Massachusetts

Openly gay Republican defeated in Massachusetts U.S. House race

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

SALEM, Mass. — The contest for the 6th Congressional District race ended with veteran Democratic U.S. Congressman John Tierney defeating openly gay Republican challenger Richard Tisei.

Tierney captured 48.3 percent of the vote, compared to Tisei’s 47.3 percent; Independent Daniel Fishman garnered the remaining 4.5 percent of the vote.

Richard Tisei

The Associated Press and Boston Globe declared Congressman Tierney victorious just after 1 a.m. ET, but the Boston Herald reported that the Tisei campaign isn’t conceding, and has alleged irregularities at the ballot box in the crucial city of Lynn.

According to the Herald, Tisei’s campaign manager, Paul Moore, called for time to investigate allegations of voting irregularities, and wants to double-check ballots sent in by members of the military.

“There are some irregularities in some places that are causing us concerns,” Moore said just after midnight. “In Lynn, we’ve had multiple reports of unidentified people saying if you want to continue to get your welfare checks, here’s how you are going to vote, and I don’t think they included Richard Tisei on that list.

“I think that kind of pressure, outside of a polling place, on people who are welfare dependent, is outrageous,” Moore said. “It may not be illegal, but it’s awfully outrageous. … In this kind of situation, I guarantee you Congressman Tierney would not be conceding.”

Tierney brushed off a Herald reporter’s question about the claim as he hugged elated supporters riding high on a night of Democratic victory.

Tierney gave his victory speech — and his only appearance of the night — after hours of keeping supporters waiting at Salem’s Hawthorne Hotel.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. >openly gay
    >republican

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:12am
  2. On this, I couldn’t decide to cheer or sneer. He’s gay, but he’s Republican and spouts the same BS we’ve heard from Republicans about everything except for LGBT rights.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:14am
  3. maybe the repubs judged him as a witch

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:15am
  4. Probably the reason why he got defeated, because it confuses people just like Mittens did. Pfft!!

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:17am
  5. how can someone be gay and republican? OXYMORON!

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:17am
  6. Sell out

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:18am
  7. Log Cabin GOP needs to learn what logs are 4. Laying!

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:18am
  8. Because he cannot be trusted by either side. A gay republican is just pure swiss cheese. Drop off!

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:21am
  9. Republican and Openly gay? how can you be both?

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:25am
  10. I’m glad all of those people bashing him for being a republican are atheists.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:34am
  11. Gay republican ; going against the man in the mirror.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:48am
  12. Good riddance. All gay Republicans need to be taught a lesson by our community.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:50am
  13. @Shawnee: The foundational law document of this nation is a secular document called the US Constitution. I suggest you read it.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:51am
  14. Hey, Mark, you completely missed my point. I know exactly what this country was founded on and how the authors felt about religion in government and in their personal life.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 1:53am
  15. @Shawnee: MY BAD! I took your comment the exact opposite way of your intention. Please forgive me.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 2:00am
  16. The dude is happy with his sexuality and being a Republican. People should look at it like hey he’s a human trying to do something with his life and lost give him a pat on the shoulder and say ” hey you did great anyways” regardless of what he’s doin if he’s happy with it then so be it. Just like how all the gay ppl want straight ppl to think “if they’re happy then so be it.” Oh yeah I forget we live in reality and judging people is all we know how to do.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 2:07am
  17. Uh maybe the democrats had their candidate and her had to be republican to get a chance? I don’t know anything about the dude

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 2:19am
  18. I think the gay community sent a message with this vote. Regardless of his sexuality, the party he pledges to represent are obstacles to the rights of our community. As a gay man, I would never vote for someone just because they’re gay. Given the choice between a straight candidate who’ll defend my rights, or a gay man who won’t, I’ll support the one who supports me every time. What he does in his private life would never enter the equation. I don’t believe this would be judging this candidate, but voting for our rights.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 2:22am
  19. We have enough straight allies that voting for something just because they play for our team is just as dumb as voting straight party even if you don’t like some on the party

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 3:23am
  20. Openly gay republican?

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 6:52am
  21. Why does it seem like such a shock he is a “gay republican”? I thought we are about acceptance. Shouldn’t you accept that he is openly gay AS WELL as Republican. You may not agree with the Republican party; but people choose their parties by what they mostly believe in. No one is going to 100% agree with every value of a party. Just because I’m Democratic does not mean that some Republican values don’t matter to me.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 7:02am
  22. And I’m a Republican who supports gay marriage and marijuana legalization. Wake up people and decide what you want your party to represent, instead of letting your party represent you.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 7:23am
  23. Btw, I didn’t vote for either one of those asshats because Rombama will not lead us in the right direction

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 7:29am
  24. Perchance a new party? People should stop picking one or the other and start a new party, or join the Green or Libretarian parties.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 9:47am