Australia

Australian Capital Territory votes to legalize same-sex marriage

Monday, October 21, 2013

CANBERRA, Australia — A provincial parliament in Australia has become the country’s first to pass a law that allows same-sex marriages. But the federal government has threatened a court challenge.

Australian-Capital-TerritoryThe Australian Capital Territory parliament passed the law with the support of lawmakers from the province’s governing Labor and Greens parties.

All eight opposition Liberal Party lawmakers in the 17-seat Legislative Assembly voted against the bill.

The first same-sex marriage could take place in December, but federal Attorney General George Brandis, a member of the Liberal Party, said his government has legal advice that the legislation is invalid.

Australian Capital Territory Chief Minister Katy Gallagher has refused a request from Brandis not to allow same-sex marriages to take place until the High Court ruled on the law’s constitutional validity.

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Oceania

1. big deal it still excludes intersex people.

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 3:17am
  2. Thank god one step at a time

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 3:20am
  3. Congratulations!!! :)

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 3:29am
  4. Yea!!! <3 <3 <3

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 3:32am
  5. WARNING! CARRY ON READING OR ELSE YOU WILL DIE, even if you only looked at the word warning! One there was a little girl named Clarissa. She was ten-years-old and she lived in a mental hospital because she killed her mom and dad. She got so bad that she went to kill all the staff in the hospital, so the More-government decided that the best idea to get rid of her so they set up a special room to kill her as humane as possible, but it went wrongs the machine they were using went wrong. And she sat there in agongy for hours until she died. Now every week on the day of her death, she returns to the person that reads this letter, on a Monday night at 12:00a.m. She creeps into your room and kills you slowly, by cutting you and watching you bleed to death. Now send this to ten other pictures on this one site, and she will haunt someone else who doesn’t. This isn’t fake. Apparently, if you copy and paste this to ten comments in the next ten minutes, u will either get kissed or asked out. If you break this chain, u will see a little dead girl in your room. In 53 mins someone will say I love you or I’m sorry

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 3:34am
  6. Ghosts don’t lift, I’m feeling safe.

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 3:48am
  7. Ben WhiteWing

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 3:57am
  8. YES……A MOVE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 4:25am
  9. wow!!

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 4:36am
  10. Wow!! This is new, about time, maybe I should move to the ACT to be recognised…

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 5:30am
  11. Next holiday in Australia ,,,why not?

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 9:47am
  12. we’re WINNING..just like Charlie did

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 12:15pm
  13. I’ve come on your page to ask a question. Is it normal to sleep with over 200 different people in a 12 month period if your gay? Is it part and parcel of being gay to be promiscuous? Is sex the first and foremost need in a gay relationship?

You see my brother, who I am very close to, has been dating this douche for almost a year now. He has taught my brother that its normal to sleep around if your gay therefore he must accept that he won’t be committed to only him. He has taught him that while 200 people in a year is just wrong for a heterosexual relationship, that in a homosexual one, its completely normal. Whenever my brother stands up to him and says that he can’t stand him sleeping around, his boyfriend tells him that he is being selfish because he is new to this he can’t put out properly and therefore is denying his partner his basic right.

Now I know what I think about this is what’s really the case. But I need one of you who are in the community to put this douche bags attitudes right for me so I can show my brother. He is being brainwashed and its not right. He is also getting very sick.

Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 7:21am
  14. I think it’s these attitudes which feed homophobia. Btw what’s the Q? Last I heard it was LGBTI

Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 7:27am