Texas

Fort Worth party facility refuses to host gay couple’s reception: ‘We don’t do that’

Thursday, February 21, 2013

FORT WORTH, Texas — A gay couple in Fort Worth, Texas said that a local meeting and party facility has refused to lease them space for their upcoming wedding reception because they are gay.

Justin Hudgins (left) and Ben Allen

Ben Allen and Justin Hudgins told KXAS-TV that after eight years together, they had decided to get married, in Mexico, because same-sex marriages are not legal in Texas.

But when they contacted the All Occasion Party Place, upon learing that the event would be for a gay couple, the owner refused to lease the space, telling them, “we don’t do that here.”

In a subsequent email after the phone conversation, the owner wrote: “It is because of God that I will not be a part in your reception and I know he loves you but not what you are doing.”

“It almost felt like a sucker-punch to the face,” Allen told KXAS-TV. “Initially, I didn’t know how to respond, so I called Justin immediately and told him what happened.”

“I was kind of floored a bit. I thought, in today’s day and age, for someone to deny you simply because you date someone of the same sex, it doesn’t really make sense to me.”

Allen and Hudgins will be married in Mexico on April 6 and plan to have their friends and family at a private reception when they return home.

All Occasion Party Place is located just outside the Fort Worth city limits in Tarrant County, so it doesn’t fall under the city’s anti-discrimination code, which does offer protection in such situations.

The owner of the facility refused to comment.

Filed under: Texas

1. Who gives a shit if you don’t do that, do it anyway!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:03pm
  2. If there going to think that way let them. just imagine how much money they will loose when DOMA is overturned !

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:05pm
  3. phone # to call them please

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:06pm
  4. Depsicable hate mongers.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:07pm
  5. Anti discrimination laws are bullshit. If these bigots want to show their bigotry out in the open, then we should share that bigotry with the world.

And vote with our dollars. You don’t change society by forcing everybody to accept you. You change society by not accepting bigots yourself in civilized society.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:08pm
  6. Maybe it’s time to change the name of the business to something more appropriate. They aren’t the All Occasion Party Place.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:08pm
  7. Everyone contact that place and overload them with complaints and share this on face book for others to do the same. We just did it last night for a lesbian couple who had a ceremony in Mississippi and found out the newspaper in Mississippi that wrote the article and got hate mail for doing so in support of the lesbian couple..well they got so much response on their on line new paper site for subscription orders and positive comments it crashed their site!! They are overjoyed at our standing up for them as they stood up for us!!

Share !!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:09pm
  8. Its amazing that smart business people turn into narrow-minded right wing religious freaks at the site of the LGBT community. Would he rent his space to a straight swingers group? Hummmm.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:10pm
  9. just tell the facility its a party

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:10pm
  10. such nonsense to refuse people its like refusing someone of there religon or color of skin.it just proves that ignorance is contagious.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:11pm
  11. Narrow minded? You mean rigid minded.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:11pm
  12. They need to change the name of that place to the ONLY STRAIGHT Occasion Party Place. If they were TRULY professional, they wouldn’t deny the service, OR the money for that matter. That’s not a place ANYONE should deal with. Condescending bastards.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:13pm
  13. Being from Dallas myself, I am not surprised :/

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:13pm
  14. That’s ok. Someone else will get their money. I didn’t realize gay money was different from straight money. I thought money was money…..lol Stupid facility! I like how they say WE DON’T DO THAT. You don’t lease your space out for events and parties?

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:15pm
  15. what do you expect from that part of the world ignorance at best!!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:17pm
  16. It seems like we’re reading these stories week after week..venues,bakers…Frustrating & I am always sorry that there is a couple that has to go through the stress and anger of being denied service. However, I maintain we have to look at it why would we want to give these bigots our hard earned dollars? Why support their goal of a profitable business if they won’t support our goal of equality!? With stories of bigotry like this we often find out about several businesses in that same city that are happy to support LGBT rights…I found the perfect bakery to use for our June bday/anniversary celebration because of another bigoted baker who made recent headlines.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:18pm
  17. WOW still amazing how this racism will just never end PARENTS stop teaching your children to be like this , you will have to answer GOD why you chose to be hateful!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:18pm
  18. Yes, Texas is behind the times. But not every Texan is. I’m in Dallas and think this is terrible! The owner needs to leave his homophobia at home and realize he is running a business. Of course he didn’t have a response. What could he say? To throw God in there makes me sick. God hates hateful, homophobic people. Idiot! I will be contacting them @ http://www.alloccasionpartyplace.com/ I’d really like to give them a piece of my mind. Also passing this along to EVERY local news station. Time to call them out for their BS! Sick and tired and not going to take it anymore. And for the record, I am married to a man.. but supportive of the GLBT community! I dream of a day my daughter can marry her girlfriend and hold her head high.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:20pm
  19. That’s funny–I didn’t notice the emblem for A$$hats International on the Fort Worth city limits sign…

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:22pm
  20. Just emailed them a piece of my mind.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:24pm
  21. Sickens me such hate in people. We need to educate our children to be like this. We are all equal no matter of our likes or dislikes.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:26pm
  22. Stage a boycott and ask all your friends and family not to use their facility and find yourself a great venue that wants your business and promote that place to your friends and family as a great alternative.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:30pm
  23. Lets stop just reading this stuff… Let your opinion known!! Contact info found here: http://www.alloccasionpartyplace.com/contact-us.html Contact Us
    Cell: (682) 553-6542
    Office: (817) 561-9595
    Email: allocassionparty@gmail.com
    Physical address: 6765 Rendon Blood Worth Forth Worth, Texas 76140
    Mailing address: P.O. Box 40263 Fort Worth, Texas 76140

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:32pm
  24. Seems to me that PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION LAWS would knock these bigots in the teeth.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:33pm
  25. Get over it! Find a business that will and give your Gay dollar to them. It’s there loss!!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:39pm
  26. what a shame in this day and age! so sick of the knuckle-draggers

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:47pm
  27. newsflash:”in these days and time”??homophobia was never gone!its everywhere-even here in germany,which still dont allow full-right-gay-marriage,or adoption…..to be honest-my feeling is,the peoples tolerance is going backwards since the 90ies.its getting worse-thats what my feeling is

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:50pm
  28. Yeah-find a different venue-obviously that establishment is run by idiots-I wish I had their number-I’d call them and they would wish I wouldn’t have!!!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:57pm
  29. Well, Obama support gay marriage is what makes other straight people MAD.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:01pm
  30. Sucks this still happens

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:07pm
  31. Did anyone watch the video at the TV station? What a 70′s throwback dump that place is. I’m sure they can find a nicer place that is home to bigots.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:09pm
  32. I just hope the Supreme Court rules soon and puts an end this ignorance.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:09pm
  33. Maybe they should hear an earful of what we actually think. Thought I’d jot down their contact information, before they take it off of their website:

Contact Us:
    Cell: (682) 553-6542.
    Office: (817) 561-9595.
    Email: allocassionparty@gmail.com.
    Physical address: 6765 Rendon Blood Worth Forth Worth, Texas 76140.
    Mailing address: P.O. Box 40263 Fort Worth, Texas 76140.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:39pm
  34. THESE HATERS SHOULD GET OUT OF A PUBLIC SERVICE, if they can’t treat the public equally!!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:39pm
  35. Just look another place, they will lose money at the end of the day, no us, but thank you for the notice, and this prevented someone now

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:53pm
  36. Their loss

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:54pm
  37. That’s terrible! Good luck guys

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 2:23pm
  38. Texas is stupid . . . I know, I live here.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 2:24pm
  39. All Occasion Party Place all are welcome unless you just happen to be Gay. How bigoted.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 2:41pm
  40. Let the court decide. It’s discrimination period.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 3:14pm
  41. BS! discrimination!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 3:19pm
  42. Texas and Texans are way behind the rest of the USA. Maybe they are getting up to 1820!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 3:19pm
  43. BOYCOTT !!!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 4:17pm
  44. “All Occasion Party Place”… my ass!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 4:28pm
  45. Yes, boycott. I don’t understand why these people say it’s because of God. What? If they were accepting and not judgmental, that would be because of God. They have been fooled by the great deceiver.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 6:34pm
  46. What a shame on them!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 6:37pm
  47. Damn shame, Well your lost

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 7:42pm
  48. Would be glad to host it here at our B&B…

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 7:48pm
  49. Looks like another business that wants boycotting!!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 7:50pm
  50. Boycott time!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 8:07pm
  51. There are great places in Ft. Worth to have a reception or party. Check out the museums, guys! I’ll bet you could do it at one of them!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 8:36pm
  52. Hey, what did you expect? It’s Ft Worth!

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 9:50pm
  53. why would any LGBT people give those gay bashing thugs money – tell everyone to boycott them

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 10:07pm
  54. Fuck that company.

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 10:47pm
  55. First of all, this Gay Couple should know better; after all they are in TEXAS! Secondly, why book a reception with a facility that is known to be ANTI-Gay?

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 11:56pm
  56. I encourange area residents to Not use their facility.

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2013 at 4:49am