметь надежду на родине! I feel a bit more accepted in the motherland now!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:44am
  13. Wow! It’s nice to acknowledge the injustice but I would have preferred for Elton John to stay out of there.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:45am
  14. I think his message is more powerful being in Russia. Pretty brave.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:03am
  15. then why did he take the money? answer me that

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:46am
  16. He doesn't need the money...I can guarantee you that. But all the people who help put on the show do. It's not free to set up all the lights, sound equipment, musical instruments, pay the roadies, security, hotel rooms, etc etc etc....Elton has done MANY concerts where he doesn't receive a penny. He donates MILLIONS to different causes. Do some more research and learn before you go thundering forward with your hate campaign.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:25am
  17. Ran, your a piece of vile scum. The motherland is hard enough to love in without your hate. I live in Moscow and still respect my country for what it is. ебать вы мудак

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:47am
  18. How long until you rusky shitbags start throwing gay men in concentration camps?

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:25am
  19. The Whole of Russia is just FULL OF HATRED...Your country is going backwards in time. Very sad.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:21am
  20. It is important to hate the corrupt government and the mindless hate filled people of Russia, not all people of Russia... It has taken me a while to mature to this level. Not even a few months ago I would hate everything about the place. For instance Texas...But there are good people in Texas, and gays in Texas, and they love living there... So I guess my point in all of this, is that while the governments and any people may be corrupt, we should not let that hatred blind us to the love and good people still found in these places... We are not going to make Russia or Texas better by hating them. We tried that. It was called the cold war and the civil war... Hatred should only be the tool of those who truly are on the side against humanity such as Texas Republicans and these anti-gay Russians. We already know the best ways to defeat these often elitist selfish misguided assholes. The tools are intelligence, money, and love. So while I would have once agreed with Joels comment, and while we should definetly be aware of Russia and what they are capable of and should bar them from doing anything even remotely close to what Nazi Germany once did to us, we can not forget that the best way to fight wars and win these days is not through hatred as these cowards in Russia and Texas do it, but with some amount of maturity, passion, and the previously mentioned tools...

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:25pm
  21. Live*

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:47am
  22. Bravo Sir Elton

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:51am
  23. Just respect him and shut the fuck up

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:52am
  24. I agree he never should of done the concert we all backed out he should’ve to I love and admire him just worked with him on thanksgiving special but no reason for him to have gone

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:53am
  25. He crossed a picket line.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:54am
  26. Go Sir Elton !!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:55am
  27. Ran’s comments are very sexist and transphobic.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:58am
  28. PERFECT SINER INWHOLE WORLD THOMAS DEN

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:59am
  29. lol.. up yours Russia.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:00am
  30. @jessicafireballHershey What’s wrong with Russia?

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:03am
  31. Ran’s way of stating his opinion is extreme. Attacking someone’s looks or calling them a female pronoun in a derogatory way is both sexist and self hating. BUT he has a point. Elton should have cancelled his Russian concerts. That would have made a bigger statement. Isolate Russia.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:03am
  32. Someone is jealous, notice how he keeps referring to Elton as female. Ran, get over yourself. You’re making a mockery of gays.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:04am
  33. You all know that simply by making that statement he can be arrested in Russia.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:05am
  34. Not everyone want to make huge statements. I sure as hell don’t see any of you doing anything.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:06am
  35. Just goes to show that gays are just as judgemental and hypocritical as the rest. Look at the comments.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:07am
  36. Please. He’s so famous that they wouldn’t dare arrest him and give expose their archaic laws to the mainstream. Don’t be so naive.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:07am
  37. Well That’s impressive by Elton’s Standards and Well deserved ! BOYCOTT Putin’s Russia and All who Support and Profiteer from this Regime of Terror !!! ;o(

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:08am
  38. I have so much respect for him <3

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:14am
  39. They will just not let him back in like they did with lady gaga and Madonna

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:14am
  40. Way to go Elton.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:17am
  41. Why is he performing in Moscow? He should not be there. The anti-gay laws are inhumane. No one should visit Russia until the government there stops this hatred. I won’t even watch the Olympics.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:21am
  42. He would have made more news if he had cancelled the concert, never to return.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:22am
  43. Go Elton!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:24am
  44. I very highly commend, Sir Elton John, for having the gumption and bravery, to stand up against the Russian government! That took balls!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:24am
  45. Russia is SUCH a shit hole now :/

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:25am
  46. Bravo Sir Elton John!!!!!!!…..

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:35am
  47. I doubt Putin will learn anything , he is just a thug and dictator form old KGB days. So happy Elton John is highlighting the cruleity of Gays in Russia!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:43am
  48. Russia is homophobic but I’m glad to live here. I wouldn’t know how to live the way other countries do. But I REALLY want to move to the US to be with my fiancée

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 1:55am
  49. There is no "American" way to live really, and that is what I like about our nation. However, that is also why there is such disloyalty to the American worker these days... Oh well, take the good with the bad I suppose. I love New York State, it is such an interesting place. Although it is sad to see everything we could have here, but for lack of investment, or care we are sort of trapped in this very very slow but gradual decline...perhaps one day people like me will get us on the up and up again...

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:27pm
  50. that was beautiful ! I totally support the cause …………..every human needs to be free from abuse from family to society. we have come so far , there is still more people that need to stand up for human rights for all …..end of oppression and peace for all who walk on this earth with respect and not to feel like a victim. The days of brutal treatment against the Gay and Lesbian community has shifted from being a victim to having the legal rights to take hate crimes and abuses to court and stopping the violent acts legally. It is not ok to hit or push a person WHAT SO EVER …..never regardless of race, sexual identity , no exceptions .

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 2:00am
  51. If he comes to Japan, wanna have tickets

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 2:05am
  52. Inhumane at best.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 2:23am
  53. The US should grant asylum to gay Russians

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 2:26am
  54. I’m disappointed that his love of money overruled his common sense. Performing there and then speaking out against their law is nothing other than hypocrisy! I have lost respect for him.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 2:37am
  55. That speech was beautiful and hopefully one day all that work so many people put in equality everywhere will shine through for Russians as well!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:42am
  56. hmmm he didn’t mind when Eminem called us fags…

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:06am
  57. God bless my friend for life Elton John. I pray for his safety every minute he is there.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:46am
  58. Voila ce qui doit être dit. Merci Elton.o

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:17am
  59. You Go Elton…:-)

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 5:19am
  60. Beautiful!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 6:02am
  61. Shared

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 7:43am
  62. If you’re gonna be a world icon, especially in the 80′s before “gay acceptance” was “acceptable”, I would have prefered Elton John to be there. <3 ya home queen (I know he’s English). Make the world believe in a peaceful world. WERQ!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 8:27am
  63. (y)

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 8:59am
  64. Shocked but not surprised elton John is just after the money & his little speech won’t get anywhere in Russia as Putin & his bigoted regime are returning back to the dark day’s of communism & Putin been a former kgb agent means he doesn’t give a shit about anyone else but himself & how much corruption & money he can make for himself

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:31am
  65. Did he also donate some of his profit to local LGBT groups?

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:11pm
  66. WOW!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 3:22pm
  67. FAIL! Bigger Statement Is Not Going And Stating Why. Not Going Getting Huge Payout And Then Claiming The Concert Is For A Murdered Gay Youth. Elton Once Again Proves His Only Concern As Ever Is Elton. The Gay Elite Are Disgusting As They Either Perform For Our Oppressors And Say Nothing Or Perform For Our Oppressors And Talk Out Their Asses. He Could Of Even Gone, Refused To Perform Once There And Then Held An International Press Conference On The Matter. Don’t Commend An Asshole For Farting. But Then He Performed For Rush Limbaugh So Principals Seem Lost On Elle.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 4:33pm