Philippines Archbishop says gays must not make themselves ‘laughing stocks’

Thursday, August 1, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — One of the Philippines most prominent clergymen, Archbishop emeritus Oscar Cruz, says that gay people should always keep their dignity high by avoiding actions that would make them “laughing stocks.”

Archbishop emeritus Oscar Cruz

“When they [gays] dress up as females, wear high heels and other such acts, they are lowering their dignities as they make themselves laughing stocks. I think that is not fair to them because they are being laughed at,” he said.

His comments on Tuesday were timed as a response to Pope Francis statement that gays should not be judged or be marginalized, nevertheless that same-sex acts are still sin and should be avoided, reported The Manila Times.

Cruz said he agreed with the Pope that LGBT people deserve respect from others just like any human being. He also clarified that being gay does not mean that they are sinning more than any other individuals.

“As far as the Church is concerned, everybody deserves respect. Let us not mock. Let us not malign… If a man has an inclination with another man, he is still a man. If a woman has an inclination with another woman, she is still a woman,” the CBCP official said.

“We also have to respect them because they are also children of God. They are humans too. Don’t tell me that homosexuals commit graver sins than ordinary men and women. No. That is not true,” he commented.

At the same time, Cruz stated that the Catholic Church would never agree to legalize the same-sex marriage.

“Marriage is just for men and women. Same-sex marriage is another thing. You can call it marriage a hundred times but it will never be a marriage,” he stressed.

The Philippines’s population is largely Roman Catholic with a large Muslim minority, it is one of the more liberal countries in Asia regarding same-sex acts, with gays allowed to serve in the military.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Asia

1. l0l

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:45pm
  2. I Totaly Agree !!!

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:47pm
  3. “Just like women and men, the third sex should also not lower their dignities,” said Cruz, who is also the former president of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines. ”

Awesome, he´s off to a good start.

Wait, what? Why is it shameful for a man to dress “like a woman” but not shameful for a woman to “dress like a man”? Ugh.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:48pm
  4. Commendable but wearing heels and being effeminate is being laughed at because of attitudes…im sure women used to laugh at men with long hair or earings…its a social construction..in scotland men wear skirts…so this is other peoples problems not transvesities or gay male issues.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:49pm
  5. yes because that is reserved for catholics only

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:49pm
  6. The more I read what this guy says, the more it shows he doesn´t know what he´s talking about.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:50pm
  7. The nickname for the LGBTAAQQ community isn´t “Somber”.
    It´s GAY. For a reason. Happy bright and GAY.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:50pm
  8. Can´t think of a single reason why his opinion would ever matter to me. He is an irrelevant man in a country that has nothing to do with me.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:52pm
  9. He also says marriage is just for a man and woman and if gay people get married that it should not be recognize as such. And, acting on being gay is a sin. He is not a good guy supporting gay rights he is a bigot hiding behind one good statement.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:54pm
  10. Here is a thought: shut your pie hole.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:55pm
  11. He talks like an idiot.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:55pm
  12. Archbishop Oscar Cruz is the individual who should not himself a laughing stock.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:56pm
  13. Give me a good solid reason why gender roles are so important and perhaps I will concede your point.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:57pm
  14. This is one of those culture vs. sexuality debates. I honestly don´t know how to answer that. I am a gay man, but I am not in the gay clique or culture. I have a very conservative taste in fashion, I don´t speak with a lisp, I think the entire celebrity news industry needs to die in a fire starting with TMZ, I am an avid gamer and geek and have been both for a lot longer than I have been out, and I have not felt the need to conform to that gay culture.

And it is a gay culture. I wouldn´t go so far as to say I´m a “normal” gay, because there´s really no such thing as a “normal” anything. But the sooner we can separate the sexuality from the culture, the sooner that those of us who are not a part of the gay culture can begin to separate themselves.

I used to say that I was homosexual, not gay, because the gay culture was so suffocating and I felt like I was being put into a box by some of my straight friends. It´s getting a lot better as more and more gay individuals come out that are not ingrained into the gay culture, so I have stopped trying to make that distinction because it´s not going to matter all that much anymore.

But yeah. Drag Queens are as much a part of gay culture as rap music is a part of black culture. Not all black people follow black culture just as not all gay people follow gay culture. But the comparison still works.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:57pm
  15. I actually agree with the title – gays (or anyone, for that matter, who is subject to scrutiny and fighting for a cause) should avoid making themselves ´laughing stocks´.

It´s the entire rest of the article with which I take issue. lol.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:58pm
  16. Says a man who worships imaginary beings.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:00pm
  17. Bryan Magana Jacosalem

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:05pm
  18. What a moron!

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:07pm
  19. Said the guy from the country formerly lead by a heinous thief and his wife the shoe fetishist.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:08pm
  20. And for another point, Philipino men make awesome drag queens!

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:11pm
  21. Look who´s talking, as he makes himself a laughing stock.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:12pm
  22. why doesn´t he worry about FREEING MALI from her horrible existence at the Manila zoo instead?

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:19pm
  23. Here is the comment I posted on the site……….

I think he “meant” well… I think he is under-educated about the realities of LGBT struggles with their identity in relation the the mainstream world, but I really do think he gave these statements with the best of intentions. Let´s not beat him up too badly over them and educate him instead….. Our LGBT culture DOES have a way of humiliating themselves in the public eye and force-feeding who we are to the media. How about we just be WE… without being idiots about it. (and please forgive me if I struggle with how to say things gently.)

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:23pm
  24. “When they [gays] dress up as females, wear high heels and other such acts, they are lowering their dignities as they make themselves laughing stocks.”

Uh, what exactly is wrong with dressing like a woman? Obviously something is if men shouldn´t do it.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:27pm
  25. Think they get trans/drag/and gay mixed up.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:32pm
  26. Ok, first off, not all gays dress like the opposing gender, such as myself. Secondly, does it affect you if they do? No, so shut up. If someone enjoys being a drag queen or cross dressing, more power to them.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:35pm
  27. I hope my opinion dont cause hate on me, and dont get me wrong, I am 100% supporting gay marriage and LGBT rights, but sometimes, when the time to defend the gay marriage comes, some of the gay people goes wearing very extravagant clothes, leather pants with a hole in the butt, and end up being so weird to say.. “Hey I support that people”, pointing a buch of people with a lot of make up and weird clothes. Dont get me wrong I know everybody have the freedom to wear how they want, but when you ask for respect, you have to show that you are respectable and you are respecting others too :( … I will not stop supporting gay rights, but I think they should analize the way they show their “pride”. Its easy to say when a child ask, why 2 men kissin, you gladly say “its because they love each other”, but when your kids ask… “why are they wering like that”… I guess the only answer I can give is… “because they want”. I think is easier get support when you fight hard in a formal way, maybe I am just wrong, that is the way I see it.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:37pm
  28. I hope my opinion dont cause hate on me, and dont get me wrong, I am 100% supporting gay marriage and LGBT rights, but sometimes, when the time to defend the gay marriage comes, some of the gay people goes wearing very extravagant clothes, leather pants with a hole in the butt, and end up being so weird to say.. “Hey I support that people”, pointing a buch of people with a lot of make up and weird clothes. Dont get me wrong I know everybody have the freedom to wear how they want, but when you ask for respect, you have to show that you are respectable and you are respecting others too :( … I will not stop supporting gay rights, but I think they should analize the way they show their “pride”. Its easy to say when a child ask, why 2 men kissin, you gladly say “its because they love each other”, but when your kids ask… “why are they wering like that”… I guess the only answer I can give is… “because they want”. I think is easier get support when you fight hard in a formal way, maybe I am just wrong, that is the way I see it. ( sorry for grammar mistakes, english is my 3rd language)

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:37pm
  29. …first of all, what does the Apostate (Catholic) Institution know about dignity? …secondly …this man acts speaks as though trans-gender persons don´t exist…or shouldn´t …it just goes to show how disconnected and ignorant people too far to the right can be…what a maroon …

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:02pm
  30. When men dress as women they are cross dressers or transvestites and they are not necessarily gay. That is another whole other sub culture. Besides who is he to judge someone on their appearance? I personally don´t understand crossing dressing but I don´t judge any one for doing it. In fact I appreciate they have the courage to be who they want to be.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:04pm
  31. I could give a shit what he thinks.

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:08pm
  32. Because straight people are laughing stocks all the time and so blatant!

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:12pm
  33. And I don´t care how many times they say a snake talked or a virgin got pregnant, it doesn´t make it true!

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:13pm
  34. I get what he´s saying, and in a broad sense agree, but he goes about it in entirely the wrong way.

I´ve met many a person who has decided, without actually conferring with the most important person in such decisions (namely themselves) that they must “act” a certain way to be gay. And that others must act a certain way to be gay. And this usually just perpetuates a lot of very NEGATIVE stereotypes (and it can cause division in the community – there are LGBT folk out there who still make the assumptions about bisexuals or who say you can only be a gay man if you´re effeminate or a lesbian if you´re butch). Whatsmore, there are a lot of LGBT folk with incredibly negative personalities that are just wholly unpleasant people who blame those negative traits on being gay. And if you point out those traits, they will accuse you of homophobia – clearly you just can´t HANDLE how fabulous they are. Anyone remember Chris Crocker – great example of someone who behaves as a terrible person, in a manner having nothing to do with their gender identity or sexuality, and then never thinks of any criticism of their actions because they cop it up to people hating their sexuality or gender identity – even when it has nothing to do with that. Being gay doesn´t excuse you from being a dick.

On the other hand though, cross-dressing is not acting out. Not usually. I think where he finds discomfort is with drag queens specifically, which I can KIND of understand where a lot of straight men might not enjoy that (I think it´s fun and often takes a lot of talent especially in fashion and stage presence) but there´s a difference between not enjoying something personally and saying it´s demeaning. I don´t think he´s trying to inflame or even hate – I do think he´s genuinely concerned. And he has a right to be in that case since there are a LOT of heterosexist people who use promiscuity in the community and activities like cross-dressing to scare non-allies who don´t know much about our community. But it´s a blame the victim mentality – those people who portray those activities are wrong need to change, not the other way around.

But I´ve been a mindset that a lot of LGBT events tend to be very hypersexual anyway – I´ve never liked Pride events because there is always some large part dedicated to sex and it´s just not my thing. I think it gets to be a little much. But you don´t have to tone it down entirely – there is entertainment to it, and cross-dressing isn´t inherently sexual (girls do it all the time – I´m wearing jeans right now).

Posted on Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:20pm
  35. Meanwhile the previous Pope walked around in silk robes, furs and red leather slippers… and gays are the laughing stock.

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 12:27am
  36. I agree and disagree in the same motion. I feel like he has a good message.

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 1:20am
  37. I feel as if he means well in that role models should be talented hard working people and not caricatures, but we made our image with caricatures that expose bigotry and rigidity in sexuality…so conflicted…

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 1:50am
  38. Its true that goes for any human. I think it is ironic when we expect equal rights but in pride parades so many guys walk around in assless chaps or speedos…like that is really helping to get people to support us..

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 2:32am
  39. What is a laughing stock to one, isn´t a laughing stock to another. Why doesn´t he get off his judgmental, prudish glass house, and speak out against more seriuos issues, like straight men raping women? Because he is a homophobe.

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 3:56am
  40. I´m waiting for the idiot straits that are inappropriately sexual in public and attacking people of the other sex and drooling and going on and on and adulterating and bringing children unwanted into their messes. talk about embarassing!

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 4:16am
  41. Although he means well, he is not well educated about the diversity of people that is out there. It might be interesting to know how he feels about intersex people, once he got himself educated about them. There is certainly no laughing stock, here.

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 7:12am
  42. We are not laughing stocks and if you are laughing you are displaying your ignorance and lack of education for all the world to see,…We are everywhere…we are strong…we are pastors, teachers….musicians…doctors…lawyers….and you are ignorant.

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 7:18am
  43. “Gays must avoid looking silly,” says man in robes who talks to his imaginary friend.

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 8:37am
  44. “Gay” does NOT equal “transgender.” Unless he´s polled every single gay man in the world, including me,and confirmed that that´s a common practice. I most certainly don´t. I strongly suggest that this man get his facts straight (no pun intended).

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 10:28am
  45. Furthermore, there are many heterosexual men who dress in women´s clothing.

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 10:29am
  46. he s got it all mixed up this guy..but that is what happens when we ask for their opinion and they give it as if it was everybodies opinion, even Gods, whilst it is just another person projecting his thought on something he doesnt understand

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 10:39am
  47. I suppose he means well but he really needs to attend a Pride parade…

Posted on Friday, August 2, 2013 at 4:49pm