Caterpillar drops support for Boy Scouts over continued ban on gay leaders

Thursday, June 13, 2013

PEORIA, Ill. – Caterpillar Inc. says it will no longer give money to the Boy Scouts of America because the organization doesn’t allow homosexuals to serve as adult leaders.

Caterpillar spokeswoman Rachel Potts says Thursday that the Caterpillar Foundation made the decision while reviewing the groups it supports.

She called the Boy Scouts’ policy barring homosexual adults from serving as scout leaders discriminatory. She said that policy doesn’t square with the Peoria-based heavy equipment maker’s own anti-discrimination policies.

Potts said the decision wasn’t necessarily related to the Boy Scouts of America’s recent decision to allow homosexual scouts, while still prohibiting participation by openly homosexual adults.

A message left with Boy Scouts’ headquarters wasn’t immediately returned.

Other companies such as United Parcel Service and Intel Corporation stopped supporting scouts well before the recent decision.

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. Way to go! Money has power and hit them where it hurts!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 9:43am
  2. Thank you Caterpillar Inc

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 9:47am
  3. How can the boy scout organization continue on with this? They are the GAYEST organization in the world… For gods sake, there’s so many gay experiences happening all the time at the boy scouts might aswell be open about them :)?

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 9:52am
  4. YEAH… more need to..

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:00am
  5. Sorry, Simao, but the Boy Scouts is not a “gay experience”. I’m glad they are finally allowing gay boys to be open, and I think they should allow gay leaders, but the Boy Scouts is not about sex or sexuality. I am gay, and like many gay people, I am very tired of people pushing the false notion that being gay is solely about sex – it isn’t for most of us any more than it is for straight people. Being gay is just as much about love and family as it is for straight people.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:02am
  6. I wouldn’t want my business with a pro discrimination group.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:06am
  7. Thanks Caterpillar! Especially good message from such a “guy” company, if you’ll pardon the stereotyping. BSA needs to get over themselves.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:11am
  8. Well said Jeffrey. Wish all people understood that.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:12am
  9. Well said!

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:29am
  10. I wonder if these bigoted businesses realize that shit like this makes it easier for us to figure out who we should quit giving money to?

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:38am
  11. Caterpillar, you rock. Thank you for taking a stand.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:40am
  12. Caterpillar sucks. boycott Caterpillar

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:46am
  13. that’s the thing though sex is all that a str8 male can envision for himself and for every other male. They project their sexuality’s drive on every one else.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:49am
  14. I hope you realize the BSA lost more money with the ban than before they started the ban?

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 10:52am
  15. I wonder if the BSA boys sell cookies or something like the GSA do to supplement donations?

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 11:03am
  16. What does Caterpillar Inc specialize in? I’ve only heard of them passively, once before.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 12:14pm
  17. I thought the cub/boy scouts were just free baby sitter’s and fundraisers. Why does homosexuality even have anything to do with this? My scout leader was a woman who taught me to braid.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 12:43pm
  18. Pup, with all due respect, if you replace str8 with gay you sound like a Fascist. Generalizations and stereotypes are what we are trying to erase and you are perpetuating it the same way it is used against us.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 12:48pm
  19. Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 1:35pm
  20. The boy scouts are losing by trying to please everyone. Please, either be bigots or be modern and tolerant . . . but just pick one before you destroy yourselves.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 2:43pm
  21. Boycott Caterpillar?? Read the article; they made a good choice based on NOT supporting discrimination.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 2:44pm
  22. I was a scout leader for nearly a decade. Scouting was much more than baby sitting & fundraising, at least in my city. We worked very hard to provide good programs for our scouts. If your scout experience was being babysat & doing fundraisers, the leaders were doing it wrong.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 4:27pm
  23. BSA does an annual popcorn sale to raise money. It may have changed since I was a scout leader, but individual Cub Scout packs & Boy Scout troops are allowed to do fundraisers, in addition to collecting dues. The troop my son was in put on an annual chili supper. The boys did the prep work, the cooking & the clean up & we made enough money each year to pay for awards, merit badges & partial camp scholarships for boys whose parents couldn’t afford the entire fee for summer camp.

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 4:30pm
  24. For anyone who wishes to immerse themself into a world of liberation, excitement and total inhibition; come to our room on Tinychat and take a load off. Feel free to cam up, socialize and meet all kinds of fun free spirited people. http://tinychat.com/wegotpride18

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 5:04pm
  25. We should support them when they have fundraisers in the future. I know I will hunt down Girl Scouts when they sell cookies, so I guess I need to start doing that for the Boy Scouts too…. This will be the first time I’ve even contributed to the BSA as a member of the LGBT community because of their former practices, and I’d be much more forthcoming with my financial contributions if they had went ahead and allowed the adults to be open and honest too. I think their asinine need to be politically correct and, as much as I think they didn’t mean to, label homosexuals as predators has gotten them into a pickle with both the bigots that hate homosexuals, and the homosexuals that don’t care much for those same bigots and the perceived label of predator. The organization has managed to leave both parties with a bad taste in our mouths, but I will go ahead and help their cause for the children’s sake.. I might memo line the check, ‘This would have been twice the amount if you had let adults serve openly too.’

Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 5:07pm