‘Cutest couple’ at New York high school is two boys

Monday, June 3, 2013

CARMEL, N.Y. — The duo voted “cutest couple” in the senior class at a suburban New York high school say they’re getting teased about it – but not because they’re both boys.

“Yeah, our friends are giving it to us about being Internet famous,” said 18-year-old Dylan Meehan, a senior at Carmel High School.

“We’ve never had any problems at all,” added 17-year-old senior Brad Taylor. “As a matter of fact, before the results, people were telling us ahead of time, ‘You guys are going to win hands down.’”

The gay couple’s selection – a first at Carmel High – has become an online sensation, driven by a yearbook photo of the smiling boys in a close embrace. A friend’s blog with the photo had more than 110,000 hits Monday, and it was cited in stories on several major news sites.

They received so much attention that they released a statement saying “the whole thing has been a bit surreal.”

They said that when they first started dating a year ago, “the thought of a photo of us traveling throughout the world would be a bit frightening, but now we are proud to be part of the LGBT community.”

Other students said the boys are well-liked and always willing to help younger students as part of the school’s mentoring program.

“They’re very accepted because they’re so loving – toward everybody,” said freshman Cristal Leiva.

Principal Kevin Carroll said tolerance is stressed all the time at the school, but he thinks acceptance of gays is not much of an issue for current high schoolers.

“You can still hear about a gay man being attacked in New York City,” he said, referring to a recent killing in Greenwich Village, “but these kids don’t think that way.”

However, officials were concerned enough that they checked with the boys and their parents before the “cutest couple” selection was memorialized in the yearbook.

Meehan’s mother, Diane Maher, said, “My concern always is for his safety,” but her son has had no problems at school. “He’s in a healthy, positive relationship. They encourage each other to do well.”

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life

1. This is not news, gay couples are *always* the cutest.

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:41pm
  2. Kyyyuuuuut!!

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:41pm
  3. Right?!

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:42pm
  4. *sigh*

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:42pm
  5. I know, right?

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:43pm
  6. Touche. :)

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:43pm
  7. Good for that school, and their students! Makes me happy to see acceptance so widely in the youth; gives me hope for the future. :)

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:44pm
  8. Maybe there is Hope for next generation after all??

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:44pm
  9. bullshit, Conor! I am all down with gay pride but you cant say that kind of crap on a political board and think it helps bridge the gap between inbetweeners on the issue! Duh, these kids are cute, but its more constructive to bridge a gap at a crucial moment in our national history than come off conceited because of one win.

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:46pm
  10. Well let’s face it, they ARE cute …

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:46pm
  11. This made me a little teary… Awesome!

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:46pm
  12. Well….. Gay guy couples DO seem to always dress the cutest and take the best pictures and dance the best…. Therefore, sorry, Kelly, but it’s true. Gay couples are the new cheerleaders. Lol. Mainly, the new cheer/jock couples!

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:49pm
  13. Sorry, forgot that “e” in Kelley… Don’t mean to misrepresent!

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 11:51pm
  14. Kelley, loosen up.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:28am
  15. That sand in your vagina must be a nuisance Kelley. Does it itch?

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:35am
  16. She needs a drink or a decent lay.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:36am
  17. Or both.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:36am
  18. What a mature response to accepting people whose sexuality is not set on a compass; to attack someone for having an opinion in how the proper politicized way to sell this concept to straight peoples is ‘n THEN attack them 4 having a vagina. What a cool, hip, into the now guy you are, attacking women. I am pretty sure I read this in a book written a thousand years ago, but my, you sure are superior to all for your passe reference to a silicate within a feminine canal.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:46am
  19. Well you are being a bit of cunt Kelley. That is a vaginal reference too. No need to act so superior… lighten up.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:49am
  20. She has a very tight cunt, that is clear.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:49am
  21. Ashley, I have no problem with your opinion. But I do think it is childish to bunch everybody and say they are “always” this or “always” that. I think that kind of ignorance is what eventually causes these kind of issues. There are plenty of cute gay male couples. There are also plenty of straight couples and lesbian couples which are cute and this kind of extreme LBGT thinking generates a feeling of hostility within straight people who would otherwise be completely pro gay; the idea that gay relationships supercede straight relationships whether than be equal to them. Also, I appreciate spelling my name right.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:51am
  22. They would make a sexy baby together! They are adorably yummy.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:53am
  23. Kelley is a jealous lesbian.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:55am
  24. Pretentious cunt.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 12:56am
  25. What is pretentious about my belief that people are susceptible to being insulted if you make assumptions based off of their sexuality? Isnt that exactly what LBGT people are fighting for? What is pretentious about expecting equality and not one sexual group to dispose superiority? What am I honestly saying that is so rude?

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:07am
  26. This is absolutely beautiful. The two of them, their school, their friends, their family and the LGBT community has made this not only a couple who has support from everyone in their life but can show all of us just how much of the love they do have within this story. Congratulations to them both.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:10am
  27. I’m not acting superior, I am saying what I think. I THOUGHT I was supposed to be empowereed to say how I think society and LBGT issues should work together, not that by having a completely pro gay opinion I can be attacked based off of whether or not I have a vagina, whish is something a four year old would do. You think because you are a woman you have every right to call me a cunt? Way to prove your sexist predispositions as well.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:11am
  28. I think it is because if you read the article you will find that the generation of people the age of the couple in the article could give a crap about if the “cutest couple” is gay or straight. Why should we totally give up assumptions to form ambiguity of sexuality. Equality means being able to be seen as “cutest couple” no matter gay or straight. But, if everything is too equal it becomes a total bore.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:30am
  29. I read the article before I even read your comment; I was on a buzz over how wonderful it was that people were living a more equal and unregulated lifestyle and then I made a comment about how how the cutest couple shouldnt be dictated based off of whether they were gay or not and THEN I was insulted for making that statement based off the fact that apparently the breakdown of the earth is somehow in my birth canal; surprisingly, I though that was kind of an asshole move on the part of people who pretend to be liberal and non judgemental, considering all I did was say, hey, its kind of stupid to attack straight people when the whole concept is pro everybody; or at least, that was the idea.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:36am
  30. James is politely saying your a cunty bore. Kelley “Buzzkillington” Wesley… yawn. You must have been… that girl in school… you know what I mean…. like Hermione in Harry Potter.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:39am
  31. You mean the one who made every victory possible by being so much smarter than everyone else? I think Ill take it. I still think its sad you cant see the irony in your persecution.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:42am
  32. OMG can they be more adorable?! Makes me want to have a son just so I can hope that he might get this lucky!

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 2:00am
  33. Cute? They’re ADORABLE! :)

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 2:01am
  34. Awesome parents and student body!!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 2:10am
  35. let all gingers stay with each other

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 2:19am
  36. u guys have obviously never seen Barney Frank and his bf

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 2:21am
  37. Congrats! We’ve come a long way but still have a long way to go for total equally. That would have NEVER happening when I graduated high school way back in 1981. Oh and yes you guys are a very cute couple!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 2:28am
  38. Makes me proud to have taught there, even if it was 11 years ago.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 2:44am
  39. This would never have happened where I’m from (yeah, I’ll say it — Jonesboro, AR) & probably wouldn’t to this day… I’m ashamed to be from a place that is so bigoted that most of the LGBTQ folks in/near my class moved away before or not long after school… Today, I have friends who would claim this is ‘wrong’ but I sincerely disagree. Much of the country, I’m encouraged to see, is progressive enough to recognize and celebrate equality within diversity. We have a long way to go, but this generation leads the way in open-mindedness and doing the right thing. I’m touched and proud to see it.

KUDOS and best wishes to Dylan and Brad!
    (And a shout out to Diane Maher for her support).

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 3:27am
  40. Potato.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 5:05am
  41. Congrats to the both of You!! You guys make a very adorable couple!! :D

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 5:38am
  42. Kelley, luv I understand where your opinion is coming from, but can’t you just be happy for these two by’s and agree that they are cute instead of going off on a rant about it. And the rest of you should be ashamed of yourself, seriously if you are adults, calling other people vulgar nasty names, says how immature you really are!!

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 5:47am
  43. I think this is great to see! in a time where many are still victims of hate crimes, bullying and other such nonsense, I am so happy to see that these guys get to experience such a positive atmosphere of acceptance…. if only more folks were like those of this school….

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 5:53am
  44. Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 6:09am
  45. refreshing news ^^ something good come for the gay community is year in new York :)

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 6:58am
  46. came

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 6:58am
  47. Truth is they really are cute.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 7:05am
  48. many blessings and keep being cute and safe!

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 7:13am
  49. Wow, I guess some people will look for any reason at all to bully another person. Way to represent the LGBT community,you’re doing wonders for our image.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 8:01am
  50. So cute, anyone who makes fun of them for being gay or tries to do something terrible to them are f****in a***holes and are really stupid.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 8:38am
  51. other then they look like they could be related [i'm sure they're not actually] but it’s fine go on dance , sing , kiss just be you 2 :)

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 9:57am
  52. A boy, whose grandmother I know, took his boyfriend to prom at Provo High School….yes that is in Provo, Utah…and they got a standing ovation as they walked in. The times they are a changing.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 10:15am
  53. Rock on….!!

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 11:09am
  54. I think it’s wonderful, but they aren’t very cute.

Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:13pm