Oregon

Five sentenced for assaulting gay man after luring him to park for sex

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

PORTLAND, Ore. — Five teenagers accused of luring a 24-year-old gay man to a Gresham park to beat and rob him have been sentenced to terms ranging from probation to 2 ½ years in prison.

Justin Sims (Booking photo)

The last of the defendants, a 16-year-old boy, was sentenced Tuesday. They are 14 to 19.

Justin Carey Simms, the only adult in the group, was sentenced last month to 1 ½ years in prison.

The victim, Adam Salnardi of Clackamas, Ore., said lured to a park on Feb. 15 with the intention of having a sexual encounter with another man whose profile he’d seen in an online forum.

When he got there, however, the group of teens hit him on the head and repeatedly kicked him after he fell to the ground, reported The Oregonian.

The attackers pointed what later were determined to be realistic airsoft guns at Salnardi and called him homophobic names, before running off into the darkness.

At the time of the attack, Gresham police were looking for victims of other similar attacks, but no other victims have come forward.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Oregon

1. Wow. Cant catch a happy news break today can we.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:40am
  2. not NEARLY strict enough punishments

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:41am
  3. Horrible crime nonetheless but how can anyone be lured to a ‘park’ for sex

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:42am
  4. Portland?? wow..and they got by with a slap on the wrist? wtf ever.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:42am
  5. I am sure glad these people did not get away with a hate crime. Sometimes lessons need to be learned and this was one of them.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:43am
  6. :(

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:43am
  7. My church teaches us about the power of forgiveness…but in this situation…I find the forgiveness hard to cough up…..the anger and hurt overpowering…and the empathy for the 24 year old man attacked enough to make me cry.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:44am
  8. Can we just keep them in jail, please?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:44am
  9. Those penalties are far too lenient!
    These animals deserve to do hard time where they will experience some assault of their own from the general population.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:45am
  10. This shit will continue to happen until you fight back. Kick some ass, people.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:45am
  11. I don’t see that they were charged with hate crimes. Probation to 2.5 years is hardly a sentence and the adult only getting 1.5 years is laughable. He’ll be out in a year.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:45am
  12. slaps on the wrists pretty much….wow, they need REAL punishment.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:46am
  13. I’ve always felt that forgiveness is something a person has to allow in their own hearts when the time is right — when it’s appropriate to release one’s anger, as it no longer does any good. Forgiveness is not something an oppressor can compel you to provide, especially when unrepentant or even continuing their oppression. Then it simply becomes another form of control.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:48am
  14. Yes, I can’t imagine how ever-escalating violence could possibly end poorly.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:49am
  15. well, I am transgender and have been beaten plenty of times for it when I was young. Today, that aint happening if I still got breath and life. That is just my opinion of course.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:51am
  16. Happily it was not dismissed! A side note the 24 yr old should not have been going to the park for sex so there needs to be a common sense clause added here. To all LGBTQ peeps use the brain in your head and do not do stupid things that can put you in a place to be assualted. If we want respect we have to behave respectful not like deviants.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:51am
  17. Omg such bs they should be in prison for years. A planned hate crime… Disgusting. On another note this is why you don’t go anywhere alone with people you met off the internet unless you REALLY get to know them. So sad.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:53am
  18. This is why you carry a knife or self defense weapon. I do.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 10:53am
  19. there are way kinkier places to go to have sex I’m sure…

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:10am
  20. Park’s are unacceptable as well as anywhere kids might be

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:11am
  21. Not harsh enough.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:11am
  22. Sad to think that if a woman or teenager had been lured to the park and had something similar happen, the punishment would have been worse and more suited to the crime. The LGBTQ community has a long way to go. =[

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:15am
  23. Plenty of people have sex in the park without getting assaulted. Way to blame the victim, jerk.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:25am
  24. The truth behind this is that “Straight Men” that act this way and say and do violent and hateful things are not secure with the fact that they have their own gay hidden issues. MAN UP OR SHUT UP!

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:26am
  25. That’s both manipulative and abhorrent. NON of you know the story. Making an effort to appear could’ve been manipulated. The teenagers could had easily told him that they’re adult. You hear about swingers all the time. I don’t judge him and in his defense, that doesn’t make him a pedophile or disgusting. I advocate bullying to be stopped. I think it’s derogatory, crass and they all deserve to be bared. They want to judge a man for his sexual orient well, well they in return are going to get it regardless. Have fun in prison.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:26am
  26. People that have sex in the park don’t do it in front of children. There are places to hide.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:26am
  27. Also plenty of heterosexuals have sex in public. If you’ve ever seen anything on the Internet you would probably know that. Also I think any gay person slinging the word “deviant” around needs to be careful. How long ago was it you were told sex with a man was deviant behavior? Just saying.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:27am
  28. I am not taking up for the 5 , but let this be a lesson for us gays

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:31am
  29. Also I couldn’t help but notice that cover photo of yours talking about how everything in your life is due to the choices you made. That is a load of spiritual bullshit. Tell that crap to any of the gay men who have been brutally beaten just for showing affection to their partners in public or just being themselves. I am really sure Matthew Shepherd’s choices were all the reason he ended up being tortured and left for dead tied to a fence. And that little deviant comment rightfully pisses me off to no end. How dare you sit there with some air of spiritual pontification and call someone that.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:34am
  30. So you’d have sex in a ball pit as long as there are no kids seeing you?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:36am
  31. Why not?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:39am
  32. That would make you a pedophile

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:40am
  33. Lorelei Levana would you rather they lured him to a home and then beat him or robbed him? It happens. So please stop trying to stigmatize this 24 year old for doing what horny 24 year olds do. And secondly things like this go on everywhere across the country especially in places that are highly conservative where meeting other men is not that common. They call them hookup sites and have been used for decades. No different than where heterosexuals go to park and screw around.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:42am
  34. It’s not acceptable for anyone, and all that happened was a male was dumb enough to be lured out thinking he was getting laid

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:43am
  35. What? How does saying I’d have sex as long as there are no kids around make me a pedophile?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:45am
  36. The fact you have to ask just shows how mentally inept you ar

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:46am
  37. @Lorelei Levana the only thing here that is unacceptable is you trying to blame the victim. Maybe if it had been a woman who had been raped or beaten you wouldn’t be so quick to lay the blame. That little gender targeted comment really shows just how classy you are.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:46am
  38. You do realize you are trying to rationalize the attack and defending the people that committed this assault.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:46am
  39. Cry all you want, I’m for gay rights but, the only reason anyone’s shitting their pants is because he happens to be gay, all I see is a ‘man’ being gullable

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:48am
  40. it was at night, hence NO KIDS…

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:49am
  41. @Lorelei Levana what you prove is that sexism is not just a man’s domain.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:49am
  42. “I’m all for gay rights until a gay man wants to have gay sex and gets beat up. Then I don’t give a shit.”

Thanks for the support, “ally”.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:49am
  43. You know you’re caught naked or even peeing in a public place day or night you’re branded a asex offender

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:50am
  44. There you go with the nonsense, I don’t care if he was straight and lured by women, a man was beat up that’s all

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:51am
  45. “That’s all”???

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:52am
  46. If this were a gay woman attacked then it’d be something to worry about

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:55am
  47. So they beat this man up and hurl homophobic comments at him. And that is all? How can you call yourself an ally to the LGBT community when you essentially say this young gay male deserves his fate for the sheer fact he was a “man”. Like I said if this had been a woman who had been raped or beaten you wouldn’t be that quick to lay the blame on gender. This person was assaulted and instead of showing empathy for someone who was manipulated then beaten you are trying to blame him. So no that isn’t “all” of the story. If I were to do that to say a woman saying her clothing or her gender made her susceptible to being raped that wouldn’t fly. People would attack me for it. Sexism is not just a man’s domain and you proved that.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:55am
  48. I’m someone who expects a man gay or straight to be smart enough not to go into a park at night with people whether he knows them or not. I’m pointing out that I don’t care that a MAN was beat up, you’re implying I hate gays

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 11:58am
  49. Did you already forget your last comment? “If this were a gay woman attacked then it’d be something to worry about” You really said that.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:02pm
  50. Men should defend themselves

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:04pm
  51. Did you miss the part about 5 attackers?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:06pm
  52. A grown man was fooled by teenagers, maybe he’ll be a little wiser so he won’t go through it again

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:06pm
  53. TEENAGERS on a grown man

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:07pm
  54. So what you’re saying is you really don’t care?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:12pm
  55. send all 5 of the creeps to prison for a couple months, they too will be lured into a cell for some sex, then traded like a pack of newports

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:16pm
  56. Here’s the moral of the story, well two morals, DON’T arrange to meet someone you just met online (do a background check) in a park at night where there are no people, that’s a dead obvious sign of trouble. For the gay bashers, don’t bash on someone for being gay. Yes yes it was sad and all that he was tricked BUT, you need to not have your head up your ass and think with your dick. You don’t meet strangers online and expect nothing bad to happen, and try being armed.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:16pm
  57. Ignorance runs profusely through your veins, Lorelei….

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:22pm
  58. thats it?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:27pm
  59. Don’t you believe it. What about Texas letting the guy go who killed a woman who was an escort after she refused him sex? I mean yes, the LGBTQ community does definitely still have a long way to go…but they don’t seem to care much about women. Rapists get minimal sentences.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:46pm
  60. 5 n est pas assez!

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:53pm
  61. they should have life in prison for assault.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:57pm
  62. With the realization that people like Lorelei think the way they do makes me wonder if there is hope for mankind. No wonder it takes so long to get things done in this country, you have to get through to so many people with thick skulls.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 12:58pm
  63. I am gay so don’t jump on me and I absolutely do not condone any of this but come on guys, you have to stop having sex in parks…it really is degrading!

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 1:01pm
  64. Uhhh, what a strange story. I feel sorry for the guy who got robbed and beat, but he went out with the intention of having sex with someone he barely knew? That’s kinda asking for it… If I were to meet someone off the Internet, I’d take people with me. I ain’t no idiot.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 1:04pm
  65. If 5 women lured a man into a Park and beat the shit out of him, what would happen?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 1:18pm
  66. culturally competent report writing such as this will educate the public.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 1:39pm
  67. What’s probably even more sad is that I did know that writing this comment. Women don’t have it much better, but they sadly do have it better than LGBTQ people for the most part.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 1:51pm
  68. they should have got more prison time!

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 2:01pm
  69. 1.5 years for the only adult…that’s it?! Too lenient, I think

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 2:06pm
  70. i am not perfect by any means and I own all the poor choices I hae made and the consequences as a gay man as well just a perspective that is we choose well we do not put ourselves into harms way there is no blame here.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 2:25pm
  71. Kevin, but if he was lured into something, how can you blame him? If a heterosexual woman is lured into a group sex situation (because that’s what she likes) and then gets the crap beaten out of her, that’s not her fault.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 3:23pm
  72. Uhhh, what a strange comment… Straight people hook up ALL the time, but when a woman gets beaten or raped by someone they just met, they shouldn’t be blamed. Everyone craves sex and shouldn’t be blamed when they are lured into a situation and then beaten.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 3:27pm
  73. And he’s only getting 21/2 years?? Hmmmm

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:14pm
  74. I agree with you Kenny!

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:16pm
  75. AMEN!!

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:17pm
  76. He will be out in 5 months. Due to “overcrowding”

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:18pm
  77. Kenny, where in my post did I ever imply that straight people didn’t do this? And if you put yourself in that position, then you’re damn right I’m going to give you some blame. Just because you crave sex doesn’t mean that you have to hook up with random strangers. YOU put yourself at risk for being gullible and meeting up with strangers. There are other ways to handle business.

The fact that you people even condone that behavior simply because people get horny is disturbing. No wonder STD’s and other diseases run rampant.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:39pm
  78. why was any 24 year old even paying attention to teens?

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:46pm
  79. meant to say why did this 24 y/o…or any 24 y/o…pay attention to these teens for sex?…

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:48pm
  80. A major point her…THEY WERE TEENS…HE IS AN ADULT

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 4:49pm
  81. Seriously! Don’t people learn? There are FIVE of them! I wouldn’t be going anywhere with 5 people I didn’t know- especially for sex.
    Doesn’t excuse what those teens did, but you have got to protect yourself and be careful out there! There are far too many evil people in this world.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 5:08pm
  82. Michael, he DIDN’T go there to have sex with teens. He went to meet a MAN he met online. These sweet, little “teens” just took the opportunity to beat a Gay Man.

Posted on Wednesday, July 3, 2013 at 5:09pm
  83. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth should apply in this case so they can see how it feels to get beat up! this is inexcusable!

Posted on Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 5:56am
  84. not at all this is near justice…. imprisonment for 10 years SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE MINIMAL PENALTY.

Posted on Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 6:01am