Views & Voices

Sex and the teenage girl: The Kaitlyn Hunt tragedy

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Be honest, how many of you reading this column would have been charged with “lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12-16 years of age” when you were 18?

This is assuming of course that you got caught, and the state you lived in had such laws.

Kaitlyn HuntFamily photo, provided.

Gay sex, straight sex, touching, fondling, groping, licking, sucking – I’m talking sex of any kind. How many of you would right now be registered as a sex offender?

Did you even know at age 18 that you couldn’t have sex or engage in any sort of sexual activity with anyone under the age of 18? Did you know you could go to jail for it? Did you know it was a felony? Did you know you were a sexual predator?

I only ask because this is what the State of Florida is calling 18 year-old Kaitlyn Hunt.

Kaitlyn Hunt was 18 and dating a 14 year-old girl. They were friends, they were both consenting, and they had sex – twice. From all accounts, the girls acted out of affection for one another and neither one were forced into any sort of act.

They are teenagers in love. How many of you remember those feeling?

The second of the sexual relations happened in January, and in February the younger girl’s parents brought her into the Office of the Sheriff to file a complaint against Kaitlyn Hunt. They had this young girl call Kaitlyn while a sheriff investigator monitored the call.

It’s obvious from the arrest record that they young girl was made to ask questions that would confirm that the two girls had sexual relations. It was also obvious that Kaitlyn cares deeply for this young girl as Kaitlyn told the girl during the phone call that she had never been in love with anybody else like her.

Kaitlyn was arrested the following day, and this whole thing just reeks of homophobia.

Had the younger girl’s parents truly been outraged, they would have ended any kind of relationship between the two girls long before Kaitlyn turned 18.

They would have forbidden their daughter to see her, be near her, or have any contact with her. Instead, they wait until six months after Kaitlyn turned 18, and have her arrested. This isn’t outrage – this is revenge – pure and simple.

This is punishment for Kaitlyn allegedly “making” their daughter gay.

And what of their own daughter?

What happens to her? Her name may not be all over the national news, but the kids in her school certainly know who she is. Life as she knew it is most certainly over because of her parent’s homophobia.

It’s pretty clear that her parents will never accept her for who she is, and it’s pretty clear what the road ahead is for her.

More pain, more hurt, more rejection from her parents.

Let’s be realistic — high School kids have sex. That’s just the way it is.

Is it okay for two 14, 15, 16 or 17-year-olds to have consensual sex? According to the law in Florida, yes it is. No one will get arrested or called a sexual predator or have to register as a sex offender.

Pregnant girls can roam the halls of their high schools, but Kaitlyn Hunt may go to jail.

The District Attorney has offered her a deal. Two years house arrest, and she would be allowed to attend school or work in that time, one year probation and she must attend sex offender counseling. A judge would decide whether or not Kaitlyn would have to register as a sex offender.

If she refuses the deal, she goes to trial and faces the possibility of a 15-year prison sentence.

Tell me, what would you do?

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. I dated a 16 year old and took her to my senior prom when I was 18&im not arrested or falsely labeled as a pedophile or sex offender.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:15pm
  2. That’s straight up Bull-hit!!! They should be able to be together. Love is love…..And jail is jail!!!

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:15pm
  3. She’s So Cute!

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:16pm
  4. Well I dated her before I was 18 but still she did the same but is getting railroaded

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:16pm
  5. I feel sad other LGBT rights people are condemning her for dating her when she was 17&was arrested when she turned 18…this world is fübar

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:17pm
  6. That’s fucked up! Dumb ass parents your kid was happ let her be damn. Evam parents become haters now a days

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:17pm
  7. This is not a case of the law being applied to protect an impressionable child from abuse. The child is nearly 16 years old now, and her parents want revenge on the person she loves for “making their daughter gay.”

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:18pm
  8. I’m sorry but sex between a 18 and a 14 is wrong in my opinion. Doesn’t matter of the gender relationship to me.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:20pm
  9. 18 and 14 is illegal even if it was a guy and girl. The 18 year is the adult in the situation and knew better.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:20pm
  10. completely agree . At 14 you are still a child.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:21pm
  11. What this doesn’t tell you is when they started dating they were 15 and 17. That was legal. The age of 14 is incorrect.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:22pm
  12. So your just suppose to stop dating bc you turned 18? That seems stupid to me.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:22pm
  13. This is so sick and wrong how the use loop holes and what not to scare and torture this poor girl ,this will ruin her

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:23pm
  14. Unfortunately Shannen even with that true once someone turns 18 by law they have to stop having sex not stop dating. Her parents have a right to charge after she turned 18. It’s stupid indeed but it’s the law. I feel bad for her because it is her parents being homophobia really.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:24pm
  15. It’s going to ruin both of their lives. The younger girl has even ran away before. I’ve been following this story and it breaks my heart that These parents are doing this.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:25pm
  16. I think these laws need to be federal and not by state. There are lots of states with Romeo and Juliet laws to prevent this from happening.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:26pm
  17. this is just WRONG!

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:26pm
  18. sorry folks! gotta side with the law on this one. Orientation has nothing to do with this! (And, in that regard, if the alleged offender were an 18 y/o male and the alleged victim a 14 y/o female, I believe people would be incensed for an entirely different reason, calling into play societal views of ‘gender roles’ rather than orientation ) Laws are in place to protect those who are presumed to be too youthful to give consent. (Perhaps if the parents WEREN’T predisposed to homophobia MAYBE T-H-E-Y would not have made an issue about this, then again, if the “suspect” were an adult male, wouldn’t most people hope they DID?!?!?) We can only hope whatever intimate contact these two young ladies engaged in does NOT fit the legal definition of a sex crime. Sadly, both young ladies will be forever scarred by the accusations and subsequent investigations regardless of the outcome. Here’s hoping the legal professionals involved weigh the evidence and come to a rational, reasonable conclusion and keep the best interests of the young ladies at the forefront.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:29pm
  19. In Michigan, this would be illegal even if the couple is heterosexual. So why are we making this a gay issue?

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:34pm
  20. Although I absolutely do think that this situation is terrible, and I feel for Kaitlyn Hunt, the answer to all of those questions about ‘did you know when you were 18 that this could happen’ is yes. Yes, I did. So did all the other kids I knew who were my age.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:36pm
  21. See this one is a bit complicated for me. Because while I know that at 14 that I had sexual autonomy to understand consent, it is still an enormous age difference, especially to a parent. Smart money would have been on waiting til the social tipping point of 16, where we all kind of shrug. I support all love but using love to justify whatever you feel like is treacherous. And I’m not even sure this counts as homophobia as all apparent bigotry is lifted from the fact that they waited for the girl to turn 18. Lets spin this the other way. An 18 year old boy (who says he’s in love) has sex with a 14 year old girl. Tell me, how many would be applauding young love then? Let’s be honest, we see men as more predatory and while the shoe fits, it gives us a blind spot for women who take advantage of that double standard. Most likely these parents reacted to the idea that their child wasn’t exploring sex with a peer but with someone who was looking at colleges and took it badly. They got pissed and plotted revenge. They treated her like any other sexual conquerer, now tell me, isn’t that the equal treatment what we wanted? To not be considered more unhealthy or different than anyone else? This sounds to me like any one of the issues faced in sexual offender policies concerning age. But it does not sound like a rainbow flag issue. I want proof before I get out my ‘there is intolerance around’ card.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:38pm
  22. The parents of the younger child made no bones about the age difference, they waited until the older girl turned 18 to press charges because she “made their daughter gay”

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:42pm
  23. In Florida its legal if you are heterosexual. Illegal if you’re not. That’s why.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:42pm
  24. The relationship began when they were both “children,” no hint of coercion or abuse, it’s two kids less than three years apart who are being forced apart by bigoted, malicious, exploitative parents

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:44pm
  25. Did they say this? I want a quote and not heresay. Because otherwise this could be from many things, the fact that you cant legally pin minors, the fact that they wanted a maximum penalty for someone ( anyone) boning their kid. Assuming is what they do to our community, I want this theory validated by witness testimony or reactions of neighbors/family that they appeared homophobic in intention. Otherwise, I don’t plan on flying my rainbow flag. Maybe my ‘make better decisions’ flag or my ‘ we should inspect the issue of age consent country-wide’ flag…

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:45pm
  26. That would be incorrect. Florida Statute Chapter 800.04 Lewd or lascivious offenses committed upon or in the presence of persons less than 16 years of age. Offenders are 18 years of age or older and victims are 12-16 years of age. Nowhere in that law does it say anything about the gender of the people involved. I’m a lesbian, and am all for fighting for equal rights. But equal rights mean equal responsibilities, too.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:46pm
  27. What they should do is call the ACLU and try to get the Romeo and Juliet law extended to cases that are not heterosexual. That is what makes this an LGBT rights issue

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:46pm
  28. 1. The parents of the younger girl made no issue of the age difference, they are exploiting it with malice against the same-sex nature of the relationship.

2. The Romeo and Juliet law that would save the older girl from these charges only applies to heterosexual relationships, which is plain-as-day discrimination against homosexuals

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:49pm
  29. Because all I can find is the older girl making comments which are her own opinion of their motives and the facts that she took a 14 yr old into a bathroom and touched her sexually. You don’t get a free pass bc you are a girl. Sorry, you don’t. Don’t feel up a middle schooler unless you want the backlash involved. Word to the wise, wait ( God, at least until high school). Especially if youre dating someone who runs away from home ie they probably don’t have rational parents you can explain yourself to.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:51pm
  30. It’s not 18 and 14. It was 17 and >14, it’s now 18 and >15, nearly 16

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:51pm
  31. This pisses me off.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:53pm
  32. Unfortunately, this happens to young straight people unjustly as well. I worked in a jail and saw this miscarriage of justice often, especially if the younger happened to be a cop’s child.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:53pm
  33. If you fucking read up, you will see. The older girl’s parents attest to it. The girls were 17 and 14, now 18 and 15. They were both in high school.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:56pm
  34. Jim it seems to me that Jackie needs to research this story before commenting.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 2:57pm
  35. I’m just going to say this: A person’s brain does not fully develop until the age of 25. This includes the portion of the brain that is charge of making decisions. The arbitrary age of considering someone an adult at 18 is pretty ridiculous in and of itself because in terms of brain maturation they are still technically children. http://www.academic.marist.edu/mwwatch/fall05/science1.htm

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:04pm
  36. i agree with you, Jim…..it’s sad and i worry about what happens to these 2 young girls….BOTH are being HURT by these HATEFUL parents.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:08pm
  37. the parents of the younger one is BLAMMING the 18 yr. old for “turning their daughet GAY”….that;s WHY it’s an issue.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:10pm
  38. the parents of the younger is BLAMMING the other of turning their daughter GAY….and they didn’t seem to have a problem before the older 1 turned 18….she was ALREADY older then their daughter….and didn’t STOP IT.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:12pm
  39. The page her parents made says 17 and 14. And it really doesn’t matter if its 4 years or 3. She technically broke the law and it’s unfortunate but true. If she were a boy, we would never hear about or be defending this scenario. That is a double standard, in my opinion. If you want to change the law, then do so. That is the big issue here. But until then this is not a gay issue and the more mature of these ‘Romeo and Juliet’ couples needs to keep their pants on in the future. This young person’s parents might have had homophobic reasons for taking her to court but we can’t prove it and she isn’t in court because she is gay, she broke the law in her state. So vote for consent age issues at a federal level because while this is a bummer, I don’t sense that is a specific swing at us. In the end, this is really no different than a straight scenario with parents and children fighting consent and heresay and it deserves the same attention. Plenty of straight cases have met the same sorry end, getting involved because this girl’s parents might have shittier than usual reasons, is jus not enough justification—Either we fight for sex offender reform in all cases or we don’t, that’s it. If this were a state invoking a law that specifically attacks us, ie a sodomy law, I’d be all over it. But in our country, if you are any adult, you get slapped with a sex offender sign if you stick your hand down a kid’s pants.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:13pm
  40. The romeo and juliet law is necessary because the age of consent is 18 in FL. Unless you think sex is immoral the moment the older partner turns 18. Thing is, the law only applies to heterosexual relationships! This is discrimination against homosexuals.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:18pm
  41. This is a journalism problem too. The articles are severely biased, because we all want to see gay love succeed in our society. But I believe in informed consensual sex and from the looks of this youngster running away from home, I cant tell if she is informed or just vulnerable to any and all affection. Also the quote is coming from the 18 yr old and I would certainly be saying all manner of things if I were being smeared by the community. And the Romeo and Juliet law does not have any specifics about gender either, it simply hasn’t been tried with a same sex couple. My guess is she’ll get a slap on the wrist, some community service and move. This sucks for her but it really doesn’t need our input.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:19pm
  42. yeah, i know. and BEFORE the older one turned 18, the alleged crime wasn’t technically a crime…. but you did voice what I eluded too… societal gender roles – would the parents have been prone to (over?) reaction if the alleged suspect were an 18 y/o male AND would society in general be less accepting? PERSONALLY, I don’t think this has to do with Gender OR Orientation in the EYES OF THE LAW – however, in the eyes of the LGBTQ community relative to THESE relevant ‘news blurbs’ it seems the focus is ONLY on Gender & Orientation and AGE is being overlooked. The law(s) being considered for application have no verbiage relative to gender, orientation et.al – the law is defined by the State mandated Age of Consent. I’m not SUPPORTING the persecution/prosecution of the alleged offender – i’m simply stating this forum is presenting a lopsided view and making this an Orientation issue when clearly it is based upon the age of the females involved.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:21pm
  43. I would have been! This is outrageous.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:23pm
  44. It doesn’t say it specifically won’t cover same sex relationships, only that it hasn’t been tried. If they fight it for that reason, then sure we go into battle but two kids having sex isn’t our prerogative. With all the coverage and allegations, I doubt she’ll be blocked from using this defense and she’ll get a slap on the wrist. Personally though I want us to be legal in the system and I do not like when someone uses her sexuality, gender, race or religion to avoid the same legal penalties afforded by everyone else. I certainly don’t want her to suffer under a felony for her lifetime but if some boy had the same defense, most of us would call him a scum bag and that hypocrisy is not good for us. We need to be equal, not known for making exceptions and ducking the law. Personally I think you should be knowledgeable about your minor sexual laws when dating, they’re public knowledge via the internet. Two minors having sex isn’t the end of the world but I would rather have us nitpick consent then use the army justice of ‘all rape all the time’. She’ll be fine, I have no doubt this will just be an embarrassment for her and force FL to check into their laws on dating.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:25pm
  45. For everyone crying “Pedophile!”, the age difference is on the very edge of legal ambiguity. The younger girl is NOT 14; she’s almost 16. The older girl only recently turned 18. The fact of the matter is, no one involved, neither the girls nor any of the parents, made an issue of the age difference. The younger girl’s parents are homophobic, and are exploiting the age difference in order to ruin the life of a girl whose parents are defending her and the relationship.

This relationship had no legal case against it when it began. Now, one of them is an “adult” because she’s been around the sun 18 full times a little sooner than her partner. Locking up this girl will not do a goddamn thing to prevent sexual abuse, in fact it’s destroying these girls’ lives.

If you think this poor girl seriously belongs in the sex offender’s registry, either you don’t know the details, you don’t understand the legal muck of the situation, or your ethics are backwards.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:29pm
  46. The law is the law. I’ve seen and heard of plenty of instances where heterosexual partners were in the same boat. The older person either takes the high road and stops messing with what the law considers a minor until such time as they aren’t a minor (dating doesn’t have to include sex, you know) or the older one continues their sexual relationship and risks this backlash. There have been a lot of 18 year old boys that have been tried and convicted because their 15 year old girlfriends’ parents have cried foul. This case is no different and this irrational reasoning for it isn’t more wrong than any other irrational reasoning.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:30pm
  47. I have yet to find anything about this case that signifies it is because of it being a homosexual relationship. And I have also yet to see an article that states the parents KNEW about the relationship prior to when they reported it. If you have some links that share this info please put them up, otherwise shut up and stop trying to somehow make this about being “LGBT” instead of it being about the injustice of someone being punished for having sex with someone from their own school.

Seriously…

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:34pm
  48. Well said Jackie… well said indeed.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:37pm
  49. Don’t even get me started on age-laws. Most are nothing short of worthless fear-mongering lobbied by a bunch of worthless parents. There is such hypocrisy over age…

18 – can have sex, join the military, get the death penalty, buy rifle/shotgun, be jailed for life, you get more severe punishments…

Oh, but you can’t drink until you’re 21.

P.S. You can drive when you’re 16 (operate heavy machinery that can kill).

And let’s not forget that some states the age of consent is ACTUALLY 18 with a few states even higher for “women only”!

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:41pm
  50. The Romeo and Juliet Law does not make it legal, and does not list anything about genders involved, either. It simply means that she could be saved the trials of having to register, if convicted. I’m all for her being given the opportunity to partake of that loophole. She is a young woman, that made a stupid mistake. But, that does not make this a gay issue, beyond the potential reason that the parents pressed charges. It could just as easily by some young girl’s parents, going after the boy that “stole” their little girl’s virginity. And that happens every day.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:42pm
  51. Yeah, blame the parents. They’re doing this “just because they’re gay” *rolls eyes*. I have YET to find anything to indicate this being related to “homosexuality” but please… feel free to share any links that might support this.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:43pm
  52. P.S. 14 isn’t a “child” or “defenseless” nor “incapable of making decisions like this”. They were very close in age and BOTH girls are most likely in the same (or very close to the same) level of mental, emotional, and cognitive maturity. Most people don’t fully develop their cognitive and “stop and think” portion of themselves until well into their 20′s. To say that the two of them were “wrong” for falling in love or not “breaking up with them” just because one turned 18 is just worthless and immature. Its a parent getting scared and acting like prick because of their own internal insecurities and fears.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:47pm
  53. Her mistake was turning 18. or sleeping with a 14 yo.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:47pm
  54. Thank you….

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:48pm
  55. And still no links or evidence to support this being LGBT related… seriously? AssUMe much? (Each capital starts a new word) The problem is there are too many people who WANT this to be about discrimination… they WANT it to be LGBT related… because well, they have nothing better to do and are too stuck up their own agenda’s arse to see correctly.

Until someone gives me some evidence to say otherwise, this is about abusive and discriminatory AGE laws, not sexual orientation…

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:51pm
  56. No Problem! :-)

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:57pm
  57. For one Jess if this was a male I would feel the same way. This is wrong no matter gay or straight male or female.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 4:09pm
  58. Thomas I agree. 16 to drive and 17 for a rated R movie. Age restrictions need to be looked at.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 4:24pm
  59. My ex husband would have been charged utirely stupid her parents should rot in h—.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 5:09pm
  60. Kaitlyn was 17 when the relationship started and the girls parents did nothing until Kaitlyn was 18 . They didn’t try to stop it, they didn’t call Kaitlyn’s parents to try to stop it , they let it go on for 6 more months and THEN brought their daughter to the sheriff to file charges. This is a pathetic display of ignorance and blatant homophobia wrapped up neatly in a package of revenge against the girl they think “made ” their daughter gay! Unfortunately for Kaitlyn she lives in an ultra-conservative district and her chances of being found not guilty if she were to go to trial are quite small. Taking a plea means 2 years of house arrest and possibly having to register as a sex offender. This is a pathetic and sad situation that will surely ruin Kaitlyn’s life and also the life of her girlfriend who if she is really gay will obviously never be accepted by her parents and can look forward to a difficult life if she stays in her hometown. Thank God that at least Kaitlyn has her families full support, unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be enough to get her out of this truly effed up situation! BTW where the hell is Lambda Legal and why aren’t they helping her?!!!

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 5:13pm
  61. too many damned morongs get elected to office with these fake violent values.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 5:25pm
  62. The parents are the ones at fault, they waited until the olderr turned 18 then filed stupid ass charges. Iam pissed at the parents in my book thisi entrapment.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 5:59pm
  63. I just got done signing the petition on Change.org. This is absolutely ridiculous, the relationship started when the older girl was 17 and the parents just waited until she turned 18 to go to the police. Their reason being that the older girl turned their daughter “gay”. Wow, are these folks ignorant. If they want to make an issue out of the relationship that’s one thing but blaming the girl for their daughter’s sexual orientation is beyond ridiculous.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 6:17pm
  64. Okay then why do parents allow children to make their own decisions on occasion?

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 8:31pm
  65. I agree! Ignorance and fear are the breeding grounds for irrational thought and action. And i also agree with your final observation – no one can “turn another person gay”. I feel bad for all involved….

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 10:23pm
  66. Cary, can we safely presume you did not engage in sexual contact with your youthful date? Therein lies the difference between your scenario and the one presented. At 18, had you engaged in what would legally be considered “inappropriate sexual contact” you COULD HAVE been charged accordingly. Let’s be thankful you had the foresight to realize what behavior was appropriate :)

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 10:46pm
  67. Still this is just wrong. The law is abused by homophobic or vengeful parents who hate the person their child is dating. If they’re in high school together a law needs to protect them from loopholes like this.

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 10:50pm
  68. I think the crux of this alleged crime is being misconstrued. This allegation was NOT levied due to a DATING RELATIONSHIP, it’s about what is legally appropriate conduct between two people, gender/orientation aside, based on their ages: over 18 Vs under 18. I’m a little annoyed the LGBTQ Nation’s community is attempting to make this a “gay issue”. Let’s play devil’s advocate…. at what age should sexual contact be considered inappropriate??? 16 Vs 12? 19 Vs 15? 11 Vs 7? Notice i left GENDER & ORIENTATION o-u-t of the scenarios?!?!? Why? Because genitalia has NOTHING to do with this incident. The parents of the younger girl MAY be using the Law as a ‘weapon’ but in reality, it is well within their right to do so based on Florida State Law. One doesn’t have to agree with the law; and one certainly doesn’t have to like it – BUT, ONE CAN’T IGNORE IT because one finds it disturbing on some level. LGBTQ Nation – here’s a thought…. instead of inciting public opinion, why not hire a legal team to represent Ms. Hunt. Put your money where your ‘mouth is’ . If LGBRQ N thinks this is a gay issue – MAKE IT ONE – Represent the defendant, Challenge the statute based on Sexual Orientation. I’m afraid you will discover you can’t, because NO WHERE in the law is there a stipulation based on Gender/Orientation – the qualifier is based on AGE, and yes, the whole damn situation is just….. sad

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 10:55pm
  69. Stop the discrimination against gay people , it is pathetic and disgusting!!

Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 11:45pm