NY Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard’s apology: Gay slur a Twitter ‘mishap’

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Newly acquired New York Mets pitcher Noah Syndergaard issued an apology Tuesday after becoming the latest professional athlete caught for tweeting an anti-gay slur.

Syndergaard, 20, acquired Monday from the Toronto Blue Jays in a highly publicized deal, reportedly sent a tweet to minor league player Dayton Marze earlier this month, commenting on Marze’s footwear: “@DMarze89 nice crocs fag lol”, according to the New York Daily News.

Noah Syndergaard

During a conference call with New York media on Tuesday, Syndergaard called the incident a Twitter “mishap.”

“I had a little mishap on Twitter about a month ago, and it was just brought to the attention this morning,” Syndergaard said.

“I’d just like to apologize for anything that was said. A buddy and I were having a little conversation. I had a poor attempt at humor and an even worse attempt at using a term I shouldn’t have used. I hope I didn’t offend anybody.

“I’m really sorry my first introduction to being a New York Met had to be like this.”

The tweet, posted on Dec. 9 by Syndergaard, has since been deleted from his timeline, but a spokesman for the Mets said the team was investigating the incident.

It was just three months ago when Syndergaard’s former team mate, then-Toronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar wrote “tu ere maricon” (“you are a faggot”) on his eye block.

Escobar was dealt a three-game suspension for that slur, forfeiting wages of $82,000., which was donated to LGBT causes.

Archives: , , , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. I am so tired of hearing fake apologies.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:08pm
  2. who isn’t?

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:08pm
  3. doesn’t matter that he apologized for it, the damage has already been done.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:08pm
  4. Apology not accepted.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:09pm
  5. Mishap? Ugh…

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:09pm
  6. disengenuous

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:10pm
  7. right back at ya, fag.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:11pm
  8. He’s only sorry that he got in trouble for it.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:12pm
  9. that was a comment between friends. not meant as a slight against us or our culture.. grow the fack up people.. it would be different if he was using it in a different way. this is out of hand. he appologized – but the remark was between friends and should be left at that.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:12pm
  10. People really need to THINK before they say or type something so they don’t put themselves in a position to say sorry.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:12pm
  11. Hard to believe you guys care so much, no wonder the word has so much power over everyone… -_-

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:15pm
  12. at least he apologized…many don’t apologize for being the stupid fucks that they are

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:15pm
  13. He’s afraid of losing money… That’s why he apologized… Complete Crap!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:17pm
  14. He isnt sorry he said it. Hes sorry he got caught. Im sure he reused that word after

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:19pm
  15. What an ASS!!!

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:19pm
  16. Wait wait wait…this was all over the word “fag”? This word has multiple meanings on it’s own. Why on earth would anyone apologize over something so silly? There was no anti-gay message behind what he was saying. Ugh. I’m a lesbian myself, and this kind of stuff has never offended me. It’s not the word that’s the problem, but the context. There was no bad context behind it. It’s stupid to charge and suspend this man over a word he wrote on the INTERNET.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:19pm
  17. But wait a minute, it is ok for us to claim he is not truly sorry – without even knowing him.. Or for people like Elyse Quadrozzi to use the same term is a defiantly derogatory manner against him? Wow, so many hypocritical double standards here…

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:20pm
  18. leave my name out of your comments. You don’t know me. Thanks.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:22pm
  19. As a gay man myself, I don’t get offended. They’re just words. The only reason people get offended by words is because they let it.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:22pm
  20. then take your double standards elsewhere. thanks

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:24pm
  21. I think it’s more about the implied meaning of a comment like “nice crocs, fag”. It’s meant to be derogatory, it’s meant to imply that “fags wear crocs” thats where the distinction lies, I believe.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:24pm
  22. I understand the argument that “they are just words” but they still hurt. It’s like calling a trans* person a tranny, etc. just a word, but depending on the person, can be pretty hurtful

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:25pm
  23. yet it is ok for you to call him a fag.. yet, you are upset over him using the word as a joke between friends… with no hate behind the word… I agree, poor choice of wording, but it was not meant to cause harm to his friend.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:26pm
  24. I don’t hve double standards. Like I said, you don’t know me.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:26pm
  25. go away, troll.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:27pm
  26. I am a troll for pointing out your double standards? lol

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:28pm
  27. Not worth getting all butthurt about it. He’s a college age guy saying something kinda dumb. Move on

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:28pm
  28. I was making a point. A word is never a word, there is always meaning attached. Did you pay attention in school, Aussie?

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:29pm
  29. @Elyse: you have a point there. Ive just always been a strong minded person

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:30pm
  30. And elyse is being double-standardy

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:31pm
  31. The word fag also means derogation, disparagement and depreciation. Which means to belittle someone. The only people who should be offended are croc wearers.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:31pm
  32. He apologized..move on.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:32pm
  33. absolutely John. I hear your point and I understand it. I just even though you are that way, some people aren’t. Using that language, whether or not it is meant to be offensive, is seen as such by a good amount of people. I don’t want to say “majority” because I am not gay myself.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:32pm
  34. it is also small twigs or wood used to start a fire, or a cigarette… it has many meanings, and uses… there was no malice , spite or hate behind the word, and was said to a friend of his…. if anyone could take offense is his friend… obviously he has not…

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:33pm
  35. I agree with John, and heres my other issue, the gay community uses it ALL the time. If its so offensive they should stop. I feel the same way about N***A, if you’re gonna use it, don’t get pissed when others do.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:42pm
  36. “I hope I didn’t offend anybody.” Ummm………too late, Noah. You should know better.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 6:46pm
  37. Is that a nazi name sure sounds like one to me.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 7:08pm
  38. Nice role model

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 7:27pm
  39. KEEP YOUR APOLOGY, I THINK I HAVE SEEN YOU AT SPLASH. YOU KNOW YOU LIKE THE MEN.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 7:38pm
  40. Apologizing is a step in the right direction, at least. He was probably raised with that kind of language and by now it’s force of habit. Habits don’t change overnight.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 8:15pm
  41. I intend to believe it is a real apology. We should focus on and condemn the society as whole rather than specific person.(it doesn’t mean we should stop notice such expression but we should do more to chage the atomasphere) We need to bear in mind that it is the current society’s atomasphere that give birth to such usage of words and expressions. If one lives in an environment full of discrimmination against “different” people. It is likely for one to absorb those concepts into their own expressions(afterall we are social being, we learn from our surroundings whether it is bad or good) The ideal of “fit in with society(unfortunately the current value of society is majorityly against US)” is a powerful hyponosis.

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 9:15pm
  42. Many sport’s players are simply thugs at best, few nowadays have integrity.

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 1:53am
  43. It’s hard to eat words.

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 7:11am