Minnesota

Minn. group spent $2M lobbying for same-sex marriage

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

ST. PAUL, Minn. — The group that pushed Minnesota lawmakers to legalize gay marriage invested more than $2 million in its successful lobbying effort.

Minnesotans United for All Families leader Richard Carlbom disclosed the figure Wednesday to The Associated Press.

That amount should rank Minnesotans United at or near the top of legislative lobbying this year if history is any guide. The Minnesota Chamber of Commerce and Xcel Energy are the only entities to recently surpass $2 million in a single year, and some of that includes lobbying state utilities regulators.

The Minnesotans United money fueled personal lobbying, phone banks and television commercials. The group used 14 lobbyists.

Gay marriage advocates went from narrowly defeating a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage last fall to winning the new law in mid-May.

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Minnesota

1. The “notion” that we, as a community, have to invest money to pass laws is beyond me. We are citizens, and folks try to give us less, but they still expect us to pay the same taxes. Insane.

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:19pm
  2. Minnesota isn’t too far from here, I can get over the cold :3

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:20pm
  3. why does money have to ..talk so loudly..is it because our government or some of it at least wants it that way?

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:25pm
  4. why arent’ our voices louder than money?

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:26pm
  5. Well spent but still why must we pay to have our rights made priority?

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:33pm
  6. I think maybe because the religious nuts’ voices seemed to be louder. I was about to post a comment with the link to that article on it on one of the Minnesota for Marriage post, but I might not. Oh well. Anyway, I’ll go over there to see if they’re still butthurt over the legalization of gay marriage.

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:36pm
  7. Money can help change public opinion by presenting the LGBTQ community in a positive light. Donate locally to those organizations needing the dollars to do that good PR work. Help create the change today!!!

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:39pm
  8. why see if they are ..butthurt over it..?

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:44pm
  9. I have been to many fb sites and pages that are anti gay and anti gay marriage..and there is so much negativity and negative energy..i stay away from them..i don’t need it..

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:45pm
  10. I can’t stand religious crazies… They can believe whatever they wish but don’t shove it into my life, that’s called discrimination. The 14th amendment prohibits that people… Go back to school and learn acceptance.

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 4:54pm
  11. it’s not just a lot of religious people that lobby against same sex marriages..there are others out there who believe it’s not normal for same sex relationships..and will do what they can to get it stopped..just because they don’t believe it’s normal.

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 5:00pm
  12. I guess no matter what I say, you’re probably not going to agree with my reasoning about why I go on those pages, which is okay. I guess I find seeing how people on Minnesota for Marriage and other anti-gay pages react to gay marriage being legalized somewhere mildly entertaining. They get so overly dramatic about it to the point of being comedic, acting like the world is going to end and crap like that. Also, I find it very hard to be silent and not mess with them about it. I guess I must be a bad person for feeling schadenfreude about it, but it’s fun just making them look bad.

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 6:59pm
  13. its anyones choice to do as they do..Jessica..

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 6:59pm
  14. personally at this time i prefer not to see all the negativity and cold harshness of the anti gay comments

Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 7:00pm