Third accuser claims he was underage when he had sex with Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash

Monday, November 26, 2012

NEW YORK — A third man has come forward alleging he had engaged in sexual activity when he was only 16-years-old, with former “Sesame Street” puppeteer Kevin Clash.

The accuser, now 29 and identified only as “John Doe” for now, says he met Clash on a gay chat line, where the two talked for several days before Clash invited the teen to his apartment. The accuser claimed he engaged in “some sexual activity” with Clash.

Kevin Clash

“Doe” will be filing a lawsuit in Manhattan Federal Court on Tuesday, according to his attorney Jeff Herman.

Herman said his client started writing a book in 2009 describing his experience with Clash, and that he will have pages from that book at a press conference Tuesday to announce the lawsuit, reported the New York Daily News.

The allegation comes just days after Cecil Singleton, who Herman also represents, filed a lawsuit against Clash, and two weeks after Sheldon Stephens made the first accusations of engaging in sexual activity with Clash while still a minor. Stephens retracted his claim the day after making the accusation, describing the relationship with Clash as adult and consensual.

Singleton also said he had met the actor and puppeteer on a gay chat line and had sexual encounters with him over a two-week period while he was still underage; his lawsuit seeks damages in excess of $5 million.

At the time Singleton’s lawsuit was announced, Herman said he had been contacted by two other potential victims and expected additional legal actions to follow.

Clash, who was the voice and puppeteer for the popular “Elmo” character since 1985, resigned from the Sesame Workshop last week following Singleton’s allegations, saying he didn’t want to create a distraction from the show.

“Personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work ‘Sesame Street’ is doing and I cannot allow it to go on any longer,” Clash said. “I am deeply sorry to be leaving and am looking forward to resolving these personal matters privately.”

Clash, 52, served as the senior Muppet coordinator and Muppet captain, and in his 28 years with the Sesame Workshop, won 23 daytime Emmy awards and one prime-time Emmy.

He is divorced and the father of a grown daughter; Clash acknowledged publicly that he is gay when the first allegation against him was made.

A representative for Clash’s said the lawsuit has no merit.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. wonder if this is a nom and republican lie factory scandal – make publicity to push their agendas

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 9:57pm
  2. I smell bandwagon.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:00pm
  3. I don’t know what’s going on. I hope it’s not true. He’s ruined.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:01pm
  4. I really hope this story isn’t true but, there are lots of 18 year olds that have sex with 16 year olds. this sounds more like a money grab. :(

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:01pm
  5. I don’t believe it for a second, Kevin Clash is a good man!!

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:04pm
  6. Absolute bullshit, all of those “alleged” victims need to grow some balls and shut up.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:05pm
  7. sounds like people out for media attention and money

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:05pm
  8. I am the fourth accuser. Elmo tickled me. Money and fortune, here I come.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:06pm
  9. 5 million in damages?!? Ok once he sues for damages I’m going to sue the accuser for making the gay community look bad! This is exactly why it’s so hard for the gay community to get equal rights is bc a lot of people think we all go after children when it’s not the case, scandals like this just add fuel to the fire of judgment! This group of individuals should be shunned from the community as a whole in my opinion. This man is as guilty as I am as guilty as being married to queen Elizabeth!

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:07pm
  10. I wouldn’t like it if a powerful figure, gay or straight, had sex with a teenager in my family. I hate to say it, but gay people can abuse power just as much as straight people can.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:14pm
  11. did he use the Elmo muppet to seduce these kids?

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:14pm
  12. Yeah, because 16 year olds think muppets are awesome.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:16pm
  13. so underage gay teens troll for older men on gay chat site to do what – blackmail them 15 years later?

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:20pm
  14. Under which age? Also, 16 is legal in Ohio!

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:23pm
  15. Though, I must say, it is rather disheartening to see people engaging in (alleged) victim bashing. Any and all allegations of sexual violence need to be taken seriously. However, given that this is not a case of sexual violence (and not one of sexual misconduct in many states), I guess I shouldn’t complain too loudly.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:25pm
  16. I find it odd as soon as the first one makes the attempt to take legal actions against a person of this guys status more try. It seems out of place.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:27pm
  17. Okay, now it’s just getting pathetic

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:30pm
  18. Okay. NOW this is just getting ridiculous! Are people actually believing this?! All this sounds made up JUST to get money! Not one but THREE “accusations” with no evidence all of whom are now full grown adults.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:43pm
  19. This truly sounds like NOM or some other anti-gay group is putting people up to this.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:44pm
  20. It’s all bullshit. Everyone’s trying to get money now. I hope these people get nothing and karma bites them all in the ass.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 10:59pm
  21. Of course people come to of the works once it’s been reported!! It is scary reporting crimes like these, because you don’t want people to say all the things you are saying. You worry people won’t believe you. You are scared. Gay people can commit crimes! Maybe Mr. Clash should have had sex with men that looked over 18 to avoid this problem. It sounds like he was thinking with Little Elmo too much.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:05pm
  22. And this isn’t a way to get famous. It is a way people feel ashamed. They are in our community and should be protected by us, and not condemned by us. If it turns out they lied and there is evidence, I can sing a different tune. I will not blame a victim, until I have evidence they are a liar.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:07pm
  23. No evidence given to support these claims. All believe when there is physical evidence. Until then its all about the money. Nothing more.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:09pm
  24. I just am pissed that this third guy is coming forward. He engaged willingly in sexual activity with this older man, nowhere did he say he was raped, in fact he says he met with him willingly. This statutory rape shit is getting old really fucking fast…

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:32pm
  25. I don’t feel sorry for fools who make us look bad. You blame victims. I blame a famous man for being an idiot and sleeping with teenagers. I loved Elmo, and I wish Mr. Clash was a better representative for us.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:32pm
  26. Talk about High Price $5 million for a two-week period

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:40pm
  27. Jessica Friedman, I think there was a transposition of your sentence. IN court you don’t have to provide EVIDENCE THAT THEY LIED. You have to prove that something illegal was done by the one you are suing. Improper has nothing to do with it. I think Kelvin should sue the first Man and all the one’s that came later for what it has done to his and Elmo’s images.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:45pm
  28. I’m not backing any one. Not taking sides till further investigations.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:47pm
  29. I’m sorry but this is absolute bull! Even if these stories are true a 16 year old has enough common sense to know right from wrong. I mean whats the teenagers defense…that the gay chat site made them meet this man lol. The “victims” should not get a penny. They’re actual children in this world being molested and raped and that is nothing to take lightly!

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:50pm
  30. Mack Jackson, if Kevin Clash did nothing wrong he will sue them. Fraud isn’t a laughing matter. However, 16 year olds are very inexperienced. That is why we don’t call a 16 year old an adult. That is also why many adults choose not to sleep with them.

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:56pm
  31. well they are just rolling out from under the rocks ain’t they? Why now you got to ask that question.

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 12:29am
  32. @AlecRushford – I absolutely agree with you

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 12:30am
  33. Sounds like a money grab to me. But, to fair, he should have known better if it’s true. In a side note… legal age of consent SHOULD be 16 imo.

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 1:15am
  34. proof ?

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 3:06am
  35. http://welmax.blogspot.com/
    containing unlimited MOBILE and PC downloads. visit the website and like this page for getting updates of all downloads…its amazing friends…

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 3:37am
  36. Getting harder to defend this man. If these allegations are all true, it really saddens me. Minors? I work in a high school…I can not stand teenagers…I just don’t get it.

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 3:50am
  37. I refuse to believe any of this UNLESS they have PROOF. I mean, look what happened to Michael Jackson. 2 little pricks ruined his career a bit (mostly the mothers). I’m just sure these little pricks want attention from the world.

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 7:26am