Sports

Seattle Sounders’ Marc Burch gets fine, suspension for homophobic slur

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Major League Soccer has suspended Seattle Sounders’ Marc Burch for three games after he used a homophobic slur against another player during a playoff match against the opposing Real Salt Lake team last week.

Burch was also fined an undisclosed amount and mandated to take diversity and sensitivity training, reported the Seattle Times.

The three-game suspension effectively puts an end to his participation in the current soccer season.

Burch issued this statement of apology on Friday:

“I apologize for my horrific choice of words last night during our match. This is something that is inconsistent with my family values and because of that I am both disappointed and embarrassed by my level of poor judgment.

“I take seriously my role as a leader in the community and this is completely regrettable and unacceptable. Character matters and I hope through hard work on and off the field to begin earning your respect and trust again.”

MLS commissioner Don Garber said the league “has a zero-tolerance policy in response to this type of behavior from its players or staff.”

“While I understand and believe that Mr. Burch is remorseful, Major League Soccer is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect,” said Garber.

Houston Dynamo midfielder Colin Clark was issued a three-game suspension from the MLS Disciplinary Committee earlier this season for directing a similar slur at a ball boy in Seattle that was caught on video.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. Let us send them a petition thanking them for this!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:32pm
  2. He should have been fined also!!!!! Suspension is nothing more than 3 extra days off work,around the holidays,it’s like a vacation.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:33pm
  3. He deserves it. Betch.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:34pm
  4. The league could and should fine him.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:34pm
  5. 3 game? Pffft if he was in my team i would’ve put him under 10 game suspension.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:36pm
  6. Maybe we need to start a seperate petition abt that

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:36pm
  7. Good. More consequences need to happen for stuff like this

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:38pm
  8. He was fined an undisclosed amount, its good that he reflected on his poor choice of words and that the league takes these issues seriously.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:40pm
  9. does anyone ever read past the headline? He WAS fined.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:41pm
  10. I say faggot all the time, and take no offense when it’s directed at me. Probably shouldn’t say it while on the field but everyone does it when they’re upset. I’m pretty sure he didn’t say faggot because the guy was in a dress, you know? Too sensitive for my taste.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:42pm
  11. GOOD… and 3 months isn’t long enough!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:43pm
  12. This kind of conduct has no place in sportsmanship.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:49pm
  13. I just creatd a petiton it is so easy!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:50pm
  14. Then maybe you need to adjust your immature metaphors Richard. While it may not upset you, it can hurt someone else within earshot. That is not being overly sensitive, it is called being respectful…. You might learn that someday mate.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:50pm
  15. He should be severely punished

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:55pm
  16. If you’ve never used any, any slur in your life which is doubtful; then that’s fabulous for you, mate.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:55pm
  17. Good.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:56pm
  18. Richard, you can stick with the more common immature metaphors, like: shit, fuck, damn, etc… You do not need to resort to the more vile ones like, faggot, cunt, wet-back, etc… At that point you are not making a exlamation in anger, but a proclamation aimed at hurting someone..

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:59pm
  19. Sorry, but I really don’t see one slur as holier than another. I respect your opinion regardless though I remain unswayed.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:07pm
  20. You can sign it on Change.org

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:08pm
  21. I don’t agree with sanctioning him for exercising his freedom of speech. ostracise him? Sure. Suspension? I don’t agree.

If we can insult straights, he can insult gays. Our community insults all the time. When will we get sanctioned?

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:20pm
  22. He is a public figure. He is tentament to being criticed. But even he can punish ppl for things abt him that are untrue and improper. He is on the wrong side of a two way street!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:22pm
  23. Funny how the silent clip shows him over and over saying his angry little rant, so you can read his lips. A real case of arrested development. Even if he went back to middle school today, he would still be an immature asshole

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:28pm
  24. Good. Act like a child, get punished like a child. This is how the world should work.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:53pm
  25. Right on!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:34pm
  26. GOOD…..maybe MORE sports will DO this…..and sports stars will THINK of the price they might have to pay, for such childish behavor.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:35pm
  27. as a major league soccer fan that is fucking awesome that the mls don’t put up with that shit!!

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 12:32am
  28. Serves, him right!!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 1:39am