Poll: Republicans more tolerant of students wearing Confederate flag over rainbow flag

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A new poll finds that Republicans are more tolerant of high school students wearing a Confederate battle flag to school than they are of students wearing a gay pride (rainbow) flag to school.

flags-1The poll by Raleigh, N.C.-based based Public Policy Polling last week, which primarily focused on prospective presidential candidates for the 2016 elections, found that 43 percent of GOP respondents said wearing the Confederate flag was acceptable, compared to only 28 percent who said wearing the rainbow flag was acceptable.

The poll prompted immediate public reaction, including a harsh rebuke of its results by Washington Post political columnist Jonathan Capehart, who called the Confederate flag “no better than a Swastika.”

“It is a symbol of white supremacy, hate and oppression that has no place in American political discourse,” wrote Capehart. “Meanwhile, the rainbow that is the gay pride flag symbolizes inclusion and acceptance.”

“The rainbow flag is the very antithesis of the Confederate flag. That the latter is deemed more acceptable than the former is deplorable,” he wrote.

The Confederate battle flag, so named as it was designed in 1861 by Confederate General Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard, replaced the Confederate national ensign known as the “Stars and Bars” because its close resemblance to the U.S. Stars and Stripes caused confusion for troops on both sides of the U.S. civil war.

Display of the battle flag has generally been fraught with racial tension, particularly after it was co-opted by elements of the Klu Klux Klan and other white supremacy groups, who often used it to intimidate minority groups after the civil war and up to the present day.

Many black Americans view the Confederate flag as display as distasteful and symbolic of racism, while others — principally white southerners, and others — view the flag as a “heritage” issue regarding southern states’ rights and the history of the “war between the states,” defending its use a memorial to southern troops lost in battle.

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this report indicated “American” voters, when in fact the poll question relating to the Confederate flag versus the rainbow pride flag, was asked only to voters who identified as Republican.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. i beg to differ

Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 11:58pm
  2. I doubt it. My high school's dress code didn't ban the Confederate flag but banned "gay symbols and propaganda" on clothing.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:08am
  3. Someone should come up with a Confederate Rainbow flag! :-D

Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 11:59pm
  4. File:Confederate LGBT Flag.svg

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:04am
  5. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Confederate_LGBT_Flag.svg

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:05am
  6. I would wear that!

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:07am
  7. has been done http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bfae553ef01901e2daacd970b-popup

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:07am
  8. Oh friggin' rock on!!! I can get my gay red-neck on!!! <3

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:07am
  9. i second this

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:15am
  10. they already have them

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:21am
  11. Uh, NO

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:57am
  12. I said that too! make all the stars different colors.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:59am
  13. yeah but where can you buy one? lol

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:00am
  14. Confederate flag just screams white trash and bigot.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:47am
  15. isn't the confederate flag the flag of an antique country that was pro-slavery? Excuse me for my bad english and my lack of US history knowledge.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:59am
  16. Guess the South is rising again!

Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 11:59pm
  17. Then the "South" will lose again lmao

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:02am
  18. Not all of us who live in southern states believe in that flag. I live in Virginia but I am in full support of equality for everyone which as far as I know no one else in my family supports equality due to one side being totally against it. If that makes me the black sheep so be it.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:11am
  19. Look where it’s worn. No wonder they’d say that.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:00am
  20. sigh.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:00am
  21. well that’s stupid

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:00am
  22. “It’s about states rights!” To own slaves. That flag is inappropriate and hateful.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:02am
  23. Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:03am
  24. hang the confederate upside down and at half staff forever for ALL those african American lynched beaten-to death-and branded down south! we should brand some white farmers!to know which antebellum homes they belong to!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:03am
  25. Uhhh how would you know when the confederate flag is hung upside down? :-D --- and most white people down here did not own slaves. They were poor white trash dirt farmers.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:09am
  26. that is true did not think of that!!thanks for pointing it out!

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:11am
  27. Ummm, the Confederate flag is exactly the same when hung upside down. That way stupid Southern racists can't get it wrong!

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:14am
  28. While it is true that most white people did not own slaves, a vast majority of white people in the south (and to be fair a good number in the north) were OK with the lynchings because it kept "uppity niggers" in their place. The youngsters today have no idea how much courage it took for Rosa Parks to defy a white person in the south. Luckily she was only arrested. She could have been killed.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:26am
  29. "The youngsters today have no idea". I dont know, being gay opens your eyes to this hellhole. Kids my age jumping off bridges and killing themselves because of the shitty right wing nation....

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:16am
  30. Not to mention the lynchings of us queers as well. Trust me, we get it. Some of us cant hide our "queerness" any more than our skin color.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:35am
  31. If you think you have it bad for being queer, Imagine being queer AND black

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:59am
  32. Tsk tsk, such hatred there Priyadarshi Datta. Were those statements something your had to memorize for your citizen test? [Assuming you are a citizen that is].

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:17am
  33. Disgusting gay people condoning this bigoted right-wing flag.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:48am
  34. I'm gay my comments is meant at those supporting it.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:48am
  35. Take a poll in the right wing south and you will get right wing southern favor. Stir the pot with half truths is stirring the pot with lies.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:03am
  36. This is NOT OKAY. NOT. OKAY.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:04am
  37. seems like the Confederate flag is the height of treason and traitors. Definitely NOT patriotic or American. The South LOST. Why would you just keep reliving that humiliation and failure? I always think…LOSER! when I see that flag on someone’s vehicle.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:04am
  38. I'm in America's south, but I'm a proud American. I think the Confederate states were being immature.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:55am
  39. idiots!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:04am
  40. sick

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:04am
  41. That’s scary

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:05am
  42. Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:06am
  43. Unfortunately, that flag is flown at many houses I’ve seen in the south.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:06am
  44. A poll taken in N.C. is supposed to represent the views of all America…

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:07am
  45. good detail

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:07am
  46. John its Republicans that are surveyed and every poll shows the majority of conservatives/Republicans as homophobic and their politicians more than mirror that view with their anti-gay laws etc...

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:51am
  47. I see no problem with the Confederate flag being so widely accepted but it pains me to see not that many people accepting the rainbow flag

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:07am
  48. The Confederate flag is the flag of slavery. Do you have a problem with the oppression, torture, and killing of black people simply because they are black?

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:12am
  49. I do, but remember that any flag is a SYMBOL and people will interpret them in their own ways for example the Confederate soldiers interpreted as a symbol of Economic Liberty as do I.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:20am
  50. The American government was responsible for the genocide of Native Americans and today drone strikes murder hundreds in Pakistan does that mean the US flag represents murder to those people but to us is a sybol of patriotism see what I mean

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:37am
  51. If you really understood what the confederate battle flag represents and especially for Blacks, I don't think you'd find it any more acceptable that than burning a cross or a symbol of Nazi Germany...and, yes our stars and bars have at times been a symbol of murder and imperialism....it's just a historical fact. that's the point, we need to reject symbolism when it is based on bias, racism and inhumanity. The Confederate Battle Flag had nothing to do with economics and everything to do with preserving slavery and denial of basic human rights to entire gourp of people.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:03am
  52. The question begs…”Which Americans?”

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:08am
  53. Not surprised…the Confederate flag has a much longer and deeper history that generated strong passions that swallowed up an entire nation and almost ended its existence as we knew it.

The rainbow flag is a much newer invention, and sadly, the animus for LGBT people despite our societal gains and acceptance still runs deep, especially, I supposed in states that seceded to form the Confederacy.

That being said, the rainbow flag will continue to generate strong passions, but one that for most of us brings love and unity more than animus. The animus will fade with succeeding generations as more and more people become enlightened and will accept and celebrate us as we are.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:08am
  54. Ain’t that some shyt

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:08am
  55. Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:09am
  56. Its incredibly sad and depressing that people would rather wrap themselves up in ignorance and intolerance,instead love and tolerance. :(

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:09am
  57. F U American hillbillies..

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:09am
  58. that is the flag of traders.. the south,s flag….. Go Gay pride…

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:10am
  59. Disturbing.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:10am
  60. gays

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:11am
  61. i still don’t know why anyone in their right mind would want to fly the confederate flag and all the evil it represents. The only flag of theirs that ever really meant something good was the white one.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:12am
  62. t remember that any flag is a SYMBOL and people will interpret them in their own ways for example the Confederate soldiers interpreted as a symbol of Economic Liberty as do I.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:46am
  63. well your a moron lol. its a symbol of redneck bigots, the only people who fly it are such people.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:45am
  64. What LGBTQNATION fails to realize is the “Confederate vs. Gay” flag question was only asked of REPUBLICAN voters.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:12am
  65. The high school I went to the Confederate flag was the school flag. The football team bullied the only black person at the school until she left and once they got done with her they focused on the only out girl there. That was me. While some of them are very loving people most of the time they are not.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:13am
  66. sad state of our growth as a people.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:14am
  67. At least we will be more easily able to identify the bigots and racists.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:14am
  68. I fucking hate this country

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:14am
  69. Me too

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:59am
  70. of course, they are red-neck punks

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:14am
  71. I’d be interested to see the demographics of the sample. The 28% figure for the rainbow flag doesn’t conform to typical national acceptance rates for the LGBT community, which leads me to believe there was bias in sampling.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:15am
  72. The poll was for only Republicans.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:54am
  73. That’s fucked up!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:17am
  74. I don’t want the rainbow flag to ever be associated with the racist confederate flag…we are better than that!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:19am
  75. This makes me sad.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:20am
  76. Jason

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:20am
  77. Don’t really see how this poll is relevant to anything. I’m transgender and have no beef with the confederate flag nor should I. Really neither should anyone else for that matter concerning the rainbow flag or any other flag for that matter. While the confederate union jack stands for a dissolved rebel nation that has since been reconstituted back into the union as well as outdated social beliefs which brought with it past atrocities. Whenever I see it I just don’t give a fuck. To me the past is the past. People can fly whatever they want to fly either it be a flag for a social group such as the trans-flag, free love such as the rainbow flag, their kink of interest as the leather flag is, their nation of origin such as the Irish, Canadian, British or Mexican flag or even what they associate with on any level albeit it belief or historical relevance to them such as the old soviet or confederate flags. To be honest, I actually wonder how much of that tolerance is actual support for what we associate today with the confederate flag or exactly what I just said here tonight. My bits are on the latter.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:21am
  78. youre the only smart person here

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:41am
  79. this is true, and the sad thing is a lot of blacks would tolerate the confederate flag over the rainbow flag.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:21am
  80. I live in NC and I went to a all white school and I wore the gay flag and the confederate flag Southern Pride and Gay Pride all the way 100% and still to this day I have lots of supporters for both causes

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:23am
  81. Shame

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:23am
  82. The confederate flag is disgusting in my own opinion. I rather see a (pastal) rainbow flag instead.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:24am
  83. Who cares?

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:24am
  84. People need to start voting the bigoted nuts out of office.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:24am
  85. Unfortunately, that will not change anything

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:00am
  86. Then be silent while others advocate for your rights

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:11am
  87. It's gonna take a LOT more to change things than simply voting out bigots. Did the election of Obama change anything in America?????

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:12am
  88. Yes, I can be screened for cancer without going hungry. My friend can get health coverage. If Romney won he would do a federal ban on abortion as well as gay marriage etc. Today's fights no different than 100 years ago or in 1870 when we had no rights as women.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:16am
  89. Obama made this country WORSE

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:22am
  90. Obamacare is gonna be a TERRIBLE thing for many many people and keep in mind that even with Obama in office it still isn't going to erase any homophobia out there and as you see, there's STILL a lot of states out there that gays can't marry in

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:23am
  91. You can't have change over night. I live in the bible belt. There'll always be bigots, homophobia will always be around just as racism and prejudices. I didn't say it was good for the nation. Mandating it is a complete disaster. The majority can't afford to use it even with preventive services. Once you find out Youre sick Youre fucked. The more people speak the better it gets. Slavery as well didn't die on its own here. 34 states left for equality is better than none.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:32am
  92. kanye rocks the confederate flag. it removes the powerful hate that the symbol represents

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:27am
  93. No, that just makes him look like a dumbass

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:25am
  94. does anyone wonder??.whenever there are comments from americans for example on youtube videos with lgbt-topic, those are homophobic, bigot andd full of religious shit. sorry, but straight americans dont seem so different from russian straight people….i mean americas anti-gay character still shows in so many states and its no different from the russian homophobia, if not worse.and thats the “T”!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:30am
  95. the confederate flag…flag of traitors, I never understand the reason to tolerate it.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:31am
  96. We need to tell those folks – you lost the north won. GET OVER IT!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:32am
  97. Are you really surprised by this? Just take a moment and examine the opposition to President Obama and all that he proposes!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:32am
  98. you say love Obama but whatdoes he propose that you like because nothin he proposes sees great to me

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:50am
  99. From the link to the poll:
    “PPP surveyed 649 American voters, including an oversample of 400 usual Democratic primary voters and 629 Republican primary voters, from October 29th to 31st, 2013. The margin of error for the overall survey is +/- 3.8%, +/-4.9% for the Democratic portion, and +/-3.9% for the GOP portion. PPP’s surveys are conducted through automated telephone interviews.”
    The over sample could account for some of the wonkiness. Also, it included voters, who tend to be older and thus less likely to support gay rights. It’s not unreasonable to believe that a poll of the general 18+ population would yield significantly different results.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:34am
  100. damn

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:35am
  101. I find both of them disrespectful. Respect and harm none.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:36am
  102. this is too sad

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:37am
  103. that is shocking

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:37am
  104. Also, the article completely failed to mention the other stats, including those responding “not sure”. I urge you to read the poll that the article refers to. And please note that it is **not** a sample of the general population.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:39am
  105. Not ME!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:43am
  106. More proof–if we need any—that ignorance reigns supreme!..beck

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:43am
  107. That is disgusting! The confederate flag is a sign of hatred and bigotry.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:43am
  108. That’s pretty telling isn’t it?

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:44am
  109. We aren’t more tolerant. We’re sick of listening to the idiotic excuses for their actions.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:46am
  110. Now that is effed up!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:46am
  111. I give up, lol

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:47am
  112. I WEAR BOTH AND PROUDLY

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:50am
  113. What is telling is that most people here in this thread don’t realize that many southerners don’t consider the civil war about slavery but about state’s rights. Symbols evolve. What was the cross before it was a Christian symbol? What was the pink triangle before it was a gay rights symbol? If you don’t know, go educate yourselves.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:52am
  114. So true.

Replied on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:54am
  115. Sad

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:53am
  116. *republicans, they asked republicans

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:56am
  117. Bad parenting, delivers bad kids and then worse grownups.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:58am
  118. The South will never rise again. Living in Alabama, I can tell you the ignorance and hatred here is far to great for any good to come from the South.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:59am
  119. I wonder what people would do if I wore a Swastika flag to a public school. Probably kick me out instantly. :P Sad that America is still this intolerant.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:59am
  120. As a gay man who came up with the rainbow flag .it is not me I do like the Canfederate flag

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:04am
  121. Gross!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:07am
  122. Such an abomination! What the phuck?!? This poll must have been taken in the south. I’m on the west coast and don’t know of one single person who would agree with this shit!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:09am
  123. So, since HI’s license plate is a rainbow, shouldn’t Same Sex Unions be okay? Seriously, they are the Gay Island! Pretty sure if we combined the Confederat flag with the Rainbow, most of the South would leave for HI! LOL

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:09am
  124. Why can’t we just have both? Seriously, I’ll bet there’s little overlap between the 28 percent who accept the rainbow flag and the 43 percent who accept the confederate flag. And guess which group is winning the debate?

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:10am
  125. That’s fucked up and I can’t imagine it could be true. Really? Right on TJay- I feel the same way.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:11am
  126. :’(

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:13am
  127. not all americans.. this is more likely in the south

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:13am
  128. Probably because people don’t remember what the confederate flag actually stands for.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:15am
  129. Gaak! NOOOOO!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:15am
  130. I’m supporting the Rainbow Flag. !!! The Confederate flag always stands for hatred towards the people that are different. So, I’m supporting the Rainbow Flag, The American Flag, The Canadian Flag, And The United Kingdom Flag. Because the Fags that I support all stands for Love, Exceptions towards different people, Togetherness, and also Family, Friends, and Freedom. I’m from the Northeast as well, but I currently live in the Southeast. And all that I have to say is The Northeast For Life, and All the Way Baby !!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:16am
  131. Hatred is more popular than love? That’s sad!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:21am
  132. Well fucking done.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:21am
  133. So….basically the polls confirm our already sneaking suspicion that there are more bigots out there than not? Wow, your tax dollars at work.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:32am
  134. This poll seems very shady.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:33am
  135. Rainbow flags all the way!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:33am
  136. So, more tolerant of racisim than freedom to choose.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:46am
  137. Why can’t people just over the fact that some people are different. Just because we’re homosexual doesn’t make us any less of a human being. It shouldn’t matter what your race, sexuality, religion, etc. is, but who you are and how you act toward others. A good person can be of any race, religion, sexuality, social class, whatever. I wish we could all just learn acceptance.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:46am
  138. Americans like the drama of hate more than the peace of love.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:47am
  139. Im not surprised. There is no such thing as straight guys who support gay marriage. They ALL hate us and want us dead. We need to fight them

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:48am
  140. The confederate flag doesn’t stand for slavery as explicitly as the rainbow flag does for gay rights. It can also work for regional pride.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:50am
  141. How about no flags..

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:51am
  142. I say, wear both! Conflicting messages are always best! Like, “I am proud of my Southern heritage, just please don’t kill me, drag my lifeless body behind your pickup truck and tie me to a fence.”

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:56am
  143. This is a surprise ? America was built on the backs of slaves and the blood of native peoples! Hate is in its blood to this day . Gays unite and never give up the fight for justice and equality peace be with you. It’s going to be a long road to freedom for us!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:59am
  144. WELL, I think….blah blah blah blah blah blah

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:10am
  145. Of course because this country teaches hatred, how to be a real gangster and oppression. It has for centuries. Is anyone really surprised by this? I think the inquiry is redundant. I find that when it comes right down to it, not even Gay people really care what happens to gay people. Unless it is someone who actually personally feels the hatred first hand, THEN they might start to care. Otherwise it’s business as usual, just turn the other cheek. We all hate each other in America, always have, always will.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:11am
  146. not surprising!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:11am
  147. pretty sad

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:13am
  148. DUH!!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:17am
  149. both should be ok

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:19am
  150. The Confederate flag is so fucked up. I can’t believe your statement is true.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:19am
  151. Cuz teenagers are dumber and don’t know what the CONFEDERATE FLAG MEANS!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:22am
  152. Someone needed a poll to figure that out?

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:27am
  153. Unfortunately there are many people that don’t realize what the confederate flag REALLY stands for.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:38am
  154. Well said Alyssa, I met a guy once who said he wanted a tattoo of a confederate flag because it stood for rebellion but he didn’t want pekoe thinking he was pro-slavery. I asked him why he doesn’t just get a tattoo of a Betsy Ross flag, as that also stood for rebellion. He said he had never even though of that.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:42am
  155. They’ve been raised by hate, passed down generations!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:42am
  156. not surprising

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:47am
  157. I like the rainbows better

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:52am
  158. where did you do this poll? Mississippi? try doing it in Massachusetts.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:58am
  159. I want a Rainbow Confederate Flag :)

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:59am
  160. One flag symbolizes a system of slavery and race hatred- the other , rainbow flag, symbolizes unity through diversity …. wearing a Confederate Flag does NOT make ANYONE cool, or, interesting– it makes them BIGOTS!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:59am
  161. it’s the south….does this surprise anyone?

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:06am
  162. WoW!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:11am
  163. Ahh, the usual ignorance and hypocrisy have been displayed here once again. People claiming to be loving and tolerant, yet calling everyone in the South bigots, racists, hillbillies, rednecks, uneducated, and every other insult they can think of. It sounds to me like you guys are the ones making generalizations about an entire group of people. And your so-called bastions of gay freedom like New York are experiencing a wave of anti-gay hate crimes, yet I have never had anyone even look at me the wrong way here in the South where I have lived for 26 years despite not hiding my sexuality. To be honest, I’d prefer to live here in the South than amongst you pretentious, self-absorbed elitists anyway. That’s not to say I don’t share some of your criticisms of the South. But I’ve lived here for over a quarter of a century and have experienced life here firsthand. If you have never lived here, then shut the fuck up. And it appears that most of you on this thread have never actually opened a history book in your life. The Confederate battle flag does not represent slavery. Like anything else, its image and what it stands for has been twisted by hateful people. The American flag has been flown during many terrible events. It was under this flag that Native Americans were treated less than human. Long before the founding of the Confederacy, slavery existed under the American flag. But the American flag still represents freedom to many oppressed people in this world. This country is a beacon of hope for them, and the American flag symbolizes exactly that. For people in the South, the Confederate battle flag is simply referred to as the “rebel flag.” And that’s all it is meant to represent. The ironic thing is that the rainbow flag is equally a symbol of rebellion. I don’t fly the rebel flag or anything, but I do own a 3′x5′ one, and yet I’m not a racist. I also own plenty of rainbow flags. It really is a bit strange for you all to call the South such a horrible place when it is actually the most welcoming place you could ever visit. I really can’t say the same for the big cities in the North.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:14am
  164. Some days I’m ashamed to be an American!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:29am
  165. Really? I am guessing this is for certain states

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:04am
  166. Not this American.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:09am
  167. The “heritage” ploy is a veiled attempt at making it “OK” to display the rebel flag – it just asks others “Hey, do you hate like I do?” – It should be used as a history reference only, not decor.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:14am
  168. Its true the south has its good and bad folks, but people seem to mind there own business in the country a lot more, I enjoy the south, and I am gay.thank you grant.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:21am
  169. oh WOW!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:31am
  170. What a surprise…

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:38am
  171. That’s because one IS history and the other is MAKING history… making history is never comfortable.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 4:45am
  172. wtf

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 5:07am
  173. Shame!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 5:10am
  174. Somebody blame Kanye! lol

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 5:11am
  175. It should be called the crazy party not the Republican Party. Oh, there the same!!!!lol

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 5:58am
  176. BFD!!!!! Who cares!!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 6:09am
  177. How crazy…. Still so much and prejudice ….

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 6:31am
  178. Yikes!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 6:44am
  179. The confederate flag is a symbol of racism and treason.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 6:57am
  180. Which tells us much about our very stupid society. The Rainbow Flag symbolizes hope and diversity. The Confederate Flag symbolizes cruelty and sedition. There is no honour in the Confederate Flag. But, this is where we have arrived since the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980. Perhaps the GOP should can the elephant and make that shameful flag its party symbol. At least it would be more honest.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 7:59am
  181. WTF? I think I’m going to take some extra-strength Excedrin and go lie down while I absorb this bit of American mania. . .

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 8:09am
  182. what poll?

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 9:20am
  183. Hardly surprising considering one stands for enslavement and the other for freedom. Also, the confederate flag must be popular in the red states of the south and west. Typical…

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 10:09am
  184. excellent! way to go, Merka!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 10:13am
  185. Republicans, not Americans.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 10:19am
  186. Does anyone realize what Confederate means? It means the were against the Republic for which it stands and wanted their own separate nation with it’s own Congress, Constitution, & President. (Jefferson Davis) The reason why the flag is considered hateful to those in the North is primarily because those States had laws making slave labor legal. The Civil War was not about slavery, but it was part of it. The South was angry that the Republican’s were trying to enforce laws they wanted no part in. Abraham Lincoln was the enemy and the greatest threat to the Confederacy. Wgich is why he was asassinated by John Wilkes Booth who lead a group of conspirators who had planned on overthrowing the government.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 10:29am
  187. Maybe some need to educate themselves on the real confederate flag cause this is not it… Scroll to bottom of link for true confed flag… http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/FLAG/confederateflag.htm

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:01pm
  188. fools!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:23pm
  189. only in ‘murica!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:47pm
  190. Shameful

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:04pm
  191. A lot of Southerners are the feisty descendants of the Scots-Irish. Young men especially are reared to be aggressive and live by an honor code. I never fit into that. I’m not even Scots-Irish myself. I’m an atheist Southern gay just living life. There’s a lot more of us down here than some people from other regions or even other countries would believe.

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:56pm
  192. screw just wearing a rainbow flag to school, drive a rainbow school bus to school!!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:23pm
  193. Misleading lead in, not all Americans, just Republican Americans…

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:27pm
  194. Of course they are. Americans well some Americans are still excepting of hate and narrow mindedness. It’s 2013! GET OVER IT!

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:49pm