California

Officials: Brawl between bullies, transgender student possible hate crime

Friday, November 15, 2013

HERCULES, Calif. — A transgender student at a California high school said she was assaulted by three other girls in a transphobic attack captured on cell phone video.

Hercules-High-School-CAAnd while it may appear to be mutual combat in the video, school officials say the fight was a direct result of bullying, and that police and school officials are investigating it as a possible hate crime, reports KGO-TV.

The Hercules High School student said the girls had been verbally harassing her about her gender identity prior to the attack Wednesday afternoon in an outdoor courtyard.

School officials said the transgender student, who complained to school offices about the bullying just two days earlier, had initiated the physical contact, but only after she was again verbally assaulted.

“At one point, just about every member that was involved in the fight ends up on the ground,” Assistant Principal Ken Hickok said. “There was lots of hair pulling, hitting, slapping,” but no serious injuries were reported.

KGO-TV reports:

All four students involved face possible disciplinary action, including suspension or expulsion, for the fight.

School administrators said they hope that talking about the incident will lead to heightened awareness and greater tolerance on campus.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: California

1. and i thought that the youth was suppose to be more tolerable than adults… this is a sad day for california..

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:30pm
  2. We are but if you're raised by psychos you turn out psycho, most of the time. Basic Psych 101

Replied on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:34pm
  3. Woooowwwww again???

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:31pm
  4. When does it end?! Aren’t we supposed to be living in an age of tolerance? Hate grows sooo old. :(

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:35pm
  5. hope they put the girls in jail….then karma

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:35pm
  6. A pre req for the school?

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:39pm
  7. i see it as a hate crime.. and the girls that was bulling the trans student needs to be heavy fined and needs to go to a LGBT counseling .. if thay fail to do any of there reqriments of there sentance then its off to fail or juvnile hall to serve 5 yrs this way they will be made to go to counseling.. and work off there fines in community service while still in custody.. but thats just me and my way of making sure the bitches learn that there NOT GOD and they need to learn .. only GOD can judge .. its not up to then to treat another like shit.. let them be them selves ..

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:39pm
  8. Stop the hate!!

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:43pm
  9. I am not going there, i am not….i have watched the video several times, and they are avoiding one big glaring omission on the attackers vs. the lone transgender person….

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:46pm
  10. I understand what you're trying to say, but that needs to be a secondary concern unless it's shown to be the real underlying issue. This might just be learned ignorance on the part of those other girls, and that can come from anywhere.

Replied on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 9:03pm
  11. true, but i also know it would be all over the place if the situation was reversed.

Replied on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 9:05pm
  12. Might be nice to send along a note of encouragement to the high school for making the right choice on how to handle this. Sickening that it happened – absolutely disgusting.

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:51pm
  13. Possibly?

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:54pm
  14. Im glad the school is taking action no one should have to endure this kind of abuse and if she threw the first punch good for her she doesnt need to take shit from anyone

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:57pm
  15. Awful! Words can’t describe my anger! My daughter is in high school and I’m terrified everyday for her, she is transgender & we keep it under the radar due to haters like these girls. I want her to grow happy , healthy & have a wonderful life….not one in fear. I feel for the girl who was attacked & her parents…heartbreaking.

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:58pm
  16. Bigots abound and it is taught – carefully daily taught to hate in the homes by parents. Why can’t people live and let live? Teach tolerance of those who are different or perceived tobe different.

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 9:01pm
  17. Exactly Shannon jesus Christ can we just arm everyone LGBT and be done with this shit already im so tired of hearing anti LGBT crap all the time

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 9:11pm
  18. Itz about Tyme da Victim fights back, but 4 a group of ppl 2 gang up on 1, is sum cowardly shit!! Fighting is wrong n beating sum1 up 4 who they r is ignorance @ Itz best..They deserve 2 pay 4 their h8′rd n need 2 b charged w/ a H8 Crime.

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 9:15pm
  19. Have you heard of the gay KKK? I heard they hate compassionately.

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 at 11:55pm
  20. I am so glad I hid my orientation till I was 27… the LGBT Community was working for my rights and carried me gently to a safe time for me to come out…I thank you all for that and mainly family, friends and the Gay Hotline in the phonebook when it was time for me…I want to thank Jesus the most because the closest people to me at that time, were humbled by my Savior… not the other way around…:)

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 12:58am
  21. Sad but it will never end. If one of my kids were ever involved in something like this, I would beat their ass. Being gay, transgender, what ever the hell u want to be in the bedroom DOES NOT define who you are as a person. Nothing is going to happen to these kids. They might get kicked out of school for a few days but hell, that’s a vacation for them. I’ve have taught my kids to accept everyone but I will admit my two boys are as anti-gay as they come. My daughter and I are supporting them all the way. Not supporting my boys but anyone who is LBGTQ.

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 2:17am
  22. I know the school is evil and not going to care with their, yet again, b.s. excuses, but it pleases me gay and transgender people are finally fightinh back !

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 3:23am
  23. FIGHT BACK !

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 3:23am
  24. prosecute those bitches if for no other reason than they had to gang up..give me one on one and ill fight all you hoes

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 10:41pm
  25. and their parents too

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 10:42pm
  26. While this is tragic, it could have been much worse, and I am super proud that the offcials are taking this so seriously. The time for hatred and bigotry has passed, people..

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 10:46pm
  27. “possible”?

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 10:47pm
  28. POSSIBLE hate crime? :(

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 11:06pm
  29. Possible hate crime?!

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 11:21pm
  30. They shouldn’t punish the victim.

Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 at 12:41am
  31. this stinks of religious bigotry…

Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 at 1:40am