Bert & Ernie celebrate Supreme Court rulings on New Yorker magazine cover

Hate group says 'New Yorker' is promoting child endangerment, abuse
Saturday, June 29, 2013

The upcoming issue of The New Yorker gives a nod to this week’s U.S. Supreme Court rulings on marriage equality, with an unlikely pair gracing its cover — Sesame Street muppets Bert and Ernie.

The New Yorker

Bert and Ernie have long been the subjects of rumors of being a gay couple, but in 2011 the Sesame Workshop issued this statement:

“Bert and Ernie are best friends. They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves. Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets™ do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation.”

The cover prompted outrage from Bryan Fischer, spokesperson for the anti-gay hate group, American Family Association, who called the image “grossly irresponsible.”

Watch:

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Arts & Entertainment

1. How can they be, todays kids watch sponge bob.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:00pm
  2. Oh PLEASE! Bert and Ernie harming kids?!?!

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:00pm
  3. And selling magazines

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:01pm
  4. Hate group should focus more on pedophiles in churches.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:02pm
  5. It’s dangerous for kids to learn acceptance for all people at such a young age! Then they might grow up to be decent human beings!

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:03pm
  6. I’m pretty sure the creators have said bert and ernie have no sexuality or orientation.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:03pm
  7. Hate groups should focus on themselves. Anyone who sees so much hate eveywhere obviously needs help.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:05pm
  8. So maybe they should get a video game that promotes senseless violence and death instead! Dammit raise those kids right!!! We love Bert and Ernie and thank them for sharing UNCONDITIONAL love not bigotry and hate!!!

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:06pm
  9. they have their disagreements but they are still together

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:08pm
  10. Well hate groups are ignorant and no one cares what they think..

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:09pm
  11. Hate groups are just narrow minded people with a lower IQ.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:12pm
  12. Notice he did not explain exactly HOW this promotes child abuse…if you asked him, he’d have no answer, I’m sure, because it makes no sense whatsoever. Idiot.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:15pm
  13. what else would anyone expect from that guy? A homosexual clench? I believe that’s called a cuddle.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:15pm
  14. hahah the hate group is the one that promotes child endangerment

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:15pm
  15. What is it with these groups and seeing pedophilia, incest, and bestiality everywhere they look? a bunch of creepers is what they are

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:15pm
  16. These are the things they would do if it were legal. They simply show their evil proclivities.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:18pm
  17. Thinking people don’t, unfortunately there are far too many non-thinking people.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:20pm
  18. His argument would be circular, saying nothing

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:21pm
  19. Seems pedophiles are the ones that see the slippery slope to pedophilia.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:23pm
  20. Jack Mumm: Cause they actually see themselves and blame us.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:23pm
  21. LMAO ..these IDIOTS need an education,..of course something they would NEVER pay for, along with their atrocious voting record.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:25pm
  22. Because I mean.. who DOESN’T want child-rearing advice from a HATE group? Give me a break.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:28pm
  23. Cuddling promotes child endangerment..I see. Get the straightjacket for the gentleman!

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:29pm
  24. Right! God these people just need to stfu!!

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:34pm
  25. It’s “Bert and Ernie,” not “Ernie and Bert,” goofball.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:34pm
  26. In psychiatry we call it “projection”! Because THIS filthy-minded, frustrated old closet homo couldn’t hug or embrace another man without his dick swelling, he’s projecting that same experience and interpretation into muppets who HAVE NO PENIS! Sick f***!

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:40pm
  27. let them yap yap

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:43pm
  28. by teaching them love is blind and unconditional

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:44pm
  29. Trying to raise two million dollars before 12december 2013 to proof to my girlfriend that everything in life is possible if you try i need a contribution from anyone of any amount from 1dollar to 2million…

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 6:47pm
  30. People have sick minds if they think 2 puppets have anything to do with sexual orientation. They’re puppets !! Plus I would share a bed with my friends as a kid. To this day I still do. Smh .. People need to find something better to complain about. If you’re worried about a puppet, you have your priorities all messed up.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 7:01pm
  31. I suspect somebody is just jealous because they could not conceptualize or execute an art piece as well as this.

Kudos to the art director, designer and illustrators involved. It is such a sweet sentiment, beautifully rendered.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 7:16pm
  32. Sounds like the members of these hate groups didn’t get enough love and attention as children. Poor bitches and bastards. Gay people hate the hate groups.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 8:09pm
  33. Trying to raise two million dollars before 12december 2013 to proof to my girlfriend that everything in life is possible if you try i need a contribution from anyone of any amount from 1dollar to 2million uuu

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 8:31pm
  34. Oh, Pa-Leeease!!! This is asinine!

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 9:09pm
  35. I’m sorry, but this guy is one sick bastard.

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 10:31pm
  36. or pedophiles period. it just happened twice in my area. with two STRAIGHT men. XP

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2013 at 11:05pm
  37. I worked with pedophiles in my career in psych. Statistically, pedophiles are considered to be straight men in their day to day lives. They normally are straight married, or have an opposite sex girlfriend. Yes, women can be pedophiles but this is extremely rare. One of the last churches I attended had a pedophile who joined the church right before me. He worked with the kids, and I noticed all the red flags fairly quickly. I approached him when he started targeting my 7 year old. In a large group of witnesses I told him if he was not a pedophile, to quit throwing up every sign he was. Further, he was not to contact my son, including letters sent to our home, or attempting to get him to leave church grounds (yes, he did that). He couldn’t stand being called out by me, and though I no longer allowed my children in day care, he was clearly losing it. He married a female cop, and she became pregnant. When she was born he took off, he was found a few states away. He had gone into a shooting range, shot 5 rounds, and put the 6th through his brain. He left a note saying he couldn’t live not knowing if he could be trusted with his own daughter. It also had a list of children he had molested. If you feel a situation is odd, ACT ON IT, please. Thanks..Here’s your soap box back.

Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 12:59am