Meg Whitman, former Prop 8 supporter, now an advocate for same-sex marriage

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Meg Whitman, the president and chief executive officer of Hewlett-Packard, who, as a GOP candidate for Governor of California in 2010 supported Proposition 8, the voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, is now one of more than 75 prominent Republicans to publicly support marriage equality for gays and lesbians.

Whitman is among dozens of GOP leaders to have signed an amicus brief that will be filed this week in the case of Hollingsworth v. Perry, the federal challenge seeking to strike down Proposition 8.

Meg Whitman

In a statement posted on LinkedIn Tuesday, Whitman explains her new found support for same-sex marriage:

I have come to embrace same-sex marriage after a period of careful review and reflection. As a candidate for governor three years ago, I supported Proposition 8. At the time, I believed the people of California had weighed in on this question and that overturning the will of the people was the wrong approach. The facts and arguments presented during the legal process since then have had a profound impact on my thinking.

[...]

Whitman concludes that she, like several others who have either sought or held public office, “including President Obama, I have changed my mind on this issue.”

“Same-sex couples and their children should have equal access to the benefits of marriage,” she wrote.

The amicus brief argues that same-sex marriage promotes family values by allowing children of gay couples to grow up in two-parent homes, and that it advances conservative values of “limited government and maximizing individual freedom.” (A complete list of signatories on the brief is here.)

The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear oral arguments in the case on March 26.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. She found her brain!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:05pm
  2. She has figured out she wants to be on the right side of History.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:05pm
  3. ’bout freaked time.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:06pm
  4. What is she running for now

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:06pm
  5. So she stopped pandering to the fundamentalists fools.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:06pm
  6. If she HAD won office, who really thinks this “realization” would have happened?

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:09pm
  7. You supported 8 when you were hunting for votes, I say thanks, too finally the correct position far too late.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:09pm
  8. LMAO

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:09pm
  9. Better late than never!

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:10pm
  10. sounds like a Mitt Romney move to me!

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:10pm
  11. Hmm this hypocrite doesn’t want to go down in history as a bigot

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:21pm
  12. Richard she helped get prop8 passed in CA screw that better late then never crap

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:22pm
  13. I don’t care if these people are just flip flopping for popularity (that’s just what politicians do), as long as they’re on our side, I’m pretty damn happy! The more the merrier! If they flip flop back like Romney, then we have the right to be all judgmental and angry.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:22pm
  14. betcha its just for votes…hell i think shed say just about anything to get votes

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:23pm
  15. At least the ugly bitch did something right.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:25pm
  16. Great! But a whole lot of nothing way to late.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:26pm
  17. yeah I think it’s to gain popularity so she can spend her wealth to buy something else besides trying to buy the Governors mansion in California. If they really have a change of conscience it’s one thing but just flipping for popularity and votes, I don’t trust them

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:30pm
  18. Still don’t like her, but will take support for equality wherever it can be found.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:31pm
  19. I’m not sure panderers who recant are particularly praiseworthy.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:32pm
  20. She’s still a frickin’ phoney ass be-otch! Don’t like her and will never like her! You can’t do harm to someone and then expect them to forgive you! Stupid hypocritical c**t!

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 3:48pm
  21. Where is her check?

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 4:03pm
  22. Fair weathered friend. She’s not running for anything so she has nothing to lose. I still wouldn’t own an HP.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 4:04pm
  23. suddenly, supporting same-sex marriage is trendy? Hey, I’ll take it!

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 4:17pm
  24. Convenient politics.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 4:20pm
  25. A GOP who reviewed the facts, THOUGHT about it and changed her mind? I never thought I’d see that in my lifetime…

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 4:23pm
  26. It’s not a CHANGE OF HEART OR MIND. It’s a matter of SHE WANTS YOUR VOTES and YOUR MONEY!

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 5:04pm
  27. I would still tell her to piss off.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 5:09pm
  28. She doesn’t want your votes — she’s not running for office anymore. SHe’s the CEO of Hewlett Packard.

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 6:03pm
  29. I don’t want her on my side. HP is a crappy company, my three year old, $1,800.00 laptop, has been fixed twice, since I purchased it, now, the same problem, no part, HP doesn’t care and I’m out another $250.00 to fix it. I don’t want nothing to with HP and I don’t want them to represent me, since my money is not represented!

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 8:23pm