Macklemore and Ryan Lewis join United Nations’ gay rights campaign

Tuesday, November 26, 2013
APMacklemore and Ryan Lewis

AP
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

UNITED NATIONS — U.S. hip hop artists Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have joined the U.N. Free and Equal Campaign to encourage greater respect for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky announced their support Tuesday.

Macklemore and Lewis are well-known for their song, “Same Love,” which celebrates same-sex relationships, and quickly became an anthem for LGBT equality.

The U.N. Free & Equal Campaign seeks to raise awareness about homophobic and trans-gender-phobic violence and discrimination.

It was launched by U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay in Cape Town, South Africa last July at an event featuring Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu.

Other celebrity supporters include pop star Ricky Martin, South African singer Yvonne Chaka Chaka, Bollywood actress Celina Jaitly, and Brazilian singer Daniela Mercury.

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers, [ Editor's Picks ]

1. He’s probably the best thing to happen to rap in a long time.

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:09pm
  2. What about all the queer rappers who came first? the other straight rappers who expressed support before Macklemore ever did? Oh, wait, I forgot. They were queer and/or often PoC.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:11pm
  3. Kit Mc Whatever. You try to sound so supportive but we all see straight through your real hate.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:15pm
  4. And Kit McBitch STOP USING THE FUCKING WORD QUEER.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:16pm
  5. How would you like it if everyone referred to you as buttfucking whore? I don't think you would like that would you "breeder"?

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:17pm
  6. Uh, dude, I happen to be queer (and kudos for the gendered slur). I don't know if you realize this, but it's not required for all of us to think he farts butterflies and rainbows. I can't stand him. He's being hailed as the cishet savior of queerkind when SO MANY OTHERS have come before him. He's a moderately attractive straight white dude. THAT'S why he gets so much attention.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:25pm
  7. If you can't take my word for it, why don't you check out what Le1f said (a black gay rapper Macklemore kinda stole from, btb). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/29/le1f-gay-rapper-blasts-macklemore_n_3836703.html

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:25pm
  8. And I literally have no idea how my criticism of Macklemore can be interpreted as homophobia. Could you explain that one to me, Hanson?

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:27pm
  9. I can you are rude and an idiot. The word queer is offensive and you should try another word, don't care if you are gay, the word queer is just plain rude. Proves you are hoophobic

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:30pm
  10. I'm black AND gay and I'm not here for this Straight White Hope of hip-hop who is co-opting te struggles of black and queer artists and using them for his own gain.. He is not an ally, he's a mouthpiece.. If he was an ally he's be helping spotlight the black and queer artists who have already been doing this revolutionary work instead of assuming the mantle of Savior of Hip Hop.. It really kills me that people ignore the folks who are actually hip hop in favor of artists like Macklemore who wield their privilege like a weapon instead of letting those who are actually queer or people of color speak their stories for themselves..

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:31pm
  11. Tedesco, there's this thing called "reclaiming slurs". If you're part of the QUILTBAG group, then we can talk about the ethics of that. If you aren't, I don't care about your opinion. And not to mention, that's a critique of my phrasing, not a critique of my critique of Mackelmore.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:40pm
  12. I dont see "queer" as an insult, it originally meant "strange" and "odd" but I dont find it insulting, is it really worth fighting over? Damn.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:43pm
  13. I agree. We're all here for one reason, but of course people will always find a reason to fight. If we can't even get along with each other then the human race is fucked.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:44pm
  14. Dialogue about "queer" has its place. I'm interested in yelling at Macklemore for being a shit ally (sure, he supports same sex marriage, but he's using the social cache (go look at the music4marriage website; it's p telling) and if nothing else his behavior at the VMAs shows his terrible track record; he SHOULD have used it as an opportunity to high light Mary Lambert, as she is an actual lesbian. THAT would have been the behavior of a good ally and not someone mostly interested in cache and his own image).

Replied on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:10am
  15. Kit McGrumpycat you are so right i,m gay and in my opinion allies who are famous only use us to make money off us and this guy is supporting us because his uncle is gay he said it in an interview!

Replied on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 1:02am
  16. Kit anyone attacking our straight allies like Macklemore etc. is a waste of time. He has lots of influence on straight youths in a good way. So will you please stop with this crap ,he is what we need with young people in junior high and high school who bully to hear him So while you want some black,gay ,lesbian,Jewish ,vegan rapper who gets your seal of approval stop stomping on our friends.

Replied on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 5:03am
  17. i love these guys <3

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:09pm
  18. yay!!!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:10pm
  19. I really love these 2 gentlemen!! ❤️ respect has gone through the roof. Plus have amazing music!!

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:11pm
  20. Kit whats poc?

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:13pm
  21. "Person of color". I think it's kind of convenient that society totally forgot Frank Ocean's coming out (at least as a dude who loved another dude; I don't know how he labels himself) and Jay Z's support of him once Macklemore opened his yap.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:31pm
  22. As well as forgetting the likes of Azelia Banks and Le1f and a whole host of other rappers who are both PoC AND queer (for the record, I am actually a queer; otherwise I certainly wouldn't be using the word).

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:33pm
  23. They are awesome

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:14pm
  24. My son Nic Nic Adenau worked on the Same Love video. Now he’s moved on to document LGBT bullied youth. Please help support his worthy cause at LGBT20.com

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:14pm
  25. I knew there was a reason I liked them.

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:15pm
  26. Rich I was gonna say that too lol I just wanted to see where they were going with the poc bit

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:16pm
  27. Thanks for your support. We need more people like you…

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:17pm
  28. Rich they may be British…

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:17pm
  29. God, I remember seeing him in small, local venues around Seattle just a few years ago. Glad he maintained his principals of love, kindness, and compassion even with his fame. It’s great to see him making waves in such a positive way.

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:17pm
  30. Thank you

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:18pm
  31. No :/!

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:19pm
  32. <3

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:19pm
  33. Holier-than-thou bandwagon jumpers… Not that most people would get that…

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:20pm
  34. Love these guys SO much

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:20pm
  35. Rich British english has a different context than american english. I’m truely appalled at the things you just called me. (breeder). You have no right to belittle me and I’m quite sure you are an embarrasment to the movement by displaying such hatred towards me, completely unprovoked as well. People who are truely for equality don’t alienate their straight comrade allies. Your language towards me is unacceptable

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:21pm
  36. Real allies don't ask queer people to discard their feelings in favor of political correctness.. Your place as an ally is to back up the queer people who are oppressed, not seek to ingratiate yourself into an equal spot in the movement.. Allies are support.. You should realize that..

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:33pm
  37. I mean, you're 100% right to call him out for "breeder" (even if he was just trying to make a point), but what Ciara Joy said.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:43pm
  38. I’m kind of in love with Macklemore. <3

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:25pm
  39. thats not new news they have been apart of us for a while now, he was apart of us before the made the sone same love

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:26pm
  40. Kit its still alienation of allies

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:26pm
  41. Ciara Joy already summarized my point.

Replied on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:42pm
  42. If you decide not to be an ally at the fact the person you're "supporting" isn't friendly and bubbly all the time, you're probably a shit ally.

Replied on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 11:30am
  43. Nothing but <3 and respect for these awesome Guys !!!

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:28pm
  44. I’m so not here for Macklemore and his co-opting of the queer and POC struggle while he throws queers AND POC under the bus, and steal their music.. NOPE NOPE NOPE..

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:35pm
  45. And as far as hip hop goes, Macklemore’s lyrics and flow are mediocre at best, any true hip hop head would tell you that..

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:36pm
  46. Who are they?

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:38pm
  47. Great Song for us gay people that have been fighting the system for years. Great Song!

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:40pm
  48. I am a Lesbian Christian preacher.Check me out!Know that I love you and You are Accepted by God No matter what your doing,what you’ve done, or what you haven’t done….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BvdxJPdAY

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:45pm
  49. There are ways to make points without verbally assaulting one another

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:45pm
  50. Ciara Joy your comment confused me about asking ppl to discard their feelings in favor of political correctness.and not seek to integrate myself into an equal spot within the movement that I should know that. Ciara are you saying I should just be bullied and accept the verbal assault on straight people and just silently support the movement without speaking up for myself, like a second class person I should know my place. I can and will support everyone right to love and right to dignity.That’s what equality is

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:51pm
  51. Occasionally, straight people are going to be on the receiving end of snarkiness from queer people, or jokes about straight people. On the whole, I can understand feeling a little hurt but I think its important to realize that the difference between your hurt feelings and the lives queer people have to live (forced closeting, hypersexualization, violence, being the perpetual punchline/scapegoat, etc.) are really enormous. Hurt feelings < marginalization. These jokes are not targeted at specific straight people (unless you're being oppressive), but rather /straight society/. We are allowed to lampoon and mock a culture that hurts us.

Replied on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:04am
  52. Awesome :o

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:07am
  53. Thanx Guys !

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:07am
  54. Well I thank God for supporters who have a voice and use it for equality. Thank you to them both. They are talented & educated and they don’t need LGBT support to become famous but we need theirs. and I am very thankful for that:)

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:08am
  55. Its not straight ppl that are hurting the gay community, or even just the community of everyone in general, its bigoted ignoramus “religious” fanatics. I don’t like those people either so please do not generalize all straight people as crazy,human rights stripping morons.

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:08am
  56. his uncle is gay that,s why he supports us but what if his uncle wasn,t gay would he support us then? but it,s nice that he does though!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:09am
  57. THANKS, AFFLUENT WHITE CISGENDER MEN. We should totes make a medal for you guys for caring about us poor queers.

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:09am
  58. What do you want them to do, pretend to be a black lesbian? They can't change their sexuality, race or gender, so don't blame them for it.

Replied on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 7:36am
  59. Don’t be hateful of all straight people just because one wierdo is a jerk and claims to be straight.

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:10am
  60. hey you 2 thanks for being supportive

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:10am
  61. Theron Martin I think he still would

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:10am
  62. Not a huge fan of these cats, but much respect to them both. It’s about time we had a rapper who’s overtly supportive of equality (not saying there aren’t others, but most of them aren’t open about their support).

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:18am
  63. These guys are AMAZING…

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:20am
  64. Love Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, same love is a great song and I’d like to thank them for their support

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:21am
  65. cool! Both yummy!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:24am
  66. Lmao how wonderful of them. :P

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:29am
  67. Marina, don’t be a self-absorbed bitch, you hateful tick. The proper response is, “Thank you for your support.”

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:38am
  68. Ty!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:40am
  69. Thanks gentlemen……!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:48am
  70. What good looking men!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:48am
  71. ❤️love!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 12:59am
  72. Awesome !!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 1:10am
  73. RESPECT

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 1:33am
  74. AWESOME AWESOME YEAH#1

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 2:13am
  75. LOVE these guys…

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 2:45am
  76. Please share our page.
    We share for share.

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 3:01am
  77. ‘Faggots’ is gangsta now.

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 3:47am
  78. Grateful

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 5:12am
  79. Thank you for all you do Mac! I absolutely love who you are, what you are doing, how you do it and why. I can honestly say that I never liked rap until you came along. You are a brilliant writer and awesome performer with great truthful messages. Keep it up!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 5:42am
  80. You guys have got your work cut out for you. Wishing you all the best.

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 6:59am
  81. Respect!!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 8:10am
  82. Go Ben and Ryan! Proud to have you fighting for us!! Congrats on your award last night!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 8:41am
  83. THEY’RE GREAT!!!!!!!!!! We need more celebrities like them!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 9:07am
  84. Omg these two are amazing!

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 10:53am
  85. I love these guys. Yay.

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 11:14am
  86. Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 11:28am
  87. Hola pudiereis me ayudar a divulgar mi pagina también con el tema de las chicas mas guapas de la televisión Argentina. Porfa
    Gracias. https://www.facebook.com/Agusleriajuntashastaelfin