History in the high court

Lesbian cousin of Chief Justice to attend U.S. Supreme Court hearing on Prop 8

Sunday, March 24, 2013

The lesbian cousin of U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts will be among the invited guests at Tuesday’s historic hearing on the constitutionality of Proposition 8, California’s ban on same-sex marriage.

Jean PodraskyFacebook

Jean Podrasky, 48, an accountant from San Francisco and the first cousin of the chief justice on his mother’s side, will be seated in a section of the court room reserved for family members and guests of the justices, reported the Los Angeles Times.

Podrasky obtained the highly coveted courtroom seats by emailing Roberts’ sister, Peggy Roberts, and then going through his secretary. Roberts knows she is attending, she said. She, her partner, her sister and her niece will attend Tuesday’s arguments on Proposition 8.

On Wednesday, her father will take her niece’s place for the hearing on the challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act.

Although Podrasky says she has no personal knowledge of Roberts’ views on same-sex marriage, she hopes the court will overturn the 2008 ballot initiative, leaving her free to marry her partner of four years, Grace Fasano.

“Everyone in this country has a family member who is part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community…,” Podrasky wrote in a column for the San Francisco-based National Center for Lesbian Rights, that will be emailed to members on Monday.

“As a Californian, I want nothing more than to marry my wonderful girlfriend. And as a tax-paying citizen, I seek basic fairness.”

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. I hope she kicks his robed ass

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 10:26pm
  2. I think this is a message – forthcoming – me thinks they will decide – Prop 8 was unconstitutional as was DOMA … that is what I think … :)

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 10:28pm
  3. I’d take this as a good sign.

I doubt Roberts is so cold as to invite his “honored guest” to the hearing, just to spit in her face.

Call me an optimist. :)

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 10:29pm
  4. One of the biggest positives for changing minds is close family members identifying as GLBT.

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 10:30pm
  5. Its over! This is a culture war and even the conservatives with a mind in them are jumping. It is 2013, and we must work on American fiscal, educational and medical problems. However, without solving social unrest, the world can not move on. It happened to bring people here in 1607, it happened in 1776, 1820, 1860, 1916, 1921, 1945, 1963, 1989, 2001 and 2009. The world looks up to us and sadly we are behind much of them on this basic issue of liberty and freedom. This whole mess will be over very soon, and I’m actually glad to have lived and seen both sides in my life. The supreme court votes for the constitution… that means that voting on the rights of a minority or denying them right held by the many are void. Its over.

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 10:42pm
  6. Ooooooooooo…..!!! Your skeletons are falling out of the closet, Mr Roberts!!!! lol!!

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 10:45pm
  7. You go girl!!!

Posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 11:17pm
  8. The tide really has turned. And let’s pray this progressive momentum never runs out for the children and ourselves the world is entering the beginning of an amazing age of tolerance and all men equal under the law. THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER :D

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:11am
  9. I love watching things change, hard to believe!!

Posted on Monday, March 25, 2013 at 7:54am