Florida

Parents accuse teacher of ‘contributing’ to turning their daughter gay

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. — A Florida high school teacher has filed a complaint against the Deerfield Beach, Fla., school district over its handling of an investigation after a parent alleged that she had a hand in turning a student into a lesbian.

Juliet Hibbs, who is straight, was investigated last year for misconduct after the girl’s parents made the allegations to the school’s principal. Eventually, the district cleared her and no action was taken.

Juliet Hibbs

According to the district’s investigative report, the incident began last year while the student was in Hibbs’ class. The student was reportedly barraged with incendiary messages from her stepfather on her Twitter feed after he discovered the girl’s orientation, reported the Broward Sun Sentinel.

Hibbs said she reported the stepfather’s messages as child abuse and cyber-bullying.

The parents told investigators they were upset that Hibbs had not told them about their daughter’s sexual orientation, and accused her of possibly contributing to their daughter being gay.

“I was shocked by the charges” and the principal’s decision to have the district pursue the matter, said Hibbs, 47, who is now filing a case with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against the school system.

[...]

Hibbs said the complaint should have been handled by the school and she believes the district investigation was an attempt to bully her for being too outspoken on other school issues.

“My career has been ruined. Before Deerfield, I had an impeccable record,” said Hibbs, an educator for 10 years. She said she now has several medical problems from the stress of the situation that will likely prevent her from teaching.

LGBT advocates also called the charges absurd.

“A teacher doesn’t determine the sexual orientation of a student,” said Dr. Katharine Campbell, director of clinical services at SunServe in Broward County, which works with gay youth. She said teachers are there to help students find out who they are and helping them shouldn’t bring repercussions.

“I reported properly and I was charged with professional misconduct for reporting the abuse,” Hibbs wrote in a Facebook post Monday. “This was a tactic by my bullying principal.”

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Florida

1. wow really?

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:01pm
  2. :-[

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:01pm
  3. Seriously?I wish people would educate themselves!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:01pm
  4. What crap!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:01pm
  5. if that’s the case i have a few i could blame but hell i just thank them

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:01pm
  6. Rubbish

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:02pm
  7. ouch..that not good

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:02pm
  8. I have a gay teenager-that is impossible

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:02pm
  9. Because hanging out with tall people totally makes you tall.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:02pm
  10. I’ll say here what I told a friend earlier – if we were able to be ‘turned’ gay, I would have been a lesbian a LONG time ago! Such ignorance.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:03pm
  11. I’ve heard it all now

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:03pm
  12. youve got to be kidding

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:04pm
  13. Smh, an we’re still trying to blame folks for homosexuality..

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:04pm
  14. Yes, Teachers have an amazing ability to do that

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:04pm
  15. morons.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:04pm
  16. People are so dumb.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:05pm
  17. bananas absolutely bananas

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:05pm
  18. ridiculous

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:06pm
  19. Hang in there.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:06pm
  20. All my friends were tall. I’m really short. My teachers were short. It HAS to be that my teachers made me short!!

Seriously, though, the fact that there was an investigation involving the teacher is absolutely absurd. Also, since when was it anyone’s obligation to disclose one’s sexual orientation?

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:07pm
  21. The teacher was supportive of a student, that’s not the same thing as “turning” them gay, as if such a thing were possible. Wow. Florida.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:07pm
  22. This is just ridiculous. I wish I had someone I felt I could go to when I was in high school.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:10pm
  23. ITS GENETIC FROM THE FATHERS SIDE OF THE GENOME.ITS THE FATHERS FAULT IF ANYONES.So when all you baby fairies come out be sure to thank your daddy for his gay dna!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:10pm
  24. Only thing the teacher did wrong was trust the school.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:11pm
  25. WTF?
    Though, I think she’s milking it a bit much by claiming her health problems are so bad she’ll never teach again. Litigious much?

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:16pm
  26. Stand your ground dear.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:16pm
  27. That’s bull. The parents just don’t want to believe it. So the teacher is the blame. The parents need to awake up and love their child. Not to make her feel bad about who she is. And stop blaming the teacher…

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:18pm
  28. Jesus Christ what a bunch of fucking idiots!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:18pm
  29. Morons.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:21pm
  30. I hope she takes them to the cleaners. . .

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:23pm
  31. @ Jake – That has got to be the most inaccurate attempt at information on this topic. You must be a reporter for FOX news.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:24pm
  32. *Dislike D:

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:24pm
  33. yet she needs our (GLBT) support right now. that’s her trade. that’s her vocation. that’s her community. a very frightening prospect to face. (in FL)

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:25pm
  34. What was the student before she was allegedly ‘turned gay’? The teacher should refrain from making any comments about this on FB.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:28pm
  35. SEXUALITY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:28pm
  36. omg seriously, she is a teacher and a great teacher excepts a student for who they really are, the parents need counseling or something. just because u do not want to accept that ur daughter is gay does not mean that u need to blame everyone u can think of to fill ur void of nonacceptance.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:30pm
  37. No, her parents made her gay.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:30pm
  38. The fu with Jakes comment?mlol.. It made me laugh though.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:33pm
  39. If anything, if I was in her shoes, I would sue the education system for failing me. She’s clearly ignorant.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:38pm
  40. No. The girl is gay because that is her natural orientation. No one can turn anyone gay. You are or you are not…or sometimes you go both ways. That is just how the individual was born.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:38pm
  41. BTW…I am a natural bisexual. Always have been one and always will be one. It was not a choice. No one made me attracted to both genders. I am not confused. I am 30 years old and accept my sexuality now. It was hard…but since it never went away, I’ve accepted it.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:44pm
  42. the is a lesbian because she is arrtached to girls like im arrtached to both genders i wasent forced it was natural

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:49pm
  43. also i dont wont to live on this planet any more humans have failed

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:51pm
  44. How did her parents make the girl gay Loraine?! She was born a lesbian. No one is to blame. And it is okay to be gay.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:53pm
  45. someone plz restore my faith in humanity cuz this shit right here is just plain sad

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:54pm
  46. The parents need to grow a pair…seriously. A person is gay because they want to be or they just are. People don’t ‘contribute’ to someone’s orientation. Idiots.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:56pm
  47. Those parents need to get a life!!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:15pm
  48. Brandon, if you watch, the news reports mostly negative. Don’t allow the news to form your opinion in humanity. News builds stories from the truth. Which means, the story may have very little truth in it……

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:17pm
  49. How dumb can someone be to think this teacher could “turn” someone gay. But then again, look at those that think they can “turn” a gay person straight.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:24pm
  50. Wow… we have that power? I am going to turn everyone gay :) Yeay – Especially the homophobes – LOL

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:32pm
  51. Ignorance at its best here

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:37pm
  52. Eric, homophobes already have homosexual tenancies. Not like your work is going to be difficult!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:39pm
  53. This is just crazy!!

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:43pm
  54. LMAO!!! :-{P}

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:14pm
  55. 1st off… depending on the childs #age# id feel the same..even as a lesbian myself.. nothing thus far can prove being gay.. is more nature the nurture & vise versa.. some children.. tend to mimic behavior they see.. ie all these so call “gay” youngins..who eventually come to terms they arent gay..but exploring.. to figure themselves out. Would i blame the teacher.. well only and only if she exposed the child to that behavior.. if there other children in the school that are “gay” well then..you can necessarily blame the teacher…but blame the social influence the others have.. children know nothing about “being gay”.. all they know is that there different.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:34pm
  56. What utter fucking bullshit, Stacy Holland-Zigas! There are straight people in the world, and there are gay people in the world, and EVERY kid, just like every adult, has to grow the fuck up and deal with it. Nobody is going to hide every gay fuck, or even every straight sucking-face-in-public fuck from sight every time a child goes shopping with their parents. Kids don’t need to see inappropriate behavior from anyone, gay or straight, but just seeing a gay person being themselves is NOT inappropriate, any moreso than seeing a hetero person being themselves is inappropriate. I don’t like taking my kid to the McDonald’s playland while stupid fucks sit there in the kids’ area sucking face, but it’s life. And seeing that as a kid, sure as hell didn’t turn me straight! You are NOT a lesbian, you are an asshat that likes to USE other people’s lives to meet your agenda. You disgust me.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:57pm
  57. Wish I had a teacher like that… Would have made it a lot easier coming out at 14.

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:09pm
  58. What the hell… I think we need more pro gay teachers, and people in general! We are who we are!

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 12:45am
  59. WTF??????

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 1:25am
  60. There are some right idiots about!!!

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 2:31am
  61. News flash parents: You can’t turn anyone gay, anymore than you can turn a gay person straight.

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 4:21am
  62. This same old tired ass crap about anyone turning anyone gay….try to come up with a new one, would you, please?

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 4:40am
  63. Your daughter was already gay, this is why she couldn’t tell you in the beginning. Oh the poor ignorant parents.

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 5:07am
  64. This would be hilarious on a sit-com. Please explain to me how this works: How is someone “turned”

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 7:48am
  65. These parents obviously need an education…

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 7:56am
  66. GET REAL.. Its them that did it… Its in their gene pool….. I bet if mom looks closer in hers or her hubbys family tree she will find othe gay or bi, lesbians in her tree ..cuzins or somewhere… and tell her to check her closets too lol

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 10:09am
  67. Are you serious? Maybe she’s gay of her own choice????

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 3:26pm