California

NOM, Prop. 8 players join bid to repeal Calif. transgender student rights law

Friday, September 20, 2013

SAN FRANCISCO — An effort to overturn a new law allowing transgender students to choose which school restrooms they use and whether to play boys or girls sports got a boost Friday when a major player in the passage of California’s now-defunct same-sex marriage ban threw its support behind the campaign.

LGBT students rights

The National Organization for Marriage announced it was working with another conservative group, the Capitol Resource Institute, to repeal the law at the ballot box. The marriage group provided early fundraising and organizing for the 2008 ballot initiative that outlawed same-sex marriages, known as Proposition 8.

Opponents of the transgender student law have until Nov. 8 to gather the signatures of 504,760 registered voters to place a referendum on the November 2014 ballot that would nullify the statute.

The National Organization for Marriage is encouraging its members to help circulate petitions and to give money that could be used to h ire professional signature-gatherers.

The political strategist who ran the successful Proposition 8 campaign, Frank Schubert, has signed on to manage the referendum campaign. Noting that no one has ever qualified a referendum in California using only volunteers, Schubert said “it’s a virtual certainty” the campaign will hire paid petition-circulators to supplement work already going on at churches statewide.

“We are actively talking with donors about helping to fund that,” said Schubert, who has also served as NOM’s national political director. “A referendum is a very hard thing to do. It’s definitely an uphill thing.”

After passage of Proposition 8, Schubert led successful campaigns to block same-sex marriages in Maine and to pass a constitutional amendment similar to Proposition 8 in North Carolina. Last November, he oversaw four unsuccessful efforts to keep gay unions from being legalized in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington.

California las t month became the first state to spell out the rights of transgender K-12 students in state law when Gov. Jerry Brown signed AB1266. The statute requires public schools to allow students to participate in sex-segregated programs, activities and facilities based on self-perception of gender instead of birth gender or transition status.

Supporters said the law will help reduce bullying and discrimination against transgender students. Families of transgender students have been waging battles with school districts across the country over what restrooms and locker rooms their children can use. The disagreements have sometimes landed in court.

Equality California Executive Director John O’Connor, whose organization co-sponsored AB1266 and helped lead the campaign to defeat Proposition 8 in 2008, said civil rights groups were closely watching and would be ready to respond if the proposed referendum makes the ballot.

“Frank Schubert has built a political career on these anti-LGBT measures that divide people and perhaps years ago he had some success,” O’Connor said. “We have turned the corner. The public is solidly in favor of LGBT equality now.”

Schubert said qualifying the referendum for the ballot will be difficult, but he thinks it would pass easily if put before voters.

“This is not a law people support by a long-shot,” he said. “This is an attempt to hijack an issue that may be legitimate for a small number of people and use it to impose a statewide mandate in pursuit of a larger political agenda … to strip society of all gender norms so there is no difference between men and women.”

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: , , , , , , ,

Filed under: California

1. lordy

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 at 11:45pm
  2. oh good luck

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 at 11:49pm
  3. Why can’t they live their own lives?

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 at 11:49pm
  4. That would imply they actually have lives to live

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 1:43am
  5. Oh hell no! That will not happen!

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 11:24am
  6. What could the Prop. 8 card players feel about HLD? http://www.facebook.com/hyperlightdrifter

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 at 11:50pm
  7. This is major b.s.

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 at 11:53pm
  8. Dont these people have a life?

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 at 11:55pm
  9. The sad truth is, the LGB community will not be part of the fight to keep the present laws, meant to protect the California transgender/transsexual community, in place. Just as organizations like GLAAD and HRC sold out the Transgendered and Transsexuals who make up the ‘T’ in LGBT in the fight to repeal DADT, they will disappear in the fight to keep the present laws in place.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 12:05am
  10. Why is everyone worried about batrooms? Okay there are stalls, wtf, if you cant lock a stall you are a RETARD

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 12:14am
  11. Where is HRC? Why are they not speaking up in defense of the trans* community? We were right there with them for the fight for marriage equality. Come on, we’re waiting.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 12:25am
  12. The HRC is busy not reading and upholding scientific illiteracy. The HRC is useless and needs to be replaced. If you want good word to be done work with the American Humanist Association

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 3:39am
  13. Better question. Since when has the HRC ever cared about trans* issues?

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 5:06am
  14. HRC doesn't support Transgender people. Didn't you know?

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 5:24am
  15. And sure, they "pretend" but they aren't ever serious. The LGB always forgets T because we are a "moral grey area that always derails what 'normal' people are".

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 5:25am
  16. I was speaking tongue in cheek. This would be the perfect opportunity for HRC to redeem themselves in a way to the trans community, but they just don't care. Even if some of us happen to also be G, L or B as well as T.

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 5:11pm
  17. Prop 8 was someone else’s religious views rammed down my throat by force, completely bi-passing my freedom and right of religious or non-religious views. Now these same people are now attacking my fellow Californians once more, but now, it’s the children! How rude! While I’m well out of the age range where this would effect me, but in the county I live in I do have public restroom privileges as long as I present as the correct gender in order to use them. What did this do for me? Makes it so whenever I’m out I don’t have to fret about using the correct restroom or risk assault, a police intervention and potential jail time over a complete misunderstanding. To be honest, nobody should feel stress, worry and anxiety for just needing to pee. Unfortunately when your a kid in school, you don’t have the option to go to Starbucks or Peet’s and use their private restrooms, instead you have to use the public stalls. Before this bill was passed, those few (and I mean few by comparison to the student population) openly presenting and living transgendered youth had to deal with all that anxiety. Use the boys restroom while your presenting and living as a girl because you have a penis, you’ll get either abused or beaten. Use the girl’s, well, principal’s office for you and a possible suspension. Should we go back to that? That’s discrimination. All transpeople to a degree are a minority (their personal identity) of a minority (open trans population) of a minority (total trans population) of a minority (LGBT population) and trans youth are a minority of even all that! Repealing such a bill is not just wrong, but a direct assault on the psychological well-being of a few individuals. It’s like walking up to a t-girl who is 15, grabbing her, throwing her against the wall, punching the wall behind her and walking away laughing with your friends if not worse. Such a repeal would be just that, instilling fear into individuals once more who shouldn’t have to put up with it, cause honestly, nobody else does nor can understand that fear. Perhaps, outside of an african-american over the age of 65. Cause if you were black living back prior to the repealing of segregation, if you didn’t use the correct restroom, well, you’ll be assaulted, cops would be called and you’d go to jail. Sound familiar? It does doesn’t it. Cause I described just that all the way near the top of this wall of text. C’mon. Let’s not go back to that. Cause that’s not just wrong, it’s down right evil.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 12:26am
  18. Human Beings need to Pee...Color, Gender, just let them go pee. SMH

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 5:48am
  19. Seriously hope that the law isn’t repealed, it’s such an amazing step forward!

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 1:02am
  20. Oh my god people. I’m a str8 lady who is fine with men, women, or even men who are now women in the fucking bathroom. Who cares. You mind your business in there, ill mind mine

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 1:12am
  21. I LOVE TRANSGENDER PEOPLE!

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 1:31am
  22. If they look under the right rocks, they may find half a million ignorant schmucks. They will be outnumbered by people who care about children

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 1:31am
  23. NO PLACE FOR HOMOPHOBIA! NO PLACE FOR TRANPHOBIA!

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 1:36am
  24. You know, when a group is doing is trying to take away rights to protect America you are no longer an American.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 2:04am
  25. I stand for Homosexual, Bisexual, Pansexual, Transgender, Genderqueer, and Intersexual rights. I do not care what bathroom you use, I personally think gender neutral bathrooms should replace gendered bathrooms and is the future. I have been invited to use the guy’s bathroom several times because the women’s bathroom was too busy or was out-of-order. I just used a stall and was not harassed or embarrassed about it. Grow up people, everyone needs to use the bathroom without being harassed and shamed. (Now, public bathrooms do need better cleaning, that is the real problem. Someone needs to clean those things before someone dies of the smell and sight of them.) ;)

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 2:12am
  26. #TeamLesbian

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 2:40am
  27. The cleanest bathrooms at my college are the gender neutral ones, and there are so many! Though, I am lucky that I don't experience dysphoria or need for validation with bathrooms. I just go in and do my business and get out. Though, I'm always paranoid that I'll walk into the wrong one because of how I will subconsciously read the signs and identify with the one I am not really presenting yet.

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 5:10am
  28. You are lucky, my old college's bathrooms at times seem to smell like something unnatural was growing in them. I'm an online student now, so not sure about my new university but when I did visit it did seem cleaner and its LGBPTQI friendly (so that is a double plus).

Replied on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 5:15am
  29. For the first time I say go listen to the POPE for once. Focus on themselves, and how they are harming so many others in our communities, rather than spreading justice and love and humanity, out of their fears and false beliefs. Ashame the real looney people have the money and desire to act foolishly. ;(

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 2:36am
  30. What happened to live and let live? Why invite others into being as miserable as you are? Sad bunch, these prop hate people are…..

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 3:02am
  31. Damn Bigots!

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 3:04am
  32. Please just go home and STFU!!!!!!!

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 3:21am
  33. It’s just a bathroom: Keep calm and get going…

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 4:02am
  34. it’s sad because even in our own round there is prejudice

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 4:04am
  35. What can we expect? Evangelical christians and other hateful christians will never cease to demean, dehumanize, harm and destroy the civil dignity and civil rights of LGBTQ people. It may become necessary to take it to the christian hatemongers and do to them what is needed by whatever means necessary.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 4:43am
  36. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 8:08am
  37. let’s see if the catholic church gets behind this or not.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 8:11am
  38. I’m so fucking sick of these jackasses who want to take away people’s rights! God this infuriates me.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 8:43am
  39. people spend too much time fighting change and love and too little time trying to help ppl that actually need it

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 11:17am
  40. wiping out the gender norms in our society, doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all. hopefully those douchebags don’t even get the signatures required.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 12:18pm
  41. i think the transgender community needs to establish their own group… the LGB is leaving them behind the dust…

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 12:20pm
  42. Stupid fuckin’ assholes, poking their noses in and dragging down the wheels of progress. Fuck you pricks.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 1:23pm
  43. Sad human beings.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 3:32pm
  44. Oh, yuk. It’s hard enough being transgendered without this kind of ridiculous reaction from the homophobes.

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 9:46pm
  45. who are these idiots? why can’t they find a hobby like everyone else? why can’t they GET A FUCKING LIFE~!!!!?????

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 12:44am
  46. Equal rights for everyone that includes transgender rights as well!!!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 8:39am
  47. Hey beautiful people

Before I start let me tell you who I am.
    In 1972 I was fifteen an join the “Gay Activist Alliance” (GAA) which was the first organization formed after the “Stonewall riot”. We were called the radical arm of the Gay revolution. Yes we were bad ass and would rather march, protest and sometimes get in a fight then write letters. Later when I went to high school it was awesome that I be there with other gay and lesbian kids. However, instead of having a blast we found ourselves fending off being harassed by homophobic kids and even administrators who called us freaks. That’s when I met Billie, who was a very effeminate boy who told me in secrete that he hated being a boy and wanted to be a girl. I thought that was so cool.
    Well the harassment became so bad that we went to GAA and told them we needed support. Well than God for family and especially transgendered sisters. Because one of the people that led the protest on our school was Sylvia Rivera. She had become famous because she was one of the first people who fought back that night. At the end we went to George Washington high school protest and won. later we formed the first “Gay Youth” organization anywhere in the country.
    I am now a journalist/Activist living in Atlanta Georgia.
    Now back to you. In the last moth I have been going around Atlanta talking to GLTB youth organizations about our history and when I was at one collage transgendered people were talking about how they liked to be recognized when people talked to them. So I thought Transgendered and transsexual sounded so clinical. When actually to me it was people who were living in bodies that was like living a lie. Just like people who were gay or lesbians who lived in the closet. It wasn’t until they starred living as who they really were that they found the truth. So when a person changed there sex that they were now living happily that they were living in the truth. One could use that old religious slogan. “The truth will set you free”
    because of my history with transgendered people I see you as brave heroes that stands up every time you walk out that door.
    And I thank you and love you..
    Your brother
    Xavier Harrison

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 12:13pm
  48. Well, I would expect them to so do.

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 12:41am